2634 and config file installation

Martin Paljak
This raises the question again - should we install a configuration
file by default with make install ?

--
Martin Paljak
[hidden email]

Re: 2634 and config file installation

Andreas Jellinghaus-2
On Friday 07 October 2005 12:18, Martin Paljak wrote:
> This raises the question again - should we install a configuration
> file by default with make install ?

we shall not overwrite config files.

we could:
a) install it as *.dist
b) install it only if there is no such file
c) only mention what to do in the documentation.

most people use packages or the windows installer
so it is not a very important topic for me and
c) is fine.

if you want to change it to a) or b) and you make
100% sure your code works fine with "make dist",
"make distcheck" and "make uninstall" and everything,
that would be ok for me. but I'm also fine with
the simple situation we have right now.

people are supposed to read the install documentation.
(and we need to add some big fat warning
about that anyway, the situation is not that simple ...)