Alcor Micro AU9540 on Mac

TomLJ
 I have attached this card reader to Mac running OSX10.10.  I was able to use my swedish ID card to enable login to a site requiring these credentials

I downloaded and installed opensc, but not able to get it to work
tom$ opensc-tool -l
# Detected readers (pcsc)
Nr.  Card  Features  Name
0    No              Alcor Micro AU9540

when I put in a blank card that came with the reader

tom$ opensc-tool -l
# Detected readers (pcsc)
Nr.  Card  Features  Name
0    Yes             Alcor Micro AU9540

But nothing else works
tom$ opensc-tool -i
OpenSC 0.14.0 [gcc  4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 6.0 (clang-600.0.51)]
Enabled features: zlib readline openssl pcsc(/System/Library/Frameworks/PCSC.framework/PCSC)
tom$ opensc-tool -a
Using reader with a card: Alcor Micro AU9540
Failed to connect to card: Card not present

I tried with some of my credit cards and same result.

Also tried
tom$ pkcs15-tool -D