CWA 14890

Logi Ragnarsson
Hello,

Does anyone have an opinion about the feasibility of supporting CWA
14890 compliant cards in a generic manner in OpenSC? The spec is
available at the bottom of
http://www.cenorm.be/cenorm/businessdomains/businessdomains/isss/cwa/electronic+signatures.asp
and specifies:

  * a command set based on 7816-8
  * last-round-of-hash+signature operation
  * file structure compliant with iso 7816-15
  * standard names for key and certificate files
  * mutual authentication of terminal and card
  * etc...

In other words I'm hoping that this specification fills the gaps left by
the PKCS#15 and ISO-7816-4,8,etc specifications to form a full card-edge
interface and yet be implementable.

Supporting this would be interesting because CWA 14890 :

  * is supposedly implemented by the GemPlus signture applet
(http://www.gemplus.com/products/dig_sign_cards_range/)
  * will be supported by the next generation of the Axalto java cards.
  * is part of the forthcoming European Citizen Card (ECC) specification
which is now in a review phase (although I'm still looking for the draft)
  * will hopefully form the basis of future european ID cards, in
particular the French are considering this spec and I believe the spec
is at least in part based on the effort by the Germans.

I am working on a project which is expected to be widely deployed in my
admittedly small region and at the moment we are weighing the options of
going with either:
  * cards which implement documented standards and look better in terms
of future interoperability, but currently only have Windows middleware, or
  * proprietary cards which have supported middleware on a range of
platforms.

Regards,
Logi

Fyrirvari/Disclaimer: http://www.landsbanki.is/disclaimer

Re: CWA 14890

Nils Larsch
Logi Ragnarsson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have an opinion about the feasibility of supporting CWA
> 14890 compliant cards in a generic manner in OpenSC?

it should be possible

> The spec is
> available at the bottom of
> http://www.cenorm.be/cenorm/businessdomains/businessdomains/isss/cwa/electronic+signatures.asp
> and specifies:
>
>  * a command set based on 7816-8
>  * last-round-of-hash+signature operation
>  * file structure compliant with iso 7816-15
>  * standard names for key and certificate files
>  * mutual authentication of terminal and card
>  * etc...
>
> In other words I'm hoping that this specification fills the gaps left by
> the PKCS#15 and ISO-7816-4,8,etc specifications to form a full card-edge
> interface and yet be implementable.
>
> Supporting this would be interesting because CWA 14890 :
>
>  * is supposedly implemented by the GemPlus signture applet
> (http://www.gemplus.com/products/dig_sign_cards_range/)
>  * will be supported by the next generation of the Axalto java cards.
>  * is part of the forthcoming European Citizen Card (ECC) specification
> which is now in a review phase (although I'm still looking for the draft)

it's very likely that opensc will support these cards once test objects
are available

>  * will hopefully form the basis of future european ID cards, in
> particular the French are considering this spec and I believe the spec
> is at least in part based on the effort by the Germans.

we'll see ;-)

Nils