Card missing, for a second

J.Witvliet

Hi all,

Did anyone see such behavior before?

With a card firm in the reader, firm in a laptop, PKCS11_eventmanager sometimes (erroneously) reports the card getting missing and found again.

In my case, the consequences are bad, as the “card-out”-event causes my openvpn- connection to be closed.

To make the situation more troublesome: it only happens with a new cardreader I received for evaluation. – not with others-

Could this have anything to do with or not supporting supporting extended APDU’s ?

And getting even obscure: if I setup my VPN-connection, and only do constantly a PING, the tunnel stays stable for hours. However, when I run a Citrix-session through it, 9 out of 10 times, my smartcard gets immediately missing for a fraction of time. Bizarre!

For a moment I’d considered that USB-forwarding to be active, and stealing the reader from my linux-system, but I made sure that is not the case.

HtH, Hans

Re: Card missing, for a second

Hi all,

Hello,

Did anyone see such behavior before?

With a card firm in the reader, firm in a laptop, PKCS11_eventmanager sometimes (erroneously) reports the card getting missing and found again.

In my case, the consequences are bad, as the “card-out”-event causes my openvpn- connection to be closed.

To make the situation more troublesome: it only happens with a new cardreader I received for evaluation. – not with others-

Could this have anything to do with or not supporting supporting extended APDU’s ?

Do you see card or reader events using the pcsc_scan tool?

Re: Card missing, for a second

Yes, I noticed the card removal in the scan log, eventhough the card was still in place...

Tue Mar 21 15:37:09 2017

Reader 0: #[35mGeneric Smart Card Reader Interface [Smart Card Reader Interface] (20070818000000000) 00 00#[0m

  Card state: #[31mCard removed, #[0m

Tue Mar 21 15:37:11 2017

Reader 0: #[35mGeneric Smart Card Reader Interface [Smart Card Reader Interface] (20070818000000000) 00 00#[0m

  Card state: #[31mCard inserted, #[0m

I attach the full log with the device under-test (pluss-ID).

With same software,  I ran identical test, same card, but with different reader

For reference sake; I also attached the  working reference (scr3500) log from pcsc_scan

So the PC/SC layer is reporting a card removal event.

Next step is to get pcscd logs as described in [1] to know what is causing the card removal event.

Do you have the same problem with this reader and a "normal" system (not a compressed&read-only environment)? That would ease debug on your side.

Bye

[1] https://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/ccid.html#support