Firefox Add-on

Johannes Becker-5

Hello,

we have an add-on for Mozilla Firefox that installs opensc-pkcs11.dll as a security device:

http://chipkarte.uni-giessen.de/opensc-pkcs11-install.xpi

Opensc must be installed before installing the add-on.

This installation should be a lot easier for end users.

I don't really know how to add the Gnu license, and if there is a better place for downloading the add-on.

By the way, I only could find the "MozillaSteps" mentioned in

https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/wiki/Using-smart-cards-with-applications

using Google:

https://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/MozillaSteps

This is old enough to talk about "Smart card bundle". I guess, using Firefox might be too much of a secret at the moment.

For manual installation I have german instructions on a page using JavaScript to detect the operating system:

http://chipkarte.uni-giessen.de/opensc-PKCS11Install_DE.shtml

Regards

Johannes

Re: Firefox Add-on

Andreas Schwier (ML)
Hi Johannes,

works for me - however uninstall does not unload the PKCS#11 module.

Can we put the XPI on the OpenSC website ?

Andreas

    ---------    CardContact Software & System Consulting
   |.##> <##.|   Andreas Schwier
   |#       #|   Schülerweg 38
   |#       #|   32429 Minden, Germany
   |'##> <##'|   Phone +49 571 56149
    ---------    http://www.cardcontact.de
                 http://www.tscons.de
                 http://www.openscdp.org

--

    ---------    CardContact Software & System Consulting
   |.##> <##.|   Andreas Schwier
   |#       #|   Schülerweg 38
   |#       #|   32429 Minden, Germany
   |'##> <##'|   Phone +49 571 56149
    ---------    http://www.cardcontact.de
                 http://www.tscons.de
                 http://www.openscdp.org

Re: Firefox Add-on

Martin Paljak-4
Does the module use the "Friendly" flag when loading the module?

These days NSS can select the right certificate when presenting
several, but it still can't handle modules with multiple slots....

Re: Firefox Add-on

Johannes Becker-5

Am Freitag 19 April 2013 schrieb "Andreas Schwier (ML)" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Johannes,

> works for me - however uninstall does not unload the PKCS#11 module.

> Can we put the XPI on the OpenSC website ?

Yes, of course.

I have no idea yet, if it is necessary to add a licence.

Johannes

> > we have an add-on for Mozilla Firefox that installs opensc-pkcs11.dll

> > as a security device:

> > http://chipkarte.uni-giessen.de/opensc-pkcs11-install.xpi

Firefox Extension to install the opensc module

Johannes Becker-5
Hi,

our Firefox extension

  https://chipkarte.hrz.uni-giessen.de/opensc-pkcs11-install.xpi

installs opensc-pkcs11.dll  as a cryptographic module. It will not work
any more with Firefox 43 because it is not signed by Mozilla.

Is there a signed extension around?

Regards
  Johannes

Re: Firefox Extension to install the opensc module

Jean-Pierre Münch
Am 12.10.2015 um 11:27 schrieb Johannes Becker:

> Hi,
>
> our Firefox extension
>
>   https://chipkarte.hrz.uni-giessen.de/opensc-pkcs11-install.xpi
>
> installs opensc-pkcs11.dll  as a cryptographic module. It will not work
> any more with Firefox 43 because it is not signed by Mozilla.
>
> Is there a signed extension around?
Hi,

You theoretically just could submit it for signing yourself (if you
develop it yourself).
The wiki entry should explain the how-to:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Extension_Signing

BR

JPM

On 12/10/15 19:30, Jean-Pierre Münch wrote:

> Am 12.10.2015 um 11:27 schrieb Johannes Becker:
>> Hi,
>>
>> our Firefox extension
>>
>>   https://chipkarte.hrz.uni-giessen.de/opensc-pkcs11-install.xpi
>>
>> installs opensc-pkcs11.dll  as a cryptographic module. It will not work
>> any more with Firefox 43 because it is not signed by Mozilla.
>>
>> Is there a signed extension around?
> Hi,
>
> You theoretically just could submit it for signing yourself (if you
> develop it yourself).
> The wiki entry should explain the how-to:
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Extension_Signing

There's also:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/est-pkcs11-load/

Source: https://github.com/open-eid/firefox-pkcs11-loader

Am 12.10.2015 um 19:01 schrieb Martin Paljak:

> There's also:
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/est-pkcs11-load/

Great! Thanks a lot!

It doesn't work on OS X (10.10). Probably the path should include

/Library/OpenSC/lib

Our old Firefox extension just provides opensc-pkcs11.so without a path.
That works as well.

Regards
  Johannes

Re: Firefox Extension to install the opensc module

David Woodhouse
On Mon, 2015-10-12 at 20:01 +0300, Martin Paljak wrote:

> On 12/10/15 19:30, Jean-Pierre Münch wrote:
> > Am 12.10.2015 um 11:27 schrieb Johannes Becker:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > our Firefox extension
> > >
> > >   https://chipkarte.hrz.uni-giessen.de/opensc-pkcs11-install.xpi
> > >
> > > installs opensc-pkcs11.dll  as a cryptographic module. It will
> > > not work
> > > any more with Firefox 43 because it is not signed by Mozilla.
> > >
> > > Is there a signed extension around?
> > Hi,
> >
> > You theoretically just could submit it for signing yourself (if you
> > develop it yourself).
> > The wiki entry should explain the how-to:
> > https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Extension_Signing
>

> There's also:
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/est-pkcs11-load/
>
> Source: https://github.com/open-eid/firefox-pkcs11-loader
In most cases on Linux and similar platforms, installing any specific
PKCs#11 module such as OpenSC is actually the wrong thing to do.

Such platforms have a system-wide configuration which indicates which
PKCS#11 modules should be loaded into which process. It's handled by
p11-kit: http://p11-glue.freedesktop.org/doc/p11-kit/pkcs11-conf.html

The above-referenced extensions are basically just working around
Mozilla bug #1161219, which is the fact that NSS (and hence Firefox)
doesn't *obey* the system configuration.

The best way to work around that bug — after you've ensured that bugs
are filed in your distribution of choice and that your vote is added to
the upstream bug at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/1161219 — is to load
the p11-kit-proxy.so module. That, in turn, will inspect the system
configuration and load the appropriate modules.

--
David Woodhouse                            Open Source Technology Centre
[hidden email]                              Intel Corporation