Fix (default) compiler warnings and be more strict

Fix (default) compiler warnings and be more strict

I worked on the idea that important warnings should NOT be ignored.
To do that I add the compilation flag -Werror so that a compilation warning is considered as an error and the automatic compilation from travis-CI will report the build in error.

The current master branch already reports problems, without changing the compiler warnings level.
See [1] for the GNU/Linux gcc 4.6.3 compilation and [2] for the GNU/Linux clang 3.4 compilation.
And [3] for the Mac OS X gcc LLVM 6.0 and [4] for the Mac OS X clang LLVM 6.0.

If I enable -Werror (as done in my travis PR [5]) the 4 compilations fails.
I have not modified the compilation on MinGW.

My plan is to:
1. fix the few warnings reported
2. merge the -Werror change so that all future PR will be tested
3. increase the warning level and fix corresponding bugs (if time permit)

Re: Fix (default) compiler warnings and be more strict

Douglas E Engert
Sounds good.

On 2/28/2016 11:34 AM, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I worked on the idea that important warnings should NOT be ignored.
> To do that I add the compilation flag -Werror so that a compilation warning is considered as an error and the automatic compilation from travis-CI will report the build in error.
>
> The current master branch already reports problems, without changing the compiler warnings level.
> See [1] for the GNU/Linux gcc 4.6.3 compilation and [2] for the GNU/Linux clang 3.4 compilation.
> And [3] for the Mac OS X gcc LLVM 6.0 and [4] for the Mac OS X clang LLVM 6.0.
>
> If I enable -Werror (as done in my travis PR [5]) the 4 compilations fails.
> I have not modified the compilation on MinGW.
>
> My plan is to:
> 1. fix the few warnings reported
> 2. merge the -Werror change so that all future PR will be tested
> 3. increase the warning level and fix corresponding bugs (if time permit)
>
> Comments?
> Volunteers to help on this task?
>
> Regards,
>
> [1] https://travis-ci.org/OpenSC/OpenSC/jobs/112371473
> [2] https://travis-ci.org/OpenSC/OpenSC/jobs/112371472
> [3] https://travis-ci.org/OpenSC/OpenSC/jobs/112418930
> [4] https://travis-ci.org/OpenSC/OpenSC/jobs/112418929
> [5] https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/pull/692
>
> --
>   Dr. Ludovic Rousseau

Re: Fix (default) compiler warnings and be more strict

I worked on the idea that important warnings should NOT be ignored.
To do that I add the compilation flag -Werror so that a compilation warning is considered as an error and the automatic compilation from travis-CI will report the build in error.

The current master branch already reports problems, without changing the compiler warnings level.
See [1] for the GNU/Linux gcc 4.6.3 compilation and [2] for the GNU/Linux clang 3.4 compilation.
And [3] for the Mac OS X gcc LLVM 6.0 and [4] for the Mac OS X clang LLVM 6.0.

If I enable -Werror (as done in my travis PR [5]) the 4 compilations fails.
I have not modified the compilation on MinGW.

My plan is to:
1. fix the few warnings reported
2. merge the -Werror change so that all future PR will be tested
3. increase the warning level and fix corresponding bugs (if time permit)

Point 1 and 2 are done and committed.

Point 3 is still work in progress.
I created a .travis-configure script that sets some compiler flags but I have not had the time to work on the new warnings.

My problem is that on Mac OS X the linker complains with:
clang: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-pthread'
The message is misleading and is really generated by the linker, not by the compiler.

And since we now have -Werror the warning is considered an error and the build fails.
I will have to work on this on GNU/Linux, but I don't know when I will be able to do that.