Fun with smartcards

Werner Koch
Hi!

you might be interested in a little project to run chess software on a
smartcard. Have a look at http://www.smartchess.de (not everything has
been translated to English, though).

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

Re: Fun with smartcards

Alaric Dailey

Re: Fun with smartcards

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 20:09, Werner Koch wrote:
> you might be interested in a little project to run chess software on a
> smartcard. Have a look at http://www.smartchess.de (not everything has
> been translated to English, though).

wow, nice project!
finaly a chess computer I might be able to beat? :)

Re: Fun with smartcards

if you initialize the etoken with opensc it should work.
the gnupg home page has some documentation on it, I believe.
basicaly you need

GPGERROR=0.7    # ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/alpha/libgpg-error/
GCRYPT=1.2.0    # ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/libgcrypt/
ASSUAN=0.6.6    # ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/alpha/libassuan/
KSBA=0.9.7      # ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/alpha/libksba/
PINENTRY=0.7.1  # ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/pinentry/
OPENCT=0.5.0    # http://www.opensc.org/
OPENSC=0.8.1    # http://www.opensc.org/
GNUPG=1.9.9     # ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/alpha/gnupg/

that us a cut&paste from a very old script as you can see.
bump all version numbers to the most recent version you can
find and let us know if it still works.

Re: Fun with smartcards

Werner Koch
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:28:07 -0500, Alaric Dailey said:

> Is any work being done for this? Maybe supporting it through PKCS#11?

Oh please not this discussion again.  See gnupg-devel and gnupg-users
of the last 2 weeks.

If you have a pkcs#15 file system on the card it might already work
with gnupg 1.9.19.  If not, I need to get my hands on such a token.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

Re: Fun with smartcards

Alaric Dailey
Werner Koch wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:28:07 -0500, Alaric Dailey said:
>

>>Is any work being done for this? Maybe supporting it through PKCS#11?
>>

>Oh please not this discussion again.  See gnupg-devel and gnupg-users
>of the last 2 weeks.
>
>If you have a pkcs#15 file system on the card it might already work
>with gnupg 1.9.19.  If not, I need to get my hands on such a token.
>

>Salam-Shalom,
>
>   Werner

I did some google searching and I didn't see anything, but I would swear
I saw a post concerning a patch to GPG allowing the use of an eToken,
but that patch has never seemed to be applied.

Futhermore isn't the idea of PKCS#11 that you don't need to have every
card, that is the way the official PGP client works.  If I want to use
my ePass token I just point PGP to its PKCS#11 dll, and *poof* it works.

Re: Fun with smartcards

Andreas Jellinghaus-2
On Saturday 17 September 2005 17:57, Alaric Dailey wrote:
> Futhermore isn't the idea of PKCS#11 that you don't need to have every
> card, that is the way the official PGP client works.  If I want to use
> my ePass token I just point PGP to its PKCS#11 dll, and *poof* it works.

I'm sure werner will welcome a patch to replace the opensc native interface
with a generic pkcs#11 interface. looks like you forgot to attach your patch.
please do so :)

Re: Fun with smartcards

Werner Koch
On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:05:25 +0200, Andreas Jellinghaus said:

> I'm sure werner will welcome a patch to replace the opensc native interface
> with a generic pkcs#11 interface. looks like you forgot to attach your patch.

Sorry, no.  Check the gnupg-devel archives of the last weeks to read a
long thread about this.  BTW, GnuPG does not use OpenSC anymore.  We
now use simple and straightforward code to access pkcs#15.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner