GetInvolved wiki page

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
Dear all,

I would like to rewrite the GetInvolved page on the wiki to give
developers a clear information.

The idea is to migrate some of this information:
http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/DevelopmentPolicy#Movingmasterforward.
to the GetInvolved front page.

My first question is about GIThub: do you confirm that anyone can now
make a pull request using only GIThub?

Re: GetInvolved wiki page

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
> GetInvolved page

Could you review https://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/GetInvolved
I added a few lines about GIThub OpenSC project.

Next questions:

* Do we still fetch opensc-project development hooks?
scp -p -P 8882 www.opensc-project.org:hooks/commit-msg .git/hooks/ s
I don't know what it is for and propose to remove it.

* Is Gerrit synchronised and are we still using it?

Based on your answers, I will modify the GetInvolved page.

Re: GetInvolved wiki page

Peter Stuge-4
Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE wrote:
> do you confirm that anyone can now make a pull request using only GIThub?

As you know I for one am strongly against centering anything around
the github workflow, especially when gerrit is available.

//Peter

Re: GetInvolved wiki page

Peter Stuge-4
Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE wrote:
> * Do we still fetch opensc-project development hooks?
> scp -p -P 8882 www.opensc-project.org:hooks/commit-msg .git/hooks/ s
> I don't know what it is for and propose to remove it.

Do you agree that it's difficult to propose to remove something you
don't know what it is for? :)

The hook creates the Change-Id for gerrit, allowing a logical change
to be tracked across multiple iterations of the actual commit e.g. in
response to review.

//Peter

Re: GetInvolved wiki page

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
> Do you agree that it's difficult to propose to remove something you
> don't know what it is for? :)

Sure :)

> The hook creates the Change-Id for gerrit, allowing a logical change
> to be tracked across multiple iterations of the actual commit e.g. in
> response to review.

OK. I readded the scp code line with your text in the Gerrit line.

> As you know I for one am strongly against centering anything around
> the github workflow, especially when gerrit is available.

If gerrit is working, it deserves a separate section below
https://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/GetInvolved
== Development process ==
== Using github ==
== Using gerrit ==

So people understand they may use github and/or gerrit.

But my question is:
* Are we still using gerrit?
* Is gerrit synced?

After hearing the community answers, I will rewrite this later today.

Re: GetInvolved wiki page

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
> == Development process ==
> == Using github ==
> == Using gerrit ==

I switched development process in two: github and gerrit
http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/GetInvolved
Please review ...

The last commit log suggest that github is now the main development
tool.

On paper, gerrit is ***perfect*** but if it does not work and is not
used by the community, it is useless and should be kept back untils it
works. So if you agree I would like to add a message indicating that
github is active.

Re: GetInvolved wiki page

2012/6/5 Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE <[hidden email]>:
> But my question is:
> * Are we still using gerrit?
> * Is gerrit synced?
>
> After hearing the community answers, I will rewrite this later today.

As far as I understand the situation:
1- github and gerrit has diverged too much and need to be resync manually
2- a lot of work has been invested in the staging branch on github and
should not be lost
3- the idea is to start gerrit with a new clean copy of what is on github

The problem now is to find manpower (and expertise) to implement point 3.

Once gerrit is usable again the github repository should be read only
to avoid a new divergence.

I do not volunteer for point 3. I was expecting Martin to do it but he
may not have enough free time these days.

The main problem of OpenSC is a lack of trusted manpower.
Andreas (previous leader) left the project.
Martin has limited free time.
I do not use OpenSC much myself but try to help as much as I can.
Viktor is working fine merging github pull requests.

Re: GetInvolved wiki page

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
Dear Ludovic,

I wrote clear indications on:
http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/GetInvolved

The reason for NOTICE and WARNING is to avoid newcomers getting lost.

> The problem now is to find manpower (and expertise) to implement point
> 3.

Sure. I think unleashing creativity and offering liberty for new ideas
and plans is a good way to attract people. We will soon have a testing
farm and a developing farm with all known hardware.

> Once gerrit is usable again the github repository should be read only
> to avoid a new divergence.

I also agree that gerrit is a neutral system and should be used if
working. I am not against gerrit if working. On the converse. Any tool
designed to free communities is welcome.

> I do not volunteer for point 3. I was expecting Martin to do it but he
> may not have enough free time these days.

I understand. You are very busy and I saw all your work in github these
last days. Thanks!

> The main problem of OpenSC is a lack of trusted manpower.
> Andreas (previous leader) left the project.
> Martin has limited free time.
> I do not use OpenSC much myself but try to help as much as I can.
> Viktor is working fine merging github pull requests.

OK. At the moment, github is OK for me. I am contacting Viktor and
Feitian to discuss how to commit OpenSC-SM and ePass2003 branches.

Re: GetInvolved wiki page

"Magosányi, Árpád"
On 06/05/2012 09:38 AM, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
> Hello,
[...]
> 3- the idea is to start gerrit with a new clean copy of what is on github
>
> The problem now is to find manpower (and expertise) to implement point 3.

I have taken a look into it. It seems simple at first sight. Basically
you just need to clone the repository to the host gerrit is running on,
add write access for gerrit and configure gerrit.basePath using gerrit's
config file.

see
http://gerrit.googlecode.com/svn/documentation/2.0/install.html#create_git_repository_base

If you trust me with an access, I can do it, even if it turns out it is
not _that_ simple.

Re: GetInvolved wiki page

Viktor Tarasov-3
Le 05/06/2012 09:38, Ludovic Rousseau a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> 2012/6/5 Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE <[hidden email]>:
>> But my question is:
>> * Are we still using gerrit?
>> * Is gerrit synced?
>>
>> After hearing the community answers, I will rewrite this later today.
> As far as I understand the situation:
> 1- github and gerrit has diverged too much and need to be resync manually
> 2- a lot of work has been invested in the staging branch on github and
> should not be lost
> 3- the idea is to start gerrit with a new clean copy of what is on github

Start with clean copy is not complicated -- clone bare github repository somewhere in Gerrit's review directory.
We can re-visit the old gerrit proposals and cherry-pick the 'usefull' ones into the new gerrit's project.

> The problem now is to find manpower (and expertise) to implement point 3.

I was ready to do it, but as you know,
have no sufficient rights on gerrit and jenkins connected to opensc-project.org .

Currently I prefer the alternatives jenkins (and gerrit) connected to the github 'staging'.
This allows to gather pending proposals into 'staging' and in the nearest future to prepare the next (major) release of OpenSC.
It also allows the build of packages on multiple platforms and automated testing.

> Once gerrit is usable again the github repository should be read only
> to avoid a new divergence.

I agree, if the alternatives jenkins and gerrit will be used,
or current access rules to jenkins and gerrit on opensc-project.org will be changed.

> I do not volunteer for point 3. I was expecting Martin to do it but he
> may not have enough free time these days.
>
> The main problem of OpenSC is a lack of trusted manpower.
> Andreas (previous leader) left the project.
> Martin has limited free time.
> I do not use OpenSC much myself but try to help as much as I can.
> Viktor is working fine merging github pull requests.

Viktor.

Re: GetInvolved wiki page

Ludovic Rousseau
2012/6/9 Viktor Tarasov <[hidden email]>:

> Le 05/06/2012 09:38, Ludovic Rousseau a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> 2012/6/5 Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE <[hidden email]>:
>>> But my question is:
>>> * Are we still using gerrit?
>>> * Is gerrit synced?
>>>
>>> After hearing the community answers, I will rewrite this later today.
>> As far as I understand the situation:
>> 1- github and gerrit has diverged too much and need to be resync manually
>> 2- a lot of work has been invested in the staging branch on github and
>> should not be lost
>> 3- the idea is to start gerrit with a new clean copy of what is on github
>
> Start with clean copy is not complicated -- clone bare github repository somewhere in Gerrit's review directory.

opensc-project.org server fo not have a /srv/git as documented in the
http://gerrit.googlecode.com/svn/documentation/2.0/install.html#create_git_repository_base

I don't know where the "Gerrit's review directory" is and could not
find a gerrit config file.

On the sever we have:
- a gerrit user with a home dir in /home/gerrit
- $ ls -l /home/gerrit
total 18248
-rw-r--r-- 1 gerrit gerrit 18674518 2011-06-07 21:45 gerrit-2.2.1.war
drwxr-xr-x 7 gerrit gerrit     4096 2011-12-01 12:02 OpenSC.git
drwxr-xr-x 9 gerrit gerrit     4096 2011-12-01 12:22 OpenSC.review

> We can re-visit the old gerrit proposals and cherry-pick the 'usefull' ones into the new gerrit's project.
>
>> The problem now is to find manpower (and expertise) to implement point 3.
>
> I was ready to do it, but as you know,
> have no sufficient rights on gerrit and jenkins connected to opensc-project.org .

The server is not mine. Maybe Martin can accept you as sys admin. Martin?

Re: GetInvolved wiki page

Peter Stuge-4
Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
> I don't know where the "Gerrit's review directory" is and could not
> find a gerrit config file.

ps www $(pidof java)

//Peter

Re: GetInvolved wiki page

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
> I was ready to do it, but as you know,
> have no sufficient rights on gerrit and jenkins connected to
> opensc-project.org .

I suggest that we should share resources and administration.

With Viktor, we volunteer to build daily packages from GIThub using our
own infrastructure, using opensc.fr and the build farm. Packages are
building in virtual machaines, chroots and behing vlan with very limited
connection to internet. Furthermore, we are implementing regression
tests and automatic testing of smartcards.

This will give core developers more time to spend on project guidance
and management. If you spend less time building packages, you have more
time for the core issues and everyone is happy.

What do you think?

Re: GetInvolved wiki page

2012/6/9 Peter Stuge <[hidden email]>:
> Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
>> I don't know where the "Gerrit's review directory" is and could not
>> find a gerrit config file.
>
> ps www $(pidof java)

$ pidof java
24079

$ ps www $(pidof java)
  PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
24079 pts/2    Sl+   29:22 java -jar jenkins.war --httpPort=8889
--httpListenAddress=127.0.0.1 --ajp13Port=-1 --prefix=/autobuild

There is another java process

$ ps www 25775
  PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
25775 ?        Sl   681:58 GerritCodeReview -jar
/home/git/codereview/bin/gerrit.war daemon -d /home/git/codereview
--run-id=1338275543.25754

Re: GetInvolved wiki page

Peter Stuge-4
Ludovic Rousseau wrote:

> >> I don't know where the "Gerrit's review directory" is and could not
> >> find a gerrit config file.
> >
> > ps www $(pidof java)
>
> $ pidof java
> 24079
>
> $ ps www $(pidof java)
>   PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
> 24079 pts/2    Sl+   29:22 java -jar jenkins.war --httpPort=8889
> --httpListenAddress=127.0.0.1 --ajp13Port=-1 --prefix=/autobuild
>
> There is another java process

Good find!

> $ ps www 25775
>   PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
> 25775 ?        Sl   681:58 GerritCodeReview -jar
> /home/git/codereview/bin/gerrit.war daemon -d /home/git/codereview
> --run-id=1338275543.25754

Then /home/git/codereview is gerrit's directory.

//Peter