Help compiling Mac OS 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9 on ONE machine

Help compiling Mac OS 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9 on ONE machine

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
Hello,

The build farm has one Mac OS X machine running compilation scripts:
https://opensc.fr/jenkins/computer/farm-macosx-lion/

This machine also has several systems installed on different partitions:
Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.7), Lion (10.8) and Mountain Lion (10.9). Each
time we need a new installer for 10.7 I just reboot the machine, which
is tedious. We also need installers for 10.9.
So my question is: do you know how to install various development kits
(10.7, 10.8 and 10.9) on one system (10.9) to compile to all targets at
once? Is that possible by design in OpenSC and Mac OS X? I tried Google
but could not achieve this.

Another solution would be to invest into cheap Mac OS X machines on eBay
(Mac mini core solo), which can be found around 150€ each.

I don't want to loose my time and will choose the easiest solution.

Can anyone help me compile to various environments?

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel

Re: Help compiling Mac OS 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9 on ONE machine

Ludovic Rousseau
2012/9/18 Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE <[hidden email]>:

> The build farm has one Mac OS X machine running compilation scripts:
> https://opensc.fr/jenkins/computer/farm-macosx-lion/
>
> This machine also has several systems installed on different partitions:
> Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.7), Lion (10.8) and Mountain Lion (10.9). Each
> time we need a new installer for 10.7 I just reboot the machine, which
> is tedious. We also need installers for 10.9.
> So my question is: do you know how to install various development kits
> (10.7, 10.8 and 10.9) on one system (10.9) to compile to all targets at
> once? Is that possible by design in OpenSC and Mac OS X? I tried Google
> but could not achieve this.

You can install Mac OS X (client) inside VitualBox [1]. It is
technically possible. The legal aspect is another problem.
I only tried using VirtualBox on a Mac. Maybe that is even possible
using VirtualBox on a GNU/Linux machine.

> Another solution would be to invest into cheap Mac OS X machines on eBay
> (Mac mini core solo), which can be found around 150€ each.

That may be the easiest solution. But not the cheapest one (buy the
computers and pay for the electricity bill).

Bye

[1] https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Guest_OSes

Re: Help compiling Mac OS 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9 on ONE machine

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
Dear Ludovic,

> You can install Mac OS X (client) inside VitualBox [1]. It is
> technically possible. The legal aspect is another problem.
> I only tried using VirtualBox on a Mac. Maybe that is even possible
> using VirtualBox on a GNU/Linux machine.

I tried that already and could not use VirtualBox because it only allows
Max OS X Server running as guest. I also invested in a VMware licence
and it never worked for the same reasons.

> That may be the easiest solution. But not the cheapest one (buy the
> computers and pay for the electricity bill).

I am quite busy these last days and I already spent DAYs trying to
compile on a single Mac. There is too little information on the Net and
I don't know if some parts of Mac OS X are needed to make a successful
compilation. Apple says it is possible to install several development
kits on a single machine. Would it work for OpenSC in your opinion?

Re: Help compiling Mac OS 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9 on ONE machine

Emmanuel Dreyfus
On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:00:41AM +0200, Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE wrote:
> I am quite busy these last days and I already spent DAYs trying to
> compile on a single Mac

I spent quite some time to build pcscd and opensc on OS X.5. I got all
the binaries working, opensc is able to talk to the card, however I never
managed to actually use it with ssh-agent. I gave up and never sent
the patches for review, but if you are interested, I have patches for
building:
opensc-0.12.2
pcsc-lite-1.7.4
openssh-5.9p1

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus

Le mardi 18 septembre 2012 à 09:16 +0000, Emmanuel Dreyfus a écrit :

> I spent quite some time to build pcscd and opensc on OS X.5. I got all
> the binaries working, opensc is able to talk to the card, however I
> never
> managed to actually use it with ssh-agent. I gave up and never sent
> the patches for review, but if you are interested, I have patches for
> building:
> opensc-0.12.2
> pcsc-lite-1.7.4
> openssh-5.9p1
Which OS X are talking about? IMHO it already works:
https://opensc.fr/jenkins/job/OpenSC-pkg-MacOSX-10.6/

I just want to compile for several targets (10.6, 10.7 and 10.8) on a
single Mac OS X Moutain Lion machine without rebooting.

Re: Help compiling Mac OS 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9 on ONE machine

helpcrypto helpcrypto
> I tried that already and could not use VirtualBox because it only allows
> Max OS X Server running as guest. I also invested in a VMware licence
> and it never worked for the same reasons.

I needed to run OSX on a windows host vmware computer to test our
smartcard software.
AFAIK, You cant install OSX on a VM from the official ISO, but need a
fixed/modified image to bypass the...EFI?
Currently have 10.5 and 10.6 on vmware o, but considering OSX costs
(not hardware!), maybe its easier to have that cheap ones.

The reason why i used vmware(player) its cause the USB support was
much better than on virtualbox.

If you want some help, i cand send you some tips how i did it.

Re: Help compiling Mac OS 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9 on ONE machine

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
Le jeudi 20 septembre 2012 à 08:58 +0200, helpcrypto helpcrypto a
écrit :
> AFAIK, You cant install OSX on a VM from the official ISO, but need a
> fixed/modified image to bypass the...EFI?
> Currently have 10.5 and 10.6 on vmware o, but considering OSX costs
> (not hardware!), maybe its easier to have that cheap ones.

Thanks for the proposal. I also considered this solution, but using
modified images for compiling is not a solution IMHO. I am always afraid
it might contain spyware / hoaxes and I only use pristine OSes.

I placed a bid for 2 Mac Mini for 300 EUR on eBay and the seller
accepted. So it seems that we finally have a solution.