Installing OpenSC on a MAC...

Dan Peterson [ESnet]

Re: Installing OpenSC on a MAC...

Martin Paljak-2

On Jun 26, 2010, at 01:01 , Dan Peterson wrote:
> I downloaded and ran the installer from [1] for Mac OS X 10.6
> Using Aladdin eToken pro 64k; trying something like pkcs15-tool -D gives "no
> reader found"
>
> Help?
You need a driver for your token USB layer. Mac OS X includes the CCID driver but the eToken is AFAIK not CCID/ICCD.

--
Martin Paljak
@martinpaljak.net

Re: Installing OpenSC on a MAC...

Dan Peterson [ESnet]

Re: Installing OpenSC on a MAC...

Emmanuel Dreyfus
Dan Peterson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What about the 72K JAVA? Is that CCID

Yes, but when I tested it did not work with OpenSC. Did that change?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
http://hcpnet.free.fr/pubz

On Jun 29, 2010, at 14:24 , Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:

> Dan Peterson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> What about the 72K JAVA? Is that CCID
>
> Yes, but when I tested it did not work with OpenSC. Did that change?

If you have an enginering sample which supports uploading applets and you work through uploading the applet, it does work. It is not a native card, so some obstacles are probable, unless you're comfortable with working with JavaCards.

That's due to change, but only in the form of better documentation.

--
Martin Paljak
@martinpaljak.net

Re: Installing OpenSC on a MAC...

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 13:24 +0200, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:

> > What about the 72K JAVA? Is that CCID
> Yes, but when I tested it did not work with OpenSC. Did that change?

Java cards support is still in active development. These last years
there was a switch from traditional smartcards to Java cards.

On paper, it seems interesting to install and customize your own applet.
But in reality, traditional smartcards work a lot better. Java card
support in OpenSC is still in active development.

I can only encourage you to use a traditional token.

On Gooze, I am currently testing Javacards. If this worked, we would
sell them. The reason why we don't sell Java cards is that it does not
work for the normal GNU/Linux or Mac OS X user. Unless you are a skilled
developer, stay away from Java cards. My opinion.

On Jun 29, 2010, at 14:26 , Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE wrote:
> These last years
> there was a switch from traditional smartcards to Java cards.
I would call it the slow fall of proprietary/legacy (not traditional) smart cards and the rise of an open platform where one can choose vendors.
Yes, the "java card environment on the paper" is always ahead of the real life by few years... But all technologies first exist on the paper and then in mass market.

> On paper, it seems interesting to install and customize your own applet.
It is not only interesting, it is the only possibility to implement functionality that the "traditional" smart cards often don't provide (but what could be expected from "small HSM-s" that smart cards are these days)

> But in reality, traditional smartcards work a lot better.
This depends on the requirements and context.

> Java card
> support in OpenSC is still in active development.
Software is always (at least should be) in constant development and evolution. Code in standstill is .... dead code.

To ease the pain of installing (ok, a somewhat outdated version but still fully functional) MuscleApplet to a clean JavaCard to make it usable with OpenSC pkcs15-init, I've started the SmartCardWebApplet effort, which I described in length (I hope) in a previous mailing [1]

> I can only encourage you to use a traditional token.
By using *tokens* you loose the ability to use pinpads which at the same time leaves you open to a plethora of attacks (if you care about them).
Even though JavaCards could be difficult to use they are vendor neutral and more future proof investment than the so called traditional tokens.

> On Gooze, I am currently testing Javacards.
Which ones? What are the properties of the card (GlobalPlatform version, JavaCard version, EEPROM, supported key sizes, FIPS level, speed)?
Care to add the information to [2]?

[1] http://www.opensc-project.org/pipermail/opensc-devel/2010-June/014407.html
[2] http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/JavaCard
--
Martin Paljak
@martinpaljak.net

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 18:07 +0300, Martin Paljak wrote:
> I've started the SmartCardWebApplet effort, which I described in
> length (I hope) in a previous mailing [1]

Very nice initiative.