Is openct dead?

Eric Dorland-4
Hi,

Debian maintainer of openscy stuff here. I'm wondering if openct is
worth having in Debian anymore as it doesn't seem to have seen any
release or even significant changes in the last 4 years
(https://github.com/OpenSC/openct/commits/master). Its popularity in
Debian is also dwindling
(https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=openct).

I guess my question is if I removed it from Debian for the next
release, would anyone be sad?

--
Eric Dorland <[hidden email]>
43CF 1228 F726 FD5B 474C  E962 C256 FBD5 0022 1E93

Re: Is openct dead?

Douglas E Engert

On 8/27/2014 4:54 PM, Eric Dorland wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Debian maintainer of openscy stuff here. I'm wondering if openct is
> worth having in Debian anymore as it doesn't seem to have seen any
> release or even significant changes in the last 4 years
> (https://github.com/OpenSC/openct/commits/master). Its popularity in
> Debian is also dwindling
> (https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=openct).
>
> I guess my question is if I removed it from Debian for the next
> release, would anyone be sad?

To help determine the impact are there any other Debian packages that use openct that can not use pccs-lite?

Re: Is openct dead?

Eric Dorland-4
* Douglas E Engert ([hidden email]) wrote:

> On 8/27/2014 4:54 PM, Eric Dorland wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Debian maintainer of openscy stuff here. I'm wondering if openct is
> > worth having in Debian anymore as it doesn't seem to have seen any
> > release or even significant changes in the last 4 years
> > (https://github.com/OpenSC/openct/commits/master). Its popularity in
> > Debian is also dwindling
> > (https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=openct).
> >
> > I guess my question is if I removed it from Debian for the next
> > release, would anyone be sad?
>
> To help determine the impact are there any other Debian packages
> that use openct that can not use pccs-lite?
There are no dependencies on openct as far as I was able to determine.

On 8/28/2014 3:46 PM, Eric Dorland wrote:

> * Douglas E Engert ([hidden email]) wrote:
>>

>> On 8/27/2014 4:54 PM, Eric Dorland wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Debian maintainer of openscy stuff here. I'm wondering if openct is
>>> worth having in Debian anymore as it doesn't seem to have seen any
>>> release or even significant changes in the last 4 years
>>> (https://github.com/OpenSC/openct/commits/master). Its popularity in
>>> Debian is also dwindling
>>> (https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=openct).
>>>
>>> I guess my question is if I removed it from Debian for the next
>>> release, would anyone be sad?
>>
>> To help determine the impact are there any other Debian packages
>> that use openct that can not use pccs-lite?
>
> There are no dependencies on openct as far as I was able to determine.

Well that sort of answers the question for Debian. Even if it is dropped from Debian, the source is still available from github.

But others on this list should speak up.

Re: Is openct dead?

Andreas Schwier (ML)
OpenCT is left over from times where pcsc was not yet the default for
accessing cards and token.

IMHO there is no longer a need for OpenCT, unless someone works in a
constraint environment (e.g. embedded systems).

As the source is still available, I don't see the need to have it
packaged in Debian.

Andreas

On 08/29/2014 01:03 AM, Douglas E Engert wrote:

> On 8/28/2014 3:46 PM, Eric Dorland wrote:
>> * Douglas E Engert ([hidden email]) wrote:

>>> To help determine the impact are there any other Debian packages
>>> that use openct that can not use pccs-lite?
>>
>> There are no dependencies on openct as far as I was able to determine.
>
> Well that sort of answers the question for Debian. Even if it is dropped from Debian, the source is still available from github.
>
> But others on this list should speak up.

Re: Is openct dead?

Martin Paljak-4
Yes, OpenCT should only be of historic interest these days.
+372 515 6495

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 12:55 PM, Andreas Schwier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> OpenCT is left over from times where pcsc was not yet the default for
> accessing cards and token.
>
> IMHO there is no longer a need for OpenCT, unless someone works in a
> constraint environment (e.g. embedded systems).
>
> As the source is still available, I don't see the need to have it
> packaged in Debian.
>
> Andreas
>
> On 08/29/2014 01:03 AM, Douglas E Engert wrote:

>>> There are no dependencies on openct as far as I was able to determine.
>>
>> Well that sort of answers the question for Debian. Even if it is dropped from Debian, the source is still available from github.
>>
>> But others on this list should speak up.

Re: Is openct dead?

Eric Dorland-4
Hearing no defenders, filed for the removal of openct:
http://bugs.debian.org/760258.