License clarification

Jakub Jelen
Hello,
I was going through the files in the OpenSC repository and noticed
several files with missing/unknown licenses.

These files miss any open source license headers (adding Olaf Kirch if
the email is still valid who is author):

src/pkcs15init/pkcs15-init.h
src/pkcs15init/profile.h
src/libopensc/reader-openct.c
src/common/libpkcs11.c
src/pkcs11/mechanism.c
src/pkcs11/openssl.c

These files miss also header, but says about the source in pcsc-lite
(adding Ludovic, who should be able to clarify the license):

src/libopensc/internal-winscard.h
src/common/compat_strlcpy.h

Several more files without contact information:

src/common/compat_report_rangecheckfailure.c
src/common/compat_getopt_main.c

And some more files from Juha Yrjölä (if the mail still works) without
any open source license header:

src/tests/lottery.c
src/tests/p15dump.c
src/tests/pintest.c
src/tests/print.c
src/tests/prngtest.c

Can we get the clarification from the original authors, or is there
somebody in the project who would be able to clarify the licenses and
update the files to make sure the license is in align with the project?

Jakub Jelen
Software Engineer
Security Technologies
Red Hat

Re: License clarification

Vincent Le Toux
Hi,

src/common/compat_report_rangecheckfailure.c => it is me
Do whatever you want with it ;-)

regards,
Vincent

[...]

My Smart Logon
www.mysmartlogon.com

Re: License clarification

Jakub Jelen
On 03/06/2017 11:13 AM, Olaf Kirch wrote:

> Hi Jakub,
>
> Please refresh my memory; what is the license of the other files in
> pkcs15init and the pkcs11 code that I authored? Any files missing
> license information should use the same.

The other files (for example src/pkcs15init/pkcs15-cardos.c) are LGPL
2.1 or later if I read right (as the whole project).

Thank you for clarification. I will take care of the update in the
upstrem repository with reference to this email.

Jakub

> On Mon, 2017-03-06 at 10:57 +0100, Jakub Jelen wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I was going through the files in the OpenSC repository and noticed
>> several files with missing/unknown licenses.
>>
>> These files miss any open source license headers (adding Olaf Kirch
>> if
>> the email is still valid who is author):
>>
>> src/pkcs15init/pkcs15-init.h
>> src/pkcs15init/profile.h
>> src/libopensc/reader-openct.c
>> src/common/libpkcs11.c
>> src/pkcs11/mechanism.c
>> src/pkcs11/openssl.c

Re: License clarification

Hi Jakub,

my assumption always was: one clear license statement for the whole software is good enough - only divergent files got marked as such.
For the core files we might have the boilerplate in each file, but I felt that was "nice to have", and not essential.

All files are good from my perspective, as they are opensc core files, only these two could be checked in detail:

src/libopensc/internal-winscard.h

ah, seems this was added in 2008 as part of some build system change? ludovic would know what license this would have, if it comes from pcsc.

indicates BSD license, but it is better to clarify this with ludovic.

src/common/compat_strlcpy.h

either this file is too trivial to be protected by copyright, or it is licensed under the same BSD clause as compat_strlcpy.c. Either way opensc is fine.

[...]

Martin Paljak-4
Maybe the tests/files that are quite arbitrary and not really used these days, can be just removed as noise?

On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 at 13:40 Andreas Jellinghaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

typos expected due to mobile device

Re: License clarification

> Hi Jakub,
>
> my assumption always was: one clear license statement for the whole software is good enough - only divergent files got marked as such.
> For the core files we might have the boilerplate in each file, but I felt that was "nice to have", and not essential.
>
> All files are good from my perspective, as they are opensc core files, only these two could be checked in detail:
>
> src/libopensc/internal-winscard.h
>
> ah, seems this was added in 2008 as part of some build system change? ludovic would know what license this would have, if it comes from pcsc.
>
> https://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/api/winscard_8h_source.html
>
> indicates BSD license, but it is better to clarify this with ludovic.

From a file comment:
/* Mostly copied from pcsc-lite, this is the minimum required */

So the license should be the same as for pcsc-lite i.e. 3-clause BSD license as in, the original, https://github.com/LudovicRousseau/PCSC/blob/master/src/PCSC/winscard.h

> src/common/compat_strlcpy.h
>
> either this file is too trivial to be protected by copyright, or it is licensed under the same BSD clause as compat_strlcpy.c. Either way opensc is fine.

I wrote this file because the corresponding strlcpy.c has no .h file.
I added a license in the strlcpycat.h file for pcsc-lite. See https://github.com/LudovicRousseau/PCSC/blob/master/src/strlcpycat.h

Re: License clarification

Jakub Jelen
On 03/06/2017 12:11 PM, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> Hi Jakub,
>
> my assumption always was: one clear license statement for the whole
> software is good enough - only divergent files got marked as such.
> For the core files we might have the boilerplate in each file, but I
> felt that was "nice to have", and not essential.

Hello Andreas,
I am no expert on licenses, but there are automatic tools for checking
the source files (for example in Fedora review tool) to make sure
nothing "wrong" gets into releases and identify "the divergent files".
Since I was in this process, I decided to clarify the missing bits so
other people going through the similar processes will not have to
struggle with similar problems.

The license are good and you are most probably right with your
assumption. But having that written directly in the files makes it clean
as it can be without any dispute.

> All files are good from my perspective, as they are opensc core files,
> only these two could be checked in detail:
>
> src/libopensc/internal-winscard.h
>
> ah, seems this was added in 2008 as part of some build system change?
> ludovic would know what license this would have, if it comes from pcsc.
>
> https://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/api/winscard_8h_source.html
>
> indicates BSD license, but it is better to clarify this with ludovic.
>
> src/common/compat_strlcpy.h
>
> either this file is too trivial to be protected by copyright, or it is
> licensed under the same BSD clause as compat_strlcpy.c. Either way
> opensc is fine.

Thank you for details. I have got already a message from Ludovic so I
will put that together,

Thanks,
Jakub

Re: License clarification

Jakub Jelen
On 03/06/2017 01:30 PM, Martin Paljak wrote:
> Maybe the tests/files that are quite arbitrary and not really used these
> days, can be just removed as noise?

Yes, the tests popped on me and there was obvious author so I tried at
least. The other looked more "suspicious" as they are compiled into the
main binaries.

For cross-reference, I submitted PR with these changes:

https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/pull/988

Thanks for cooperation,
Jakub