MacOS 10.8 Mountain Lion and OpenSC

Douglas E. Engert
Is anyone planing on looking at OpenSC and Mac OS 10.8?

especially in light of:
http://lists.apple.com/archives/fed-talk/2011/Jul/msg00099.html

and
http://www.macworld.com/article/165417/2012/02/apple_readies_mac_os_x_mountain_lion_update.html

Re: MacOS 10.8 Mountain Lion and OpenSC

Ludovic Rousseau
Le 23 février 2012 23:15, Douglas E. Engert <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> Is anyone planing on looking at OpenSC and Mac OS 10.8?

I do not expect problem with OpenSC on 10.8. PC/SC is still present.

> especially in light of:
> http://lists.apple.com/archives/fed-talk/2011/Jul/msg00099.html
>
> and
> http://www.macworld.com/article/165417/2012/02/apple_readies_mac_os_x_mountain_lion_update.html

See also http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/smartcardservices-dev/2012-February/000045.html

Bye,

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 00:15, Douglas E. Engert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is anyone planing on looking at OpenSC and Mac OS 10.8?
>
> especially in light of:
> http://lists.apple.com/archives/fed-talk/2011/Jul/msg00099.html
>
> and
> http://www.macworld.com/article/165417/2012/02/apple_readies_mac_os_x_mountain_lion_update.html
Regarding PKCS#11, I doubt there's much happening (I *heard* that the
pcsc-lite version is still the same, but I'm not interested in trying
out Apple betas).

But regarding OpenSC.tokend, given previous experience with it and the
lack of (public or NDA) documentation from Apple regarding the topic,
definitely not before 10.8 has been demod on stage and actual *retail*
copy is available.

If anything, there might be a few things to keep in mind:
 - possible requirement to have signed binaries (and installer?) for
OpenSC.tokend, if still supported
 - possible requirement to play together/through the appstore...
 - tokend/cdsa totally deprecated and a new replacement surfaces
(which would render OpenSC.tokend useless on 10.8 anyway...)

Re: MacOS 10.8 Mountain Lion and OpenSC

Taking a step at a time, I fixed building OpenSC.tokend "cleanly"
(without errors and warnings) on 10.7 [1] [2] with clang and also
documented better the fact that Tokend build makes use of "binary"
components from Apple [3].

Regarding 10.8, I've "heard rumors" that OpenSC (or any other PC/SC
based application) does not work with the latest developer preview -
SCardEstablishContext fails and there's no pcscd binary on the system
either.

I don't have the preview nor would I be willing to debug it before the
retail version is available, but this could be taken as a sign, that
most probably 10.8 will be "revolutionary and change everything we
know about computing", at least when it comes to smart cards :)

[1] https://github.com/martinpaljak/OpenSC.tokend/commits/10.6-0.12.2
[2] https://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/attachment/wiki/MacInstaller/tokend-build-10.7-fix.patch
[3] https://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/MacInstaller#Binarydependencies