Minidriver Basic Question

Sushma
Hello All,

I'm developing a smart card mini driver based on OpenSC code. I have few basic questions regarding the smart card.

  1. Can I use blank card (empty content) for testing with OpenSC mini driver code? If not, what should be the initial content of smart card?
  2. Can I use OpenSC mini driver for non-PKCS#15 smart cards? If not, where can I procure sample PKCS#15 cards?
  3. Does OpenSC mini driver support PKCS#11 smart cards?
  4. The card I'm using at this moment is a non-standard card. Can I still use the OpenSC mini driver code where I can implement card-xxx.c/.h which contains my card specific details?
Any answers would help me understand better.

Thanks and Regards,
Sushma

Re: Minidriver Basic Question

Viktor Tarasov-3
Hello,

Le 14/03/2013 10:33, Sushma a écrit :
> I'm developing a smart card mini driver based on OpenSC code. I have few basic questions regarding the smart card.

OpenSC has it's own mini driver.
Simple curiosity, what is the motivation to develop a "minidriver based on OpenSC code"?

>    1. Can I use blank card (empty content) for testing with OpenSC mini driver code? If not, what should be the initial content of smart card?
>    2. Can I use OpenSC mini driver for non-PKCS#15 smart cards?

Card has to be supported by the OpenSC core.
Minidriver of OpenSC uses the internal PKCS#15 framework; the same framework is used by OpenSC PKCS#11 module.

>    1. If not, where can I procure sample PKCS#15 cards?
>    2. Does OpenSC mini driver support PKCS#11 smart cards?
>    3. The card I'm using at this moment is a non-standard card. Can I still use the OpenSC mini driver code where I can implement card-xxx.c/.h which contains my card specific details?

You have to implement card-xxx.[c,h].
Only valid PKCS#15 on-card structure is needed, native or emulated.

> Any answers would help me understand better.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Sushma

Kind wishes,
Viktor.

Re: Minidriver Basic Question

Sushma
Thank you for the reply.

> Simple curiosity, what is the motivation to develop a "minidriver based on OpenSC code"?

I'm using the startup code of OpenSC and trying to add my card specific code in card-xxx.c and .h file. This would actually save a lot  of time for me.

> Only valid PKCS#15 on-card structure is needed, native or emulated.

In this case, I may not be able to use the OpenSC code as my card does not support PKCS#15.

I'm still researching other possibilities. I'll come back if I have any doubts?

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 1:24 AM, Viktor Tarasov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Le 14/03/2013 10:33, Sushma a écrit :
> I'm developing a smart card mini driver based on OpenSC code. I have few basic questions regarding the smart card.

OpenSC has it's own mini driver.
Simple curiosity, what is the motivation to develop a "minidriver based on OpenSC code"?

>    1. Can I use blank card (empty content) for testing with OpenSC mini driver code? If not, what should be the initial content of smart card?
>    2. Can I use OpenSC mini driver for non-PKCS#15 smart cards?

Card has to be supported by the OpenSC core.
Minidriver of OpenSC uses the internal PKCS#15 framework; the same framework is used by OpenSC PKCS#11 module.

>    1. If not, where can I procure sample PKCS#15 cards?
>    2. Does OpenSC mini driver support PKCS#11 smart cards?
>    3. The card I'm using at this moment is a non-standard card. Can I still use the OpenSC mini driver code where I can implement card-xxx.c/.h which contains my card specific details?

You have to implement card-xxx.[c,h].
Only valid PKCS#15 on-card structure is needed, native or emulated.

> Any answers would help me understand better.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Sushma

Kind wishes,
Viktor.

Re: Minidriver Basic Question

Douglas E. Engert

On 3/18/2013 7:04 AM, Sushma wrote:
> Thank you for the reply.
>
>  > Simple curiosity, what is the motivation to develop a "minidriver based on OpenSC code"?
>
> I'm using the startup code of OpenSC and trying to add my card specific code in card-xxx.c and .h file. This would actually save a lot  of time for me.
>
>  > Only valid PKCS#15 on-card structure is needed, native or emulated.
>
> In this case, I may not be able to use the OpenSC code as my card does not support PKCS#15.

There are a number of non PKCS#15 cards supported bu OpenSC. The PIV card for example,
so don't let the PKCS#15 issue stop you.

The other question is card management. How much (if any) of the card management do you
want the minidriver to do?

With the PIV cards, is the cards are issued by some out side authority. OpenSC
would only be support the end user use of the card. But the piv-tool was created
to allow for minimal card management for test cards. It interfaces to the
card driver bypassing the PKCS#15 and PKCS#11 in some cases. opensc-tool
can also do some of this and both have a -s option to allow you to
issue specific ADPU commands directly to the card.