OpenSC 0.13 + pcscd as a daemon for Android

OpenSC 0.13 + pcscd as a daemon for Android

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
Dear all,

I would like to raise questions about using OpenSC 0.13 under Android. I
hope that Ben from Feitian can participate in this discussion.

The idea behind is that Feitian released the iReader, a ccid card reader
for mobile devices. The iReader is CCID and is supported under OpenSC
(on computer). GOOZE will be releasing the iReader shortly.

Seek4Android contains an old version of OpenSC 0.11.13. Actually,
Seek4Android requires flashing the device, which is not acceptable for
end-users of current Android systems.

Did anyone succeeded in compiling today's pcscd and opensc under
Android-4.x? Do you think that today's pcscd and opensc can run inside
Android after compilation with a suitable keychain?

Any information is welcome.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel POURE
--

                      GOOZE - http://www.gooze.eu
                   High quality cryptographic tools

Re: OpenSC 0.13 + pcscd as a daemon for Android

Douglas E. Engert

On 9/26/2012 6:54 AM, Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I would like to raise questions about using OpenSC 0.13 under Android. I
> hope that Ben from Feitian can participate in this discussion.
>
> The idea behind is that Feitian released the iReader, a ccid card reader
> for mobile devices. The iReader is CCID and is supported under OpenSC
> (on computer). GOOZE will be releasing the iReader shortly.
>
> Seek4Android contains an old version of OpenSC 0.11.13. Actually,
> Seek4Android requires flashing the device, which is not acceptable for
> end-users of current Android systems.
>
> Did anyone succeeded in compiling today's pcscd and opensc under
> Android-4.x? Do you think that today's pcscd and opensc can run inside
> Android after compilation with a suitable keychain?
>
> Any information is welcome.

Apriva has an SDK that says it ported PCSC lite to Android,
and implies that it has the client running under Java NDK.

They are supporting the CAC/PIV cards, looks like they
are not using OpenSC, but some other middle ware. But if they
did the PCSC port, it looks like OpenSC could use it.

Here is their info with a nice diagram.

http://www.apriva.com/sites/default/files/android_sdk.pdf

Argonne is interested in using PIV cards with Android mobile devices,
so are interested in any technologies that could do that, be it
OpenSC or other middle ware to blue tooth or ccid readers.

> Kind regards,
> Jean-Michel POURE

Re: OpenSC 0.13 + pcscd as a daemon for Android

helpcrypto helpcrypto
Dear Jean-Michel.

I didnt know about iReader. Thanks a lot.
A few weeks ago i was looking for something like that, and
http://www.apriva.com/products/iss/authentication/reader was the only
one i found suitable.

Im very-VERY(did i say VERY?) interested in having an smartcard
working out of the box (seek4android does not fit) on mobile devices,
and your interest look promising.

Please, keep me update whit anything new.

2012/9/26 Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE <[hidden email]>:
> Dear all,

Hello Jean-Michel,

> I would like to raise questions about using OpenSC 0.13 under Android. I
> hope that Ben from Feitian can participate in this discussion.
>
> The idea behind is that Feitian released the iReader, a ccid card reader
> for mobile devices. The iReader is CCID and is supported under OpenSC
> (on computer). GOOZE will be releasing the iReader shortly.

I found the iReader on Feitian site [1]. It looks like an interesting product.

To know how easy (or hard) it will be to port pcsc-lite I would need
more information. The web page is not very informative. For example
the iR301 "Support Win2000+/Linux/Mac OS X/Solaris/Android/iOS
platform". Is it a reader for iPhone? How does it support Win2000 on
iOS?

I guess Feitian has documentation on how to use the reader. Bur could
not find it.
The web site says "Provide secondary development library". What is the
primary development library?

I also guess Feitian is providing a driver or an API to use the
reader. Do you have some documentation about that?

The same device can be used with iOS and Android? How do you connect
it on an Android device?

Is it a real product? Or just vaporware?

Bye

[1] http://www.ftsafe.com/product/Smart_Reader/iReader301