OpenSC-Java

Frederic Van De Velde
Hi,

I'm trying to write a Java application to interface smartcard.

I see there is a OpenSC java project but it seems quite dead.
Do you know of another java api to easily manage PKCS15 or do I have to use javax.smartcardio and manage it by sending the right APDU ?

Regards,
Frederic.

Re: OpenSC-Java

Andreas Schwier (ML)
Hi Frederic,

depends on what kind of functionality you want to use.

If you need access on an APDU level, then javax.smartcardio is what you
want.

If you need an abstraction of the APDU level and access the card via
file system operations, then I would suggest the OpenCard Framework [1].

If you want to use asymmetric crypto operations of the card, then you
can either write a JCE Provider matching your card or use a PKCS#11
middleware underneath the Java layer. For the later you can use either
the SUN PKCS#11 provider or opensc-java.

We still maintain the opensc-java project and use that module in the
Smart Card Shell [2].

Andreas

[1] http://www.openscdp.org/ocf/index.html
[2] http://www.openscdp.org/scsh3/index.html