OpenSC Server Maintenance

Andreas Jellinghaus-4
Hi everyone,

the software running opensc-project.org is getting very, very old.
I didn't upgrade it when Martin had plans to rebuild the server on real hardware somewhere,
but that didn't happen for years now, and the installation is getting older and older.

Is anyone interested in working on this - building a new server somewhere?
Or what is your suggestion to migrate the project to some hosting plattform?
code.google.com, sourceforge, savannah, ...?

It not urgent, but I wouldn't be supprised if things break, as the server gets little attention.
Thus the better someone steps up to maintain it, the better.

Re: OpenSC Server Maintenance

Alon Bar-Lev
Hello Andreas,

GitHub is a great place... Already there, just need to migrate the wiki.
The question is where Gerrit will be (if is used).
And if there is a need to migrate the bugs as well... which may be difficult.

Alon.

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:31 PM, Andreas Jellinghaus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> the software running opensc-project.org is getting very, very old.
> I didn't upgrade it when Martin had plans to rebuild the server on real
> hardware somewhere,
> but that didn't happen for years now, and the installation is getting older
> and older.
>
> Is anyone interested in working on this - building a new server somewhere?
> Or what is your suggestion to migrate the project to some hosting plattform?
> code.google.com, sourceforge, savannah, ...?
>
> It not urgent, but I wouldn't be supprised if things break, as the server
> gets little attention.
> Thus the better someone steps up to maintain it, the better.
>
> Regards, Andreas

Re: OpenSC Server Maintenance

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
Dear Andreas and all,

Nice to hear from you.

> the software running opensc-project.org is getting very, very old.
> I didn't upgrade it when Martin had plans to rebuild the server on
> real hardware somewhere,
> but that didn't happen for years now, and the installation is getting
> older and older.

We are running servers on real hardware hosted at OVH.com in France.
This is the largest and probably cheapest hosting company in Europe.

I can probably host OpenSC if needs be.

> Is anyone interested in working on this - building a new server
> somewhere?
> Or what is your suggestion to migrate the project to some hosting
> plattform?
> code.google.com, sourceforge, savannah, ...?

github looks great.
Only the wiki needs hosting on dedicated host.

> It not urgent, but I wouldn't be supprised if things break, as the
> server gets little attention.
> Thus the better someone steps up to maintain it, the better.

I would be glad to apply to become part of a webmaster team.

I am currently working on the packaging farm project with Viktor. On the
other hand I am also creating a full computer room with regression test
servers and development servers.  Some working on real hardware, some on
VMs and others in chroots. All machines runs in vlans with limited
connection to Internet. We have VPN connections and a double backup in a
NAS and in a cloud. Several developers joined and gave hardware. I am
quite confident we can collect all working OpenSC hardware and make it
available over Internet. This is quite a tedious job and it takes me 2/3
days every week. Half of my time!

I think Viktor and I would be glad to manage Jenkins, Gerrit and the
various farms (packaging, test, development).

When this is finished, I can be part of the websmaster team. But I don't
like working alone and I would like to share the project with other
hackers at OpenSC, in a collaboration spirit.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel
GOOZE

Re: OpenSC Server Maintenance

Viktor Tarasov-3

Le 11/06/2012 21:39, Alon Bar-Lev a écrit :
> Hello Andreas,
>
> GitHub is a great place... Already there, just need to migrate the wiki.
> The question is where Gerrit will be (if is used).
> And if there is a need to migrate the bugs as well... which may be difficult.

Currently the most advanced OpenSC source code is in github.
(By the way, who is the owner of github OpenSC project ?)

OpenSC/OpenSC github project is connected to the alternative CI server (https://opensc.fr/jenkins/ <https://opensc.fr/jenkins/computer/>)
This CI service is connected to the Jean-Michel's build/test farm.
Also there are installed and tested CodeReview service (https://opensc.fr/gerrit/ <https://opensc.fr/jenkins/computer/>).

What else do we need?
Wiki, mailing list, file-server, ...

> Alon.
>
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:31 PM, Andreas Jellinghaus
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> the software running opensc-project.org is getting very, very old.
>> I didn't upgrade it when Martin had plans to rebuild the server on real
>> hardware somewhere,
>> but that didn't happen for years now, and the installation is getting older
>> and older.
>>
>> Is anyone interested in working on this - building a new server somewhere?
>> Or what is your suggestion to migrate the project to some hosting plattform?
>> code.google.com, sourceforge, savannah, ...?
>>
>> It not urgent, but I wouldn't be supprised if things break, as the server
>> gets little attention.
>> Thus the better someone steps up to maintain it, the better.
>>
>> Regards, Andreas

Re: OpenSC Server Maintenance

Ludovic Rousseau
2012/6/12 Viktor Tarasov <[hidden email]>:

> Le 11/06/2012 21:39, Alon Bar-Lev a écrit :
>> Hello Andreas,
>>
>> GitHub is a great place... Already there, just need to migrate the wiki.
>> The question is where Gerrit will be (if is used).
>> And if there is a need to migrate the bugs as well... which may be difficult.
>
> Currently the most advanced OpenSC source code is in github.
> (By the way, who is the owner of github OpenSC project ?)

Martin Paljak created the OpenSC organization at github.
https://github.com/OpenSC

And then Martin created the OpenSC repository for this organization.
https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC

I don't know what "owner" means in this case. The OpenSC organization
has 3 members: Martin, you and me.

> OpenSC/OpenSC github project is connected to the alternative CI server (https://opensc.fr/jenkins/ <https://opensc.fr/jenkins/computer/>)
> This CI service is connected to the Jean-Michel's build/test farm.
> Also there are installed and tested CodeReview service (https://opensc.fr/gerrit/ <https://opensc.fr/jenkins/computer/>).
>
> What else do we need?
> Wiki, mailing list, file-server, ...

Bug tracker

Re: OpenSC Server Maintenance

Alon Bar-Lev
On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Ludovic Rousseau
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> > What else do we need?
> > Wiki, mailing list, file-server, ...
>
> Bug tracker

github already has bug tracker and wiki... :)

Le 12/06/2012 16:49, Ludovic Rousseau a écrit :

>> Currently the most advanced OpenSC source code is in github.
>> (By the way, who is the owner of github OpenSC project ?)
> Martin Paljak created the OpenSC organization at github.
> https://github.com/OpenSC
>
> And then Martin created the OpenSC repository for this organization.
> https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC
>
> I don't know what "owner" means in this case. The OpenSC organization
> has 3 members: Martin, you and me.

As a member I cannot add 'hooks' to trigger jenkins's build by commit to github project.
Only 'owner' can do it.

I do not yet looked how to trigger jenkins build on github pull-requests,
but I guess it will also need the 'owner's participation.

Kind regards,
Viktor.

Re: OpenSC Server Maintenance

Tomas Gustavsson-3
On 06/12/2012 05:19 PM, Viktor Tarasov wrote:

> Le 12/06/2012 16:49, Ludovic Rousseau a écrit :
>>> Currently the most advanced OpenSC source code is in github.
>>> (By the way, who is the owner of github OpenSC project ?)
>> Martin Paljak created the OpenSC organization at github.
>> https://github.com/OpenSC
>>
>> And then Martin created the OpenSC repository for this organization.
>> https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC
>>
>> I don't know what "owner" means in this case. The OpenSC organization
>> has 3 members: Martin, you and me.
>

> As a member I cannot add 'hooks' to trigger jenkins's build by commit to github project.
> Only 'owner' can do it.
>
> I do not yet looked how to trigger jenkins build on github pull-requests,
> but I guess it will also need the 'owner's participation.

When using svn Jenkins can be scheduled to check for changes in
intervals, and build if it detects changes. I would guess the same could
be done with git?

Building on every commit may not always be useful. If you have many
different build target you may want one that builds every commit (poll
every 5 minutes), while other build only nightly.
With lots of target you quickly overload Jenkins if every target starts
building and testing for every commit.

Cheers,
Tomas

Le mardi 12 juin 2012 à 16:49 +0200, Ludovic Rousseau a écrit :
> I don't know what "owner" means in this case. The OpenSC organization
> has 3 members: Martin, you and me.

As written several times, the owners of OpenSC are all individual
contributors. This was confirmed by writing by Martin. The community at
large owns OpenSC.

So there should be more freedom for core developers to organize around
OpenSC and github. Currently, we have to beg for addition of more
developers to the GIThub project. I support Viktor in this way.

With the build farm, I plan to go the converse way and everyone will
have access, at least read access to scripts, tools and servers.

2012/6/11 Alon Bar-Lev <[hidden email]>
Hello Andreas,

GitHub is a great place... Already there, just need to migrate the wiki.
The question is where Gerrit will be (if is used).
And if there is a need to migrate the bugs as well... which may be difficult.

ok, thanks.

In summary we have:
* several repository (not sure if all got migrated to git)
* several wiki (not sure if you can migrate from trac to something else without major work)
* bug tracker (not much used I think, wouldn't be missed very much I guess?)
* mailing lists
* download section with all the binary / zip / tar.gz files etc.
* build&review system (jenkis/gerrit/...?)

not sure if github covers all of that. sourceforge might - not sure, other service: no idea.

Regards, Andreas

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> the software running opensc-project.org is getting very, very old.
> I didn't upgrade it when Martin had plans to rebuild the server on real
> hardware somewhere,
> but that didn't happen for years now, and the installation is getting older
> and older.
>
> Is anyone interested in working on this - building a new server somewhere?
> Or what is your suggestion to migrate the project to some hosting plattform?
> code.google.com, sourceforge, savannah, ...?
>
> It not urgent, but I wouldn't be supprised if things break, as the server
> gets little attention.
> Thus the better someone steps up to maintain it, the better.
>
> Regards, Andreas

Re: OpenSC Server Maintenance

2012/6/11 Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE <[hidden email]>
Dear Andreas and all,

Nice to hear from you.

> the software running opensc-project.org is getting very, very old.
> I didn't upgrade it when Martin had plans to rebuild the server on
> real hardware somewhere,
> but that didn't happen for years now, and the installation is getting
> older and older.

We are running servers on real hardware hosted at OVH.com in France.
This is the largest and probably cheapest hosting company in Europe.

good. the server runs on a shared server I have with friends at hetzner.de,
one of the best hoster in germany. the server resource is not the big deal -
I have no time to maintain/improve the system and think that is a bad situation.

I can probably host OpenSC if needs be.

> Is anyone interested in working on this - building a new server
> somewhere?
> Or what is your suggestion to migrate the project to some hosting
> plattform?
> code.google.com, sourceforge, savannah, ...?

github looks great.
Only the wiki needs hosting on dedicated host.

see my other list of all the components we have.
not sure if we need all of them, though. or if migration from trac to X is possible without loosing all content.

> It not urgent, but I wouldn't be supprised if things break, as the
> server gets little attention.
> Thus the better someone steps up to maintain it, the better.

I would be glad to apply to become part of a webmaster team.

great. though there is little of a team - haven't done much in the last years to keep the server alive, and
not sure how much time martin has for the server maintainance. so we are mostly lookig for someone
to take over the job I guess - that doesn't mean we drop dead, we are still reachable to help, but I can't
do much more than help our here or there.

[...]

good idea.

the main task right now is this: the old installation is ubuntu hardy, i.e. the stable release from 4 years ago.
in a year even the security updates will end. thus lets find a new installation and migrate everything - or
move to some service / hosting / ... (either is fine with me).

Jean-Michel
GOOZE

Re: OpenSC Server Maintenance

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
> the main task right now is this: the old installation is ubuntu hardy,
> i.e. the stable release from 4 years ago. in a year even the security
> updates will end. thus lets find a new installation and migrate
> everything - or move to some service / hosting / ... (either is fine
> with me).

Dear all,

I am mostly concentrating on the build farm and on the regression test
farm. When this is over in a few days/weeks, I can help with
administration of servers and be part of the team.

I will make a seperate post about Debian/Ubuntu packages, as we now have
some ...