OpenSC has a public relations problem

Douglas E. Engert
We keep saying in responses to e-mails statements like:
  "The project do not use opensc-project.org any more.
   Read https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/wiki/OpenSC-Services"

But if an ordinary users Googles for OpenSC subjects
a reference to github may not even show up in the first 100

This continues to lead users to the old pages and the project
appears to be dead!

For example Google for:
  Getting started with OpenSC
shows https://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/GetStarted
Last updated 2 years ago.

But Google with it in quotes: "Getting started with OpenSC"
and github is first.
https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/wiki/Getting-started-with-OpenSC
Updated 8 months ago.
(Don't ask me why Google does this, it just does.)

One way to help users find the up to date pages would be to add
to every page on the old
  https://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki

some box saying the project has moved to github,
and the Wiki can be found at:
https://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki

Or to search the new Wiki, preceed your search with site:github.com
to find this official wiki.

Any other suggestions?

Re: OpenSC has a public relations problem

Ludovic Rousseau
2013/8/28 Douglas E. Engert <[hidden email]>:

> We keep saying in responses to e-mails statements like:
>   "The project do not use opensc-project.org any more.
>    Read https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/wiki/OpenSC-Services"
>
> But if an ordinary users Googles for OpenSC subjects
> a reference to github may not even show up in the first 100
>
> This continues to lead users to the old pages and the project
> appears to be dead!
>
> For example Google for:
>   Getting started with OpenSC
> shows https://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/GetStarted
> Last updated 2 years ago.
>
> But Google with it in quotes: "Getting started with OpenSC"
> and github is first.
> https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/wiki/Getting-started-with-OpenSC
> Updated 8 months ago.
> (Don't ask me why Google does this, it just does.)
>
> One way to help users find the up to date pages would be to add
> to every page on the old
>   https://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki
>
> some box saying the project has moved to github,
> and the Wiki can be found at:
> https://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki
>
> Or to search the new Wiki, preceed your search with site:github.com
> to find this official wiki.
>
> Any other suggestions?

Modify the opensc-project.org web configuartion to include a page
documenting the migration.

The problem is that opensc-project.org domain name is now maintained
by Martin Paljak. But Martin to not want to migrate the project AFAIK.

Martin, what do you think?

Re: OpenSC has a public relations problem

2013/8/28 Douglas E. Engert <[hidden email]>:

> We keep saying in responses to e-mails statements like:
>   "The project do not use opensc-project.org any more.
>    Read https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/wiki/OpenSC-Services"
>
> But if an ordinary users Googles for OpenSC subjects
> a reference to github may not even show up in the first 100
>
> This continues to lead users to the old pages and the project
> appears to be dead!
>
> For example Google for:
>   Getting started with OpenSC
> shows https://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/GetStarted
> Last updated 2 years ago.
>
> But Google with it in quotes: "Getting started with OpenSC"
> and github is first.
> https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/wiki/Getting-started-with-OpenSC
> Updated 8 months ago.
> (Don't ask me why Google does this, it just does.)
>
> One way to help users find the up to date pages would be to add
> to every page on the old
>   https://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki
>
> some box saying the project has moved to github,
> and the Wiki can be found at:
> https://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki

I updated the wiki page above.
I do not want to edit _every_ wiki pages at
https://www.opensc-project.org/ That is too much work.

Thanks for the reminder.

Re: OpenSC has a public relations problem

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
Le mercredi 28 août 2013 à 10:45 -0500, Douglas E. Engert a écrit :
> Any other suggestions?

You need to register a Google Analytics project and publish an XML
sitemap with all pages included in the web project. This will result in
#1 rank on Google.

Or if Google does not like you, you will be on page #100 in any other
situations.

Behind Google, there are ranking humans and/or Internet policies. I
discussed with one of those guys once. He was spending hours ranking
websites and you have a very limited time, using a special software.
This is like "Modern times" in Charlie chaplin, you rank very fast. From
memory, this guy would not spend more than one minute on each website.
Google is very interested in communities, as this brings audience. So
with OpenSC community, becoming #1 on Google should be easy.

Also, Google does not like projects with several domains. You get a
downscore. So you should ask for the old domain. But is is a minor issue
IMHO.

On 8/29/2013 3:08 AM, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:

> 2013/8/28 Douglas E. Engert <[hidden email]>:
>> We keep saying in responses to e-mails statements like:
>>    "The project do not use opensc-project.org any more.
>>     Read https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/wiki/OpenSC-Services"
>>
>> But if an ordinary users Googles for OpenSC subjects
>> a reference to github may not even show up in the first 100
>>
>> This continues to lead users to the old pages and the project
>> appears to be dead!
>>
>> For example Google for:
>>    Getting started with OpenSC
>> shows https://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/GetStarted
>> Last updated 2 years ago.
>>
>> But Google with it in quotes: "Getting started with OpenSC"
>> and github is first.
>> https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/wiki/Getting-started-with-OpenSC
>> Updated 8 months ago.
>> (Don't ask me why Google does this, it just does.)
>>
>> One way to help users find the up to date pages would be to add
>> to every page on the old
>>    https://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki
>>
>> some box saying the project has moved to github,
>> and the Wiki can be found at:
>> https://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki
>
> I updated the wiki page above.
> I do not want to edit _every_ wiki pages at
> https://www.opensc-project.org/ That is too much work.

Does the wiki have a way to put a header on every page?
That could say project moved to https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/wiki/

Not only do search engines put us low, older e-mail archives
with have URLs pointing to www.opensc-project.org

Any way to have the web server redirect users to the new
Wiki?