OpenSC with VMWare View

Mike Wisniewski
Hi!

I'm trying to get my PIV card to work with the "vmware-view" client on Ubuntu Linux.  I've installed the opensc debian package 0.12.2-2ubuntu1 so far.  They say to place the PKCS#11 modules in the /usr/lib/vmware/view/pkcs11 directory.  I've created a symlink in that directory to /usr/lib/opensc-pkcs11.so.  When starting the program, I get the following error...

Could not open module /usr/lib/vmware/view/pkcs11/libopensc-pkcs11.so.so: /usr/lib/vmware/view/pkcs11/libopensc-pkcs11.so.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I was wondering if you knew which package I would have to install to obtain "libopensc-pkcs11.so.so".  I've looked around for it and haven't had much success finding it.  I've also tried installing from the opensc git nightly with no luck and also upgraded pcsc, but still nothing.

Thanks!

Re: OpenSC with VMWare View

Peter Stuge-4
Michael Wisniewski wrote:
> Could not open module /usr/lib/vmware/view/pkcs11/libopensc-pkcs11.so.so:
> /usr/lib/vmware/view/pkcs11/libopensc-pkcs11.so.so: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory
>
> I was wondering if you knew which package I would have to install to obtain
> "libopensc-pkcs11.so.so".

That filename is a programming error in the application that tries to
open it. I guess that's closed source, so all you can do is make a
symlink pointing at opensc-pkcs11.so.

//Peter

Re: OpenSC with VMWare View

Mike Wisniewski
Thanks for the quick response.  I've been banging my head against this for quite some time now.

It also has the same error with the vmware-view-open-client.  On both vmware-view closed source and open source, coolkey will pop up just fine, but it won't recognize the right cert on the card.  OpenSC recognizes the cert on the card, but just doesn't work with vmware-view.

On 11/20/2012 2:35 PM, Michael Wisniewski wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to get my PIV card to work with the "vmware-view" client on Ubuntu Linux.  I've installed the opensc debian package 0.12.2-2ubuntu1 so far.  They say to place the PKCS#11 modules in the
> /usr/lib/vmware/view/pkcs11 directory.  I've created a symlink in that directory to /usr/lib/opensc-pkcs11.so.  When starting the program, I get the following error...

Do you tell it the name of the library?

Looks like the package is adding "lib" and ".so" around the name that you gave,
If it is doing thin internally,try a symlink from libopensc-pkcs11.so.so -> libopensc-pkcs11.so.so
or just copy it to the name expected.

> Could not open module /usr/lib/vmware/view/pkcs11/libopensc-pkcs11.so.so <http://libopensc-pkcs11.so.so/>: /usr/lib/vmware/view/pkcs11/libopensc-pkcs11.so.so <http://libopensc-pkcs11.so.so/>: cannot
>
> I was wondering if you knew which package I would have to install to obtain "libopensc-pkcs11.so.so <http://libopensc-pkcs11.so.so/>".  I've looked around for it and haven't had much success finding
> it.  I've also tried installing from the opensc git nightly with no luck and also upgraded pcsc, but still nothing.
>
> Thanks!

Re: OpenSC with VMWare View

Peter Stuge-4
Michael Wisniewski wrote:
> OpenSC recognizes the cert on the card, but just doesn't work with
> vmware-view.

After you create the symlink in order to work around that error?

//Peter

Re: OpenSC with VMWare View

On 11/20/2012 3:09 PM, Douglas E. Engert wrote:

> On 11/20/2012 2:35 PM, Michael Wisniewski wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm trying to get my PIV card to work with the "vmware-view" client on Ubuntu Linux.  I've installed the opensc debian package 0.12.2-2ubuntu1 so far.  They say to place the PKCS#11 modules in the
>> /usr/lib/vmware/view/pkcs11 directory.  I've created a symlink in that directory to /usr/lib/opensc-pkcs11.so.  When starting the program, I get the following error...
>>

> Do you tell it the name of the library?
>
> Looks like the package is adding "lib" and ".so" around the name that you gave,
> If it is doing thin internally,try a symlink from libopensc-pkcs11.so.so -> libopensc-pkcs11.so.so

Ooops, that should have been a symlink from libopensc-pkcs11.so.so -> opensc-pkcs11.so

> or just copy it to the name expected.
>

>> Could not open module /usr/lib/vmware/view/pkcs11/libopensc-pkcs11.so.so <http://libopensc-pkcs11.so.so/>: /usr/lib/vmware/view/pkcs11/libopensc-pkcs11.so.so <http://libopensc-pkcs11.so.so/>: cannot
>> open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>
>> I was wondering if you knew which package I would have to install to obtain "libopensc-pkcs11.so.so <http://libopensc-pkcs11.so.so/>".  I've looked around for it and haven't had much success finding
>> it.  I've also tried installing from the opensc git nightly with no luck and also upgraded pcsc, but still nothing.
>>
>> Thanks!

Re: OpenSC with VMWare View

Mike Wisniewski
A little update about what's going on with this.  Not sure if anybody else is using vmware-view-client, but here is some information...

It turns out that the vmware-view-client is for i386, not amd64.  On a x86_64 version of Ubuntu, opensc is built for x86_64, not i386.  For whatever reason, vmware-view-client wouldn't work with OpenSC because of this architecture difference.  To get around this, I built OpenSC on a virtual machine (i386), ran checkinstall (added opensc dependencies) so it built a .deb, and installed that package on the 64-bit Ubuntu OS.  By adding the dependencies in checkinstall on i386, it also installed the 386 version of these.

The other strange thing is that OpenSC 0.12.2 would not work with vmware-view-client, whereas 0.12.1 and 0.12.0 worked just fine.  Doug mentioned something about 0.12.2 caching the PIN and the nightly has something in there you can comment to fix it.  I didn't try the nightly yet, and probably won't, just because for the time, 0.12.1 works fine for me and my card.

I'm glad I was finally able to get it working, although it's probably not the best way to do it.  Hopefully this will help somebody out if they are trying to get this to work.

Mike