OpenSCLGPL license and Apple App Store

Anton Kemal

Hi,

I am thinking about using OpenSC for an iOS app that will work with a smart card reader for iPhone (Tactivo by Precise Biometrics)
The Tactivo SDK export the PCSC winscard interface so my guess is that porting to an OpenSC is doable without too much effort.

My major concern at this moment is that OpenSC is licensed as LGPL and that Apple/XCode/iOS doesn't allow dynamic linking of libraries.

There is a lot of discussion about LGPL, iOS apps and the Apple app-store on the web:
http://roadfiresoftware.com/2013/08/the-problem-with-using-lgpl-v2-1-code-in-an-ios-app/
http://blog.burhum.com/post/38236943467/your-lgpl-license-is-completely-destroying-ios-adoption
+ much more.

What is the OpenSC view on iOS and OpenSC from a license point of view ?

Is it considered license compliant by OpenSC if I publish an app on the Apple app store and...

- provide the OpenSC iOS port as source on a web site
- provide the smat card reader runtime library .a file
- provide additional .a files (if any and if license compliant)
- provide my app specific code as object files (.o)
- provide additional relevant linkage information

...similar to the Sparrow mail app at http://sprw.me/lgpl.php ?

Thanks!

Anton

Re: OpenSCLGPL license and Apple App Store

Frank Morgner
Hi!

On Friday, January 31 at 02:39PM, Anton Kemal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am thinking about using OpenSC for an iOS app that will work with a smart
> card reader for iPhone (Tactivo by Precise Biometrics)
> The Tactivo SDK export the PCSC winscard interface so my guess is that
> porting to an OpenSC is doable without too much effort.
>
> My major concern at this moment is that OpenSC is licensed as LGPL and that
> Apple/XCode/iOS doesn't allow dynamic linking of libraries.
>
> There is a lot of discussion about LGPL, iOS apps and the Apple app-store
> on the web:
> http://roadfiresoftware.com/2013/08/the-problem-with-using-lgpl-v2-1-code-in-an-ios-app/
> http://blog.burhum.com/post/38236943467/your-lgpl-license-is-completely-destroying-ios-adoption
> + much more.
>
> What is the OpenSC view on iOS and OpenSC from a license point of view ?
See https://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/ticket/444 for the previous
discussion on that...

> Is it considered license compliant by OpenSC if I publish an app on the
> Apple app store and...
>
> - provide the OpenSC iOS port as source on a web site
> - provide the smat card reader runtime library .a file
> - provide additional .a files (if any and if license compliant)
> - provide my app specific code as object files (.o)
> - provide additional relevant linkage information
>
> ...similar to the Sparrow mail app at http://sprw.me/lgpl.php ?
My answer would be: Whatever LGPL allows! But since I am not a lawyer, I
can't give a definitive answer about what that actually means... My
guess would be that you can link against OpenSC if your software
(including dependencies) is BSD, MIT, GPL or LGPL licensed.

--
Frank Morgner

Virtual Smart Card Architecture http://vsmartcard.sourceforge.net
OpenPACE                        http://openpace.sourceforge.net