Opensc 0.12 always goes for axalto card

MMarc
Hi,
I installed the latest opensc windows release.
I realised, that this version always tries to talk to an axalto card. It
does not matter what sort of card i plug in.
I installed on two windows desktops to test, both times the same result:

Previous version:

C:\opensc\bin>pkcs15-tool -D
Using reader with a card: FT SCR2000A 0
PKCS#15 Card [OpenSC Card]:
        Version        : 1
        Serial number  : 0847140413121109
        Manufacturer ID: EnterSafe
        Last update    : 20110205212504Z
        Flags          : EID compliant

PIN [User PIN]
        Com. Flags: 0x3
        ID        : ff
        Flags     : [0x30], initialized, needs-padding
        Length    : min_len:4, max_len:16, stored_len:16
        Pad char  : 0x00
        Reference : 1
        Type      : ascii-numeric
        Path      : 3f005015

C:\opensc\bin>cd ..

C:\opensc>cd ..

New version:

C:\>cd OpenSC-12

C:\OpenSC-12>pkcs15-tool -D
Using reader with a card: Axalto e-gate 0
Failed to connect to card: Card not present

C:\OpenSC-12>

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thank you
Marc

Re: Opensc 0.12 always goes for axalto card

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 18:24,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I realised, that this version always tries to talk to an axalto card. It
> does not matter what sort of card i plug in.
> I installed on two windows desktops to test, both times the same result:

OpenSC defaults to the first reader with a card present. With multiple
card readers you should specify the actual reader (or card ATR) to
talk to, as the default can be a wrong card.

It seems that for some reason the e-gate driver always reports a card.
What is the output of "opensc-tool.exe --lv" without an inserted card?

Re: Opensc 0.12 always goes for axalto card

MMarc
Now it is getting more more interessting.

It looks like now, whatever card I plug in, it remains there:

C:\OpenSC-12>opensc-tool.exe -lv
# Detected readers (pcsc)
Nr.  Card  Features  Name
0    Yes             Axalto e-gate 0
1    Yes             FT SCR2000A 0

The first card was a cryproflex e-gate token, I removed but it is still
there. I can reboot my computer, I will still apear.
The second card is an epass300 token. It was plugged in a few days after
cryptoflex, and now it allways appears, despite none of the cards (tokens)
are inserted.

Now  I plug in my r301 reader:

C:\OpenSC-12>opensc-tool.exe -lv
# Detected readers (pcsc)
Nr.  Card  Features  Name
0    Yes             Axalto e-gate 0
1    Yes             FT SCR2000A 0
2    No              FT SCR301 CCID Smart Card 301 0

And here I remove it:

C:\OpenSC-12>opensc-tool.exe -lv
# Detected readers (pcsc)
Nr.  Card  Features  Name
0    Yes             Axalto e-gate 0
1    Yes             FT SCR2000A 0

Now I try an omnikey reader:

C:\OpenSC-12>opensc-tool.exe -lv
# Detected readers (pcsc)
Nr.  Card  Features  Name
0    Yes             Axalto e-gate 0
1    Yes             FT SCR2000A 0
2    No              OMNIKEY AG Smart Card Reader USB 0

C:\OpenSC-12>opensc-tool.exe -lv
# Detected readers (pcsc)
Nr.  Card  Features  Name
0    Yes             Axalto e-gate 0
1    Yes             FT SCR2000A 0

It looks like, that only tokens are affected, readers not. Tokens will never
disapear, readers do.

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 18:24,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I realised, that this version always tries to talk to an axalto card.
> It does not matter what sort of card i plug in.
> I installed on two windows desktops to test, both times the same result:

OpenSC defaults to the first reader with a card present. With multiple card
readers you should specify the actual reader (or card ATR) to talk to, as
the default can be a wrong card.

It seems that for some reason the e-gate driver always reports a card.
What is the output of "opensc-tool.exe --lv" without an inserted card?

Re: Opensc 0.12 always goes for axalto card

Ludovic Rousseau
2011/2/14 Marc <[hidden email]>:
> It looks like, that only tokens are affected, readers not. Tokens will never
> disapear, readers do.

I think it is a "feature" of the tokens drivers.
The driver always reports a (fake) reader present. The driver will
then report card events when the token is plugged in or removed.

I would not be surprised if this behavior is to circumvent a
"limitation" on PC/SC on Windows.

Re: Opensc 0.12 always goes for axalto card

Andreas Jellinghaus-2
Am Montag 14 Februar 2011, um 10:15:18 schrieb Ludovic Rousseau:
> I think it is a "feature" of the tokens drivers.
> The driver always reports a (fake) reader present. The driver will
> then report card events when the token is plugged in or removed.
>
> I would not be surprised if this behavior is to circumvent a
> "limitation" on PC/SC on Windows.

Omnikey does the same for some tokens - a configureable number of
readers is always there but empty, until a real token is inserted,
which shows up as a card in some reader.

so the same solution openct had shows up as virtual ifd handler for
pcsc on windows.

On Feb 14, 2011, at 6:48 PM, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> Am Montag 14 Februar 2011, um 10:15:18 schrieb Ludovic Rousseau:
>> I think it is a "feature" of the tokens drivers.
>> The driver always reports a (fake) reader present. The driver will
>> then report card events when the token is plugged in or removed.
>>
>> I would not be surprised if this behavior is to circumvent a
>> "limitation" on PC/SC on Windows.
>
> Omnikey does the same for some tokens - a configureable number of
> readers is always there but empty, until a real token is inserted,
> which shows up as a card in some reader.
>
> so the same solution openct had shows up as virtual ifd handler for
> pcsc on windows.

This is a common symptom of (mostly historic and non-standard) token drivers. Newer tokens that implement CCID/ICCD don't suffer from this (which also shows that this is an implementation deficiency)

I've been hit by this as well: plug in one proprietary token, get 4 defunct readers. Connect a different one, get 4 more ones. Combine with PKCS#11 slot pre-allocation, the "interesting" slot with the only connected CCID reader and card shows up somewhere very-very far.

IIRC my tokens did not show an inserted card though. The short term solution is to just uninstall those drivers to get rid of them, if you don't use the tokens.

--
@MartinPaljak.net
+3725156495