PCSC readers

abraham
Hello,
I have two basic questions and find no one and nowhere to ask them. finally send them to you.

1- If a card reader+ its driver was PCSC compliant in windows, is it PCSC compliant in other OSs too? (for example in Linux, MacOS and ...). Or for each OS we need a new test?

2- If I have a card reader and I don't want to trust its factory and the list that is in the pcsc workgroup site, can I myself check its compatibility with PCSC or not?
I mean, is there any check list to checking?

I'll be really thankful if answer me simply and in detailed and I eagerly wait for your response.

Thank you.

Re: PCSC readers

Douglas E Engert

On 6/22/2014 7:08 AM, abraham wrote:

> Hello,
> I have two basic questions and find no one and nowhere to ask them. finally
> send them to you.
>
> 1- If a card reader+ its driver was PCSC compliant in windows, is it PCSC
> compliant in other OSs too? (for example in Linux, MacOS and ...). Or for
> each OS we need a new test?
>
> 2- If I have a card reader and I don't want to trust its factory and the
> list that is in the pcsc workgroup site, can I myself check its
> compatibility with PCSC or not?
> I mean, is there any check list to checking?

If its a USB based device, look for CCID comparability. If its PCMCIA or serial
then it may or may not be supported.

Since PCSC-lite is most like the source of any PCSC code on other systems,
start with:

https://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/

The author of PCSC-lite is on this mailing list. See his blog too:
http://ludovicrousseau.blogspot.com/

> I'll be really thankful if answer me simply and in detailed and I eagerly
> wait for your response.
>
> Thank you.

Re: PCSC readers

abraham
Thank you.

Suppose that it is USB device and it is CCID compatible. Can I conclude that is is a PCSC compatible too?

Or vise versa! assume that it is a PCSC compliant USB reader, can I conclude that it is CCID compliant too?

Re: PCSC readers

> Suppose that it is USB device and it is CCID compatible. Can I conclude that
> is is a PCSC compatible too?

Maybe.

> Or vise versa! assume that it is a PCSC compliant USB reader, can I conclude
> that it is CCID compliant too?

No.

The question (I already asked you before in a private email) is: what
do you want to do with the "PCSC compatible" label?
What is your need?