PIN unblocking failed

Stefan Mink

Hi,

I somehow managed to block my card but am unable to unblock
it:

nn:~# pkcs15-tool --auth-id 01 --unblock-pin
Enter PUK [Smartcard]:
Enter new PIN [Smartcard]:
Enter new PIN again [Smartcard]:
iso7816.c:98:iso7816_check_sw: Authentication method blocked
sec.c:204:sc_pin_cmd: returning with: Authentication method blocked
PIN unblocking failed: Authentication method blocked

I'm sure the PUK is right and the PIN is identical.

What does "Authentication method blocked" mean in this context?

   tschuess
             Stefan
--
Stefan Mink, Schlund+Partner AG (AS 8560)
Primary key fingerprint: 389E 5DC9 751F A6EB B974  DC3F 7A1B CF62 F0D4 D2BA

Re: PIN unblocking failed

Andreas Jellinghaus-2
On Wednesday 14 September 2005 09:44, Stefan Mink wrote:
> I'm sure the PUK is right and the PIN is identical.
>
> What does "Authentication method blocked" mean in this context?

both pin and puk have a counter for how many tries. usualy 3 for the
pin and 10 for the puk. looks tried too often with the wrong puk,
too. so that card is dead. no way to unblock it again ever.
no way to access the key ever again.

however since it is a cryptoflex, you can format it. try
pkcs15-init -E and then start again from scratch.

Good luck.

Re: PIN unblocking failed

Stefan Mink
Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 September 2005 09:44, Stefan Mink wrote:
>
>>I'm sure the PUK is right and the PIN is identical.
>>
>>What does "Authentication method blocked" mean in this context?
>

> both pin and puk have a counter for how many tries. usualy 3 for the
> pin and 10 for the puk. looks tried too often with the wrong puk,
> too. so that card is dead. no way to unblock it again ever.
> no way to access the key ever again.
>
> however since it is a cryptoflex, you can format it. try
> pkcs15-init -E and then start again from scratch.
>
> Good luck.
strange, I don't remember having unblocked/tried to unblock
the card ever since I initialized it.

Seems I'm getting old :]

   tschuess
             Stefan Mink