Project Website

Andreas Schwier
Hi,

under the URL http://www.opensc-project.org the server just displays a
"It works!" message.

The URL http://www.opensc.org doesn't show anything.

Is that intentional ?

I guess with dropping the website and stopping the mailing list we
probably lost the last members of the community. I guess we need to
improve the OpenSC marketing.

Sigh...

    ---------    CardContact Software & System Consulting
   |.##> <##.|   Andreas Schwier
   |#       #|   Schülerweg 38
   |#       #|   32429 Minden, Germany
   |'##> <##'|   Phone +49 571 56149
    ---------    http://www.cardcontact.de
                 http://www.tscons.de
                 http://www.openscdp.org

Re: Project Website

Ludovic Rousseau
Hello Martin,

The webpage at http://www.opensc-project.org/ just says: "It works!".

According to traceroute the website is hosted somewhere in .ee so I
guess you (Martin) is not far from the server :-)

Martin, what are your plan regarding the domain name?
Can you replace the web home page to redirect to
https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/wiki/OpenSC-Services?

Thanks

2013/2/15 Andreas Schwier <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> under the URL http://www.opensc-project.org the server just displays a
> "It works!" message.
>
> The URL http://www.opensc.org doesn't show anything.
>
> Is that intentional ?
>
> I guess with dropping the website and stopping the mailing list we
> probably lost the last members of the community. I guess we need to
> improve the OpenSC marketing.
>
> Sigh...
>
> Andreas

Re: Project Website

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM, Ludovic Rousseau
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Martin,
>
> The webpage at http://www.opensc-project.org/ just says: "It works!".

Strange, that should not be the case, the last trac snapshot should be
there instead.

> Martin, what are your plan regarding the domain name?
> Can you replace the web home page to redirect to
> https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/wiki/OpenSC-Services?

It makes sense to revise it accordingly with links to up to date
information where necessary, but it should be well-justified to remove
a) existing links and search b) wiki functionality (tags, links etc).

Any OpenID should grant sufficient write access, if not, let me know.

Martin

> 2013/2/15 Andreas Schwier <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> under the URL http://www.opensc-project.org the server just displays a
>> "It works!" message.
>>
>> The URL http://www.opensc.org doesn't show anything.
>>
>> Is that intentional ?
>>
>> I guess with dropping the website and stopping the mailing list we
>> probably lost the last members of the community. I guess we need to
>> improve the OpenSC marketing.
>>
>> Sigh...
>>
>> Andreas
>
> --
>  Dr. Ludovic Rousseau

Re: Project Website

Ludovic Rousseau
2013/2/20 Martin Paljak <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM, Ludovic Rousseau
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Martin,
>>
>> The webpage at http://www.opensc-project.org/ just says: "It works!".
>
> Strange, that should not be the case, the last trac snapshot should be
> there instead.
Now the web server reports the directory index with only one entry: a
"downloads" directory.
The downloads directory contains only the file build-10.6.tar.gz.

This is not very helpfull to users looking for OpenSC.
Please use the attached index.html file.

>> Martin, what are your plan regarding the domain name?
>> Can you replace the web home page to redirect to
>> https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/wiki/OpenSC-Services?
>
> It makes sense to revise it accordingly with links to up to date
> information where necessary, but it should be well-justified to remove
> a) existing links and search b) wiki functionality (tags, links etc).
>
> Any OpenID should grant sufficient write access, if not, let me know.

Trac is not working on the server.

index.html (640 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Project Website

Martin Paljak-4
On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Ludovic Rousseau
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Trac is not working on the server.

Apparently non-https site has been misconfigured ever since and
smoketesting with Chrome seems to be misleading, meaning that removing
the S from the https URL still somehow automagically loads up the
secure version of the site (which has been Trac all the time). This is
fixed.

Re: Project Website

Andreas Schwier
I'm confused !

So which website (and in particular which wiki) are we going to maintain
? The one at www.opensc-project.org or the one at Github ?

Andreas

Am 25.02.2013 13:28, schrieb Martin Paljak:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Ludovic Rousseau
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Trac is not working on the server.
> Apparently non-https site has been misconfigured ever since and
> smoketesting with Chrome seems to be misleading, meaning that removing
> the S from the https URL still somehow automagically loads up the
> secure version of the site (which has been Trac all the time). This is
> fixed.
>
> Martin

    ---------    CardContact Software & System Consulting
   |.##> <##.|   Andreas Schwier
   |#       #|   Schülerweg 38
   |#       #|   32429 Minden, Germany
   |'##> <##'|   Phone +49 571 56149
    ---------    http://www.cardcontact.de
                 http://www.tscons.de
                 http://www.openscdp.org

Re: Project Website

Martin Paljak-4
On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Andreas Schwier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm confused !
>
> So which website (and in particular which wiki) are we going to maintain
> ? The one at www.opensc-project.org or the one at Github ?
https://www.opensc-project.org must be updated to reference github
exclusively for all things source.

Point-blank copying of the wiki to github and removal of it degrades
at least parts of the content and can't happen. In the end what
matters is that relevant, correct and up to date information is easily
available. And that knowledge doesn't create and organize itself.

Re: Project Website

Andreas Schwier (ML)
HI Martin,

I think Viktor did a great job migrating the Wiki to Github and yes, we
need to work on the information provided and improve it. For the card
specific part that should be done by the maintainer of the driver code.
For the common parts we should organize the work using the mailing list.

Right now the Wiki is Github is more accurate than the one at OpenSC and
I favour to turn the later of.

We are losing our user base and our credibility with these kind of
activities. We already turned-off the mailing list without further
notice, leaving a good bunch of infrequent follower behind.

Andreas

--

    ---------    CardContact Software & System Consulting
   |.##> <##.|   Andreas Schwier
   |#       #|   Schülerweg 38
   |#       #|   32429 Minden, Germany
   |'##> <##'|   Phone +49 571 56149
    ---------    http://www.cardcontact.de
                 http://www.tscons.de
                 http://www.openscdp.org

Re: Project Website

Viktor Tarasov-3
Hello,

Le 06/03/2013 08:26, Andreas Schwier (ML) a écrit :
> Right now the Wiki is Github is more accurate than the one at OpenSC and
> I favour to turn the later of.
>
> We are losing our user base and our credibility with these kind of
> activities. We already turned-off the mailing list without further
> notice, leaving a good bunch of infrequent follower behind.

Sure, we lost a lot when had migrated wiki from trac to github.
As for me, Trac is more friendly and pleasant to use.

But, afais, we do not have sufficient of continuous humane resources
to maintain the stuff on the dedicated platforms.
And so, imho, it's better to loose somewhat in usability,
but keep the project independent, as much as possible, of the individual availability/efforts/willing.

> Andreas

Kind regards,
Viktor.

> Am 05.03.2013 15:24, schrieb Martin Paljak:
>> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Andreas Schwier
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm confused !
>>>
>>> So which website (and in particular which wiki) are we going to maintain
>>> ? The one at www.opensc-project.org or the one at Github ?
>> https://www.opensc-project.org must be updated to reference github
>> exclusively for all things source.
>>
>> Point-blank copying of the wiki to github and removal of it degrades
>> at least parts of the content and can't happen. In the end what
>> matters is that relevant, correct and up to date information is easily
>> available. And that knowledge doesn't create and organize itself.
>>
>> Martin

Re: Project Website

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM, Andreas Schwier (ML)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>  leaving a good bunch of infrequent follower behind.
Yes, not very nice. But then again, the number of followers only
matters in twitter, cults and political parties (and the last two
share a lot in common, sometimes).

m.

Re: Project Website

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Viktor Tarasov
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> As for me, Trac is more friendly and pleasant to use.
Indeed. It also makes sense to have a single entry point. Eventually
having a logically connected wiki requires gardening.

There's also the problem of jurisdiction. While OpenSC doesn't touch
restricted stuff, being subject to DMCA and similar creatures (or
"hacker tools" in Germany) of US based operations (sf.net, github.com)
is a thing to consider with a healthy amount of paranoia. Git makes it
simple for source code but not that simple for other other things that
are bundled with github.

Re: Project Website

Andreas Schwier (ML)
I basically don't care which wiki we maintain. My point is that I want
to maintain just one.

Are we in agreement to drop the wiki at Github and continue with the one
at opensc-project.org ?

What about issue tracking ? Github or Trac ?

Andreas

Am 15.03.2013 14:04, schrieb Martin Paljak:

> Hello,
>
> On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Viktor Tarasov
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As for me, Trac is more friendly and pleasant to use.
> Indeed. It also makes sense to have a single entry point. Eventually
> having a logically connected wiki requires gardening.
>
> There's also the problem of jurisdiction. While OpenSC doesn't touch
> restricted stuff, being subject to DMCA and similar creatures (or
> "hacker tools" in Germany) of US based operations (sf.net, github.com)
> is a thing to consider with a healthy amount of paranoia. Git makes it
> simple for source code but not that simple for other other things that
> are bundled with github.
>
> Martin

    ---------    CardContact Software & System Consulting
   |.##> <##.|   Andreas Schwier
   |#       #|   Schülerweg 38
   |#       #|   32429 Minden, Germany
   |'##> <##'|   Phone +49 571 56149
    ---------    http://www.cardcontact.de
                 http://www.tscons.de
                 http://www.openscdp.org

--

    ---------    CardContact Software & System Consulting
   |.##> <##.|   Andreas Schwier
   |#       #|   Schülerweg 38
   |#       #|   32429 Minden, Germany
   |'##> <##'|   Phone +49 571 56149
    ---------    http://www.cardcontact.de
                 http://www.tscons.de
                 http://www.openscdp.org

Re: Project Website

Martin Paljak-4
On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Andreas Schwier (ML)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> What about issue tracking ? Github or Trac ?

Eventually it doesn't matter. They (collected things) either get
reviewed and processed (semi-regularly) or they dust and pile up. A
huge pile can be helpful for "plotting and organizing" but at the same
time it becomes a distraction.