Question about openct and its relation to opensc

Question about openct and its relation to opensc

Chris Green
Sorry if these are not really development list questions but I can't
really see anywhere else to ask.

I am trying to implement EAP-SIM authentication as a WiFi client, as
described here:-
    https://ohnomoregadgets.wordpress.com/2013/08/28/free-wifi-with-eap-sim-on-a-desktop-computer/

This requires the openct package to be installed but openct seems to
have disappeared from all current Debian derived distributions.

Is there something newer in the OpenSC project that replaces openct or
should I just bite the bullet and build openct from source?

Thanks for any help.

--
Chris Green

Re: Question about openct and its relation to opensc

Sorry if these are not really development list questions but I can't
really see anywhere else to ask.

Yes, that is the correct mailing list.

I am trying to implement EAP-SIM authentication as a WiFi client, as
described here:-
    https://ohnomoregadgets.wordpress.com/2013/08/28/free-wifi-with-eap-sim-on-a-desktop-computer/

This requires the openct package to be installed but openct seems to
have disappeared from all current Debian derived distributions.

Is there something newer in the OpenSC project that replaces openct or
should I just bite the bullet and build openct from source?

You should not need openct now, unless you use a smart card reader that does not work with the CCID driver.
Just install pcscd, that should also install libccid.

On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 11:22:24PM +0200, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:

>    Hello,
>
>      Sorry if these are not really development list questions but I can't
>      really see anywhere else to ask.
>
>    Yes, that is the correct mailing list.
>
>      I am trying to implement EAP-SIM authentication as a WiFi client, as
>      described here:-
>
>      [2]https://ohnomoregadgets.wordpress.com/2013/08/28/free-wifi-with-e
>      ap-sim-on-a-desktop-computer/
>      This requires the openct package to be installed but openct seems to
>      have disappeared from all current Debian derived distributions.
>      Is there something newer in the OpenSC project that replaces openct
>      or
>      should I just bite the bullet and build openct from source?
>
>    You should not need openct now, unless you use a smart card reader that
>    does not work with the CCID driver.
>    Just install pcscd, that should also install libccid.
>    You can use
>    [3]https://ludovicrousseau.blogspot.fr/2014/03/level-1-smart-card-suppo
>    rt-on-gnulinux.html to check your reader is working correctly.

Ah, OK, so I don't need openct. I'll need to work out how how to get
the information into the wpa_supplicant configuration.  However I will
start again with just pcscd and see if I can reliable reading of my
SIM with that.

Thank you.

On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 09:52:32AM +0100, Chris Green wrote:

> >    You should not need openct now, unless you use a smart card reader that
> >    does not work with the CCID driver.
> >    Just install pcscd, that should also install libccid.
> >    You can use
> >    [3]https://ludovicrousseau.blogspot.fr/2014/03/level-1-smart-card-suppo
> >    rt-on-gnulinux.html to check your reader is working correctly.
>
> Ah, OK, so I don't need openct. I'll need to work out how how to get
> the information into the wpa_supplicant configuration.  However I will
> start again with just pcscd and see if I can reliable reading of my
> SIM with that.

I'm a little lost now (nothing new there!)

How do I work out if a SIM card reader is compatible with pcscd?  The
documentation all talks about 'Smart Card' readers and I'm not at all
clear how a SIM card reader fits in with this.  Are there CCID readers
that can read SIMs?

--
Chris Green