Reader recognized only once on a fresh install

Reader recognized only once on a fresh install

Florent Deybach
Hello,

This is my environment:

Ubuntu 12.10 32bits
OpenSC 0.12.2-2
pcscd 1.8.5
pcsc-tools 1.4.20
libccid 1.4.7-1

I am using a Neowave Weneo SIM reader.

The reader is recognized only one time (the first time I used it) - see the enclosed screenshot.

Then if I disconnect the reader, it fails ALL the time...
Enclosed the complete log when it fails (you can compare it with the screenshot).

The Linux OS is under virtualBox 4.1.18 with USB 2.0 support.

How come it worked once, then fails every time??

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

log.txt (6K) Download Attachment
reader_works.png (123K) Download Attachment

Re: Reader recognized only once on a fresh install

Martin Paljak-4
On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 7:08 PM, Florent Deybach <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is my environment:
> The Linux OS is under virtualBox 4.1.18 with USB 2.0 support.

Whenever anything fails (with USB) under virtualization, *always* try
without it first (on real hardware).
If pcsc/ccid fails, the right place to go would be

http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/ccid.html#support

but still, virtualization is known to cause strange and hard to debug
problems that can have nothing to do with the software stack in use in
the guest. If it causes troubles, maybe you should try with some other
virtualization platform (vmware) or ask for help on virtualbox list.

Re: Reader recognized only once on a fresh install

Florent Deybach
Hello Martin

Whenever anything fails (with USB) under virtualization, *always* try
without it first (on real hardware).

Yes, I did that and it works. However I can't chose my working environment and I have to make it works on a virtual one...

If pcsc/ccid fails, the right place to go would be

http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/ccid.html#support

I did. Ludovic told me the same thing ("try it on a real hardware")
:)

but still, virtualization is known to cause strange and hard to debug
problems that can have nothing to do with the software stack in use in
the guest. If it causes troubles, maybe you should try with some other
virtualization platform (vmware) or ask for help on virtualbox list.

Indeed, with vmware it is working, but as said virtualbox is not an option for me ;(
I'll try the virtualbox forum and list...

Thanks!

Cheers

Re: Reader recognized only once on a fresh install

Florent Deybach
Hi Martin,

Maybe you can choose a different USB reader.

That again is not an option ;)
However you're absolutely right, I tried different USB readers and they work well with virtualBox.

The problem is laborious: Launching pcscd when the reader is connected simply kills the virtual machine!
By killing I mean the hard way : the window just closes and that's it! No kernel panic, no core dump, no log, nothing! I can simply restart the virtual machine...

Anyway, I'll annoy the virtualbox guys :)

Thanks again!

Cheers