Release cycles [was: SmartCard HSM SO-PIN change]

Release cycles [was: SmartCard HSM SO-PIN change]

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos-2
On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Andreas Schwier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> That's because OpenSC has no fixed release cycle. It all depends on
> someone in the OpenSC team to take the initiative to prepare a new
> release. As we at CardContact don't have access to all cards and token
> required for regression testing, we can't do it ourself.

And the more changes accumulate the more testing it requires. As it is
now there is no release for the last 2 years. Would it make sense to
make time-based releases rather than no release at all?

Also how is testing can be performed on a particular card? Is there a
suite that can be used to crowd test cards prior a release?

regards,
Nikos

Re: Release cycles [was: SmartCard HSM SO-PIN change]

Douglas E Engert

On 5/14/2014 9:18 AM, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:

> On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Andreas Schwier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> That's because OpenSC has no fixed release cycle. It all depends on
>> someone in the OpenSC team to take the initiative to prepare a new
>> release. As we at CardContact don't have access to all cards and token
>> required for regression testing, we can't do it ourself.
>
> And the more changes accumulate the more testing it requires. As it is
> now there is no release for the last 2 years. Would it make sense to
> make time-based releases rather than no release at all?

There have been a lot of changes, mainly in the area of EC-DH,
and the handling of non-RSA public keys in PKCS#15 structures
on the cards, and secure messaging. Some of these changes are at the
lowest levels of the software.

Many of these changes have been deveolped by CardContact for the HSM.

Testing is always a problem, as there are many different cards,
some with no developer support, as there is no way to tell what cards are
still activly being used. Testing is done mostly on newer cards where
there is interest in the development and time available.

So I would not time-based releases. But is now about time for a new
release.

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 8:20 PM, Douglas E Engert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There have been a lot of changes, mainly in the area of EC-DH,
> and the handling of non-RSA public keys in PKCS#15 structures
> on the cards, and secure messaging. Some of these changes are at the
> lowest levels of the software.
> Many of these changes have been deveolped by CardContact for the HSM.
> Testing is always a problem, as there are many different cards,
> some with no developer support, as there is no way to tell what cards are
> still activly being used. Testing is done mostly on newer cards where
> there is interest in the development and time available.

If there is a suite available I could use I'd be glad to test some of
the cards I possess prior to a release. If there is no test suite I'd
be glad to rewrite [0] using the opensc tools, in order to allow
testing some basic functionality such as generation, copy, search and
usage of keys and certificates.

[0]. https://www.gitorious.org/gnutls/gnutls/source/6007caf68c3ca198734ecf78df5abb4cb902e63b:tests/suite/testpkcs11

> So I would not time-based releases. But is now about time for a new
> release.

Well you may not favor them, but your approach seem to be time based
releases :)  It is just that the cycle is 2 years. That's pretty long
time for a project that contains drivers (or for any project IMO).

regards,
Nikos