Request for inclusion of a new driver

Vincent Le Toux
Hi,

I'd like to request to include a new card driver in OpenSC.
The card is the one produced by MaskTech gmbh.
http://www.masktech.com/

I've the agreement of the owner about that.

Is it possible ?
If yes, can I include it in the branch I am using to test the minidriver modifications ?
(https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/tree/minidriver-cmck-issues-i426)

Thanks in advance

regards

Vincent Le Toux

My Smart Logon
www.mysmartlogon.com

Re: Request for inclusion of a new driver

Douglas E Engert

On 4/29/2015 7:19 AM, Vincent Le Toux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to request to include a new card driver in OpenSC.
> The card is the one produced by MaskTech gmbh.
> http://www.masktech.com/
>
> I've the agreement of the owner about that.

Any license or NDA issues? Are there specifications published?

> Is it possible ?
> If yes, can I include it in the branch I am using to test the minidriver modifications ?
> (https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/tree/minidriver-cmck-issues-i426)

Please try and keep them independent. The minidriver supports many cards.

You are asking to support a new card. Based on problems with adding previous drivers,
new driver developer who are usually new to OpenSC, start making code changes to core
functions, or duplicating code.  Having the driver be its own branch can catch many of
these modifications that affect other cards.

Also the new driver may or may not be ready with the minidriver changes that sound
like they could be included with 0.15.0

> Thanks in advance
>
> regards

> Vincent Le Toux
>
> My Smart Logon
> www.mysmartlogon.com <http://www.mysmartlogon.com/>

Re: Request for inclusion of a new driver

Dirk-Willem van Gulik
On 29 Apr 2015, at 14:19, Vincent Le Toux <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to request to include a new card driver in OpenSC.
The card is the one produced by MaskTech gmbh.
http://www.masktech.com/

I've the agreement of the owner about that.

Is it possible ?
If yes, can I include it in the branch I am using to test the minidriver modifications ?
(https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/tree/minidriver-cmck-issues-i426)

Nice! And thanks for making it also aware of read-only/locked down cards, The messages make sense now.

Dw.

Re: Request for inclusion of a new driver

Vincent Le Toux
No, there is no impact on other files except the one referencing the all the drivers to add a new reference to this driver.
It is on my opinion a non breaking change (no modification on core functions, no duplication of code, ...)

This change is independant of the minidriver modifications I proposed (but I tested it with this card).

The card is compatible with iso 7816-15 with some small modifications in the commands sent to the card by the driver.
There is no NDA / license issues as I got the official autorization to publish the current driver with the GPL license.

How should I submit the driver ?
A patch file ? Directly the c file + the instructions to register it ?
A pull request ? (will be a mess for me because my minidriver change is still pending)

regards,
Vincent LE TOUX

On 4/29/2015 7:19 AM, Vincent Le Toux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to request to include a new card driver in OpenSC.
> The card is the one produced by MaskTech gmbh.
> http://www.masktech.com/
>
> I've the agreement of the owner about that.

Any license or NDA issues? Are there specifications published?

> Is it possible ?
> If yes, can I include it in the branch I am using to test the minidriver modifications ?
> (https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/tree/minidriver-cmck-issues-i426)

Please try and keep them independent. The minidriver supports many cards.

You are asking to support a new card. Based on problems with adding previous drivers,
new driver developer who are usually new to OpenSC, start making code changes to core
functions, or duplicating code.  Having the driver be its own branch can catch many of
these modifications that affect other cards.

Also the new driver may or may not be ready with the minidriver changes that sound
like they could be included with 0.15.0

> Thanks in advance
>
> regards

> Vincent Le Toux
>
> My Smart Logon
> www.mysmartlogon.com <http://www.mysmartlogon.com/>

  Douglas E. Engert  <[hidden email]>

Vincent Le Toux

My Smart Logon
www.mysmartlogon.com

Re: Request for inclusion of a new driver

Martin Paljak-4
On 29/04/15 16:08, Vincent Le Toux wrote:
> There is no NDA / license issues as I got the official autorization to
> publish the current driver with the GPL license.
OpenSC is LGPL

MArtin

On 4/29/2015 8:08 AM, Vincent Le Toux wrote:

> No, there is no impact on other files except the one referencing the all the drivers to add a new reference to this driver.
> It is on my opinion a non breaking change (no modification on core functions, no duplication of code, ...)
>
> This change is independant of the minidriver modifications I proposed (but I tested it with this card).
>
> The card is compatible with iso 7816-15 with some small modifications in the commands sent to the card by the driver.
> There is no NDA / license issues as I got the official autorization to publish the current driver with the GPL license.
>
> How should I submit the driver ?
> A patch file ? Directly the c file + the instructions to register it ?
> A pull request ? (will be a mess for me because my minidriver change is still pending)

I will let others comment on the above.

> regards,
> Vincent LE TOUX

>     On 4/29/2015 7:19 AM, Vincent Le Toux wrote:
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > I'd like to request to include a new card driver in OpenSC.
>     > The card is the one produced by MaskTech gmbh.
>     >http://www.masktech.com/
>     >
>     > I've the agreement of the owner about that.
>
>     Any license or NDA issues? Are there specifications published?
>
>     >
>     >
>     > Is it possible ?
>     > If yes, can I include it in the branch I am using to test the minidriver modifications ?
>     > (https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/tree/minidriver-cmck-issues-i426)
>
>     Please try and keep them independent. The minidriver supports many cards.
>
>     You are asking to support a new card. Based on problems with adding previous drivers,
>     new driver developer who are usually new to OpenSC, start making code changes to core
>     functions, or duplicating code.  Having the driver be its own branch can catch many of
>     these modifications that affect other cards.
>
>     Also the new driver may or may not be ready with the minidriver changes that sound
>     like they could be included with 0.15.0
>
>     >
>     > Thanks in advance
>     >
>     > regards
>     >
>     > --
>     > --
>     > Vincent Le Toux
>     >
>     > My Smart Logon
>      > www.mysmartlogon.com <http://www.mysmartlogon.com> <http://www.mysmartlogon.com/>
>      >
>      >
>      > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>      > One dashboard for servers and applications across Physical-Virtual-Cloud
>      > Widest out-of-the-box monitoring support with 50+ applications
>      > Performance metrics, stats and reports that give you Actionable Insights
>      > Deep dive visibility with transaction tracing using APM Insight.
>      > http://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/290420510;117567292;y
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > Opensc-devel mailing list
>      > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/opensc-devel
>      >
>
>     --
>
>        Douglas E. Engert  <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>

> Vincent Le Toux
>
> My Smart Logon
> www.mysmartlogon.com <http://www.mysmartlogon.com/>

Re: Request for inclusion of a new driver

Andreas Schwier (ML)
>> How should I submit the driver ?
>> A patch file ? Directly the c file + the instructions to register it ?
>> A pull request ? (will be a mess for me because my minidriver change is still pending)
>
> I will let others comment on the above.

Just create a new branch in your repo at Github, put in the required
files and create a pull request for that branch.

    ---------    CardContact Software & System Consulting
   |.##> <##.|   Andreas Schwier
   |#       #|   Schülerweg 38
   |#       #|   32429 Minden, Germany
   |'##> <##'|   Phone +49 571 56149
    ---------    http://www.cardcontact.de
                 http://www.tscons.de
                 http://www.openscdp.org
                 http://www.smartcard-hsm.com

Re: Request for inclusion of a new driver

Philip Wendland
On 04/29/2015 03:08 PM, Vincent Le Toux wrote:
> How should I submit the driver ?
> A patch file ? Directly the c file + the instructions to register it ?
> A pull request ? (will be a mess for me because my minidriver change is
> still pending)

My way of doing this (I don't know if it was the apporach most desired
by the OpenSC team) was to have a pull request for the card driver, and
different pull requests for fixes that touched general code.

I had a seperate *local* branch where both (all) where combined for
testing. I did also rebase the card driver from time to time onto the
most recent OpenSC/master, to test it with the newest version. (This can
also be done locally only.)

git reset --hard (careful!), rebase/merge and cherry-pick could be
useful tools for your local testing branch. Or you can work on the
testing branch, and if the next commit works, integrate it in the
driver-pull-request-branch.

Philip

Re: Request for inclusion of a new driver

Vincent Le Toux
Hi,

The pull request is #453 (https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/pull/453).

Frank already commented it