SC-HSM under Windows 7 64-bit?

Anthony Foiani
Greetings.

I'm trying to chase down an interop bug with some utilities provided
by a group I'm doing work for.

I've installed the latest nightly build of opensc on a
fully-up-to-date install of Windows 7 64-bit, and all the
opensc-provided command-line tools work fine: I can init the card with
sc-hsm-init, dump items with pkcs15-tool, etc.

However, their utilities are failing (with something helpful like
"GENERAL ERROR"), and the smart card itself is not recognized --
Device Manager shows that it is a smart card, but that there's no
driver for it.  Specifically:

   The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
   There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

I installed the registry patch on the wiki, adding the Wow6432Node
variants.  Still no luck.

It might be that this is completely unrelated to the actual problem
I'm working on, but in case it is, I'd like to know how to get this
card recognized.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Anthony Foiani

Re: SC-HSM under Windows 7 64-bit?

Douglas E. Engert

On 8/27/2013 12:38 AM, Anthony Foiani wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I'm trying to chase down an interop bug with some utilities provided
> by a group I'm doing work for.
>
> I've installed the latest nightly build of opensc on a
> fully-up-to-date install of Windows 7 64-bit, and all the
> opensc-provided command-line tools work fine: I can init the card with
> sc-hsm-init, dump items with pkcs15-tool, etc.

Can you use the Microsoft command like utility:
  certutil -scinfo -v
to read the smartcard, and verify the key.

Or use the IE tools->Internet Options->content->certificate
to see the certificates on the card?

> However, their utilities are failing (with something helpful like
> "GENERAL ERROR"), and the smart card itself is not recognized --
> Device Manager shows that it is a smart card, but that there's no
> driver for it.  Specifically:
>
>     The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
>     There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

Do these utilities use PKCS#11 or the Microsoft CSP interface to the
OpenSC minidriver?

> I installed the registry patch on the wiki, adding the Wow6432Node
> variants.  Still no luck.
>
> It might be that this is completely unrelated to the actual problem
> I'm working on, but in case it is, I'd like to know how to get this
> card recognized.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Best regards,
> Anthony Foiani

Re: SC-HSM under Windows 7 64-bit?

Anthony Foiani
Douglas --

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Douglas E. Engert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/27/2013 12:38 AM, Anthony Foiani wrote:
>> Greetings.
>>
>> I'm trying to chase down an interop bug with some utilities provided
>> by a group I'm doing work for.
>>
>> I've installed the latest nightly build of opensc on a
>> fully-up-to-date install of Windows 7 64-bit, and all the
>> opensc-provided command-line tools work fine: I can init the card with
>> sc-hsm-init, dump items with pkcs15-tool, etc.
>>

> Can you use the Microsoft command like utility:
>   certutil -scinfo -v
> to read the smartcard, and verify the key.

It sees the reader and the ATR matches the values given in the .reg
files I've tried.  It then gives me 3-4 dialog boxes asking me to
insert a smart card, with the details being "A smart card was detected
but is not the one required for the current operation. The smart card
you are using may be missing required driver software or a required
certificate."

Here's the output from certutil:

C:\Windows\System32>certutil -scinfo -v
The Microsoft Smart Card Resource Manager is running.
Current reader/card status:
Readers: 1
  0: SCM Microsystems Inc. SCR35xx USB Smart Card Reader 0
--- Reader: SCM Microsystems Inc. SCR35xx USB Smart Card Reader 0
---   Card: SmartCard-HSM
---    ATR:
        3b fe 18 00 00 81 31 fe  45 80 31 81 54 48 53 4d   ;.....1.E.1.THSM
        31 73 80 21 40 81 07 fa                            1s.!@...

Analyzing card in reader: SCM Microsystems Inc. SCR35xx USB Smart Card Reader 0

--------------===========================--------------
================ Certificate 0 ================
--- Reader: SCM Microsystems Inc. SCR35xx USB Smart Card Reader 0
---   Card: SmartCard-HSM
Provider = Microsoft Base Smart Card Crypto Provider
Key Container = (null) [Default Container]

Cannot open the AT_SIGNATURE key for reader: SCM Microsystems Inc.
SCR35xx USB Smart Card Reader 0
Cannot open the AT_KEYEXCHANGE key for reader: SCM Microsystems Inc.
SCR35xx USB Smart Card Reader 0

--------------===========================--------------
================ Certificate 0 ================
--- Reader: SCM Microsystems Inc. SCR35xx USB Smart Card Reader 0
---   Card: SmartCard-HSM
Provider = Microsoft Smart Card Key Storage Provider
Key Container = (null) [Default Container]

Cannot open the  key for reader: SCM Microsystems Inc. SCR35xx USB
Smart Card Reader 0

--------------===========================--------------

Done.
CertUtil: -SCInfo command completed successfully.

> Do these utilities use PKCS#11 or the Microsoft CSP interface to the
> OpenSC minidriver?

I don't know -- I'll have to get clarification from their author.

As I mentioned in the first post, though, all the opensc command-line
tools seem to work.  From what little I know about windows, I'm
assuming somehow the right driver isn't getting found -- but I have no
idea how to pursue that.  :(

Thanks for your help, regardless.

On 8/27/2013 4:08 PM, Anthony Foiani wrote:

> Douglas --
>
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Douglas E. Engert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On 8/27/2013 12:38 AM, Anthony Foiani wrote:
>>> Greetings.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to chase down an interop bug with some utilities provided
>>> by a group I'm doing work for.
>>>
>>> I've installed the latest nightly build of opensc on a
>>> fully-up-to-date install of Windows 7 64-bit, and all the
>>> opensc-provided command-line tools work fine: I can init the card with
>>> sc-hsm-init, dump items with pkcs15-tool, etc.
>>>

>> Can you use the Microsoft command like utility:
>>    certutil -scinfo -v
>> to read the smartcard, and verify the key.
>
> It sees the reader and the ATR matches the values given in the .reg
> files I've tried.  It then gives me 3-4 dialog boxes asking me to
> insert a smart card, with the details being "A smart card was detected
> but is not the one required for the current operation. The smart card
> you are using may be missing required driver software or a required
> certificate."
>
> Here's the output from certutil:
>
> C:\Windows\System32>certutil -scinfo -v
> The Microsoft Smart Card Resource Manager is running.
> Current reader/card status:
> Readers: 1
>    0: SCM Microsystems Inc. SCR35xx USB Smart Card Reader 0
> --- Reader: SCM Microsystems Inc. SCR35xx USB Smart Card Reader 0
> ---   Card: SmartCard-HSM
> ---    ATR:
>          3b fe 18 00 00 81 31 fe  45 80 31 81 54 48 53 4d   ;.....1.E.1.THSM
>          31 73 80 21 40 81 07 fa                            1s.!@...

There are some cards that change their ATR after they are plugged in.

See:
https://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/MiniDriver

and the Caveats about warm and cold ATRs and
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981665

The OpenSC tools using the Open SC code may only be checking parts of the ATR.

The Microsoft code using the base CSP uses the registry to match ATRs.
Since you only have one card for now, you could play with the ATR and
the ATRmask that you added to the registry to cover all the possibilities.
and hopefully it will find your card.

> Analyzing card in reader: SCM Microsystems Inc. SCR35xx USB Smart Card Reader 0
>
> --------------===========================--------------
> ================ Certificate 0 ================
> --- Reader: SCM Microsystems Inc. SCR35xx USB Smart Card Reader 0
> ---   Card: SmartCard-HSM
> Provider = Microsoft Base Smart Card Crypto Provider
> Key Container = (null) [Default Container]
>
> Cannot open the AT_SIGNATURE key for reader: SCM Microsystems Inc.
> SCR35xx USB Smart Card Reader 0
> Cannot open the AT_KEYEXCHANGE key for reader: SCM Microsystems Inc.
> SCR35xx USB Smart Card Reader 0
>
> --------------===========================--------------
> ================ Certificate 0 ================
> --- Reader: SCM Microsystems Inc. SCR35xx USB Smart Card Reader 0
> ---   Card: SmartCard-HSM
> Provider = Microsoft Smart Card Key Storage Provider
> Key Container = (null) [Default Container]
>
> Cannot open the  key for reader: SCM Microsystems Inc. SCR35xx USB
> Smart Card Reader 0
>
> --------------===========================--------------
>
> Done.
> CertUtil: -SCInfo command completed successfully.
>
>> Do these utilities use PKCS#11 or the Microsoft CSP interface to the
>> OpenSC minidriver?
>
> I don't know -- I'll have to get clarification from their author.
>
> As I mentioned in the first post, though, all the opensc command-line
> tools seem to work.  From what little I know about windows, I'm
> assuming somehow the right driver isn't getting found -- but I have no
> idea how to pursue that.  :(
>
> Thanks for your help, regardless.
>
> Best regards,
> Anthony Foiani

Re: SC-HSM under Windows 7 64-bit?

Markus Kötter
On 08/27/2013 11:08 PM, Anthony Foiani wrote:
>    0: SCM Microsystems Inc. SCR35xx USB Smart Card Reader 0
> --- Reader: SCM Microsystems Inc. SCR35xx USB Smart Card Reader 0
> ---   Card: SmartCard-HSM

I guess certmgr.msc will show you the content of the card in the cert store.
In case I'm right, 'it works' as far as Windows/OpenSC is concerned.

The windows notification "no driver was installed" when inserting the
card can be ignored or worked around, but does not affect functionality.

MfG
Markus

On 8/28/2013 2:03 AM, Markus Kötter wrote:
> On 08/27/2013 11:08 PM, Anthony Foiani wrote:
>>     0: SCM Microsystems Inc. SCR35xx USB Smart Card Reader 0
>> --- Reader: SCM Microsystems Inc. SCR35xx USB Smart Card Reader 0
>> ---   Card: SmartCard-HSM
>
> I guess certmgr.msc will show you the content of the card in the cert store.
> In case I'm right, 'it works' as far as Windows/OpenSC is concerned.

The above was only part of the output of certutil -scinfo -v

There are number of messages like trying to read  certificate 0
Cannot open the AT_SIGNATURE key for reader: SCM Microsystems Inc.
Cannot open the AT_KEYEXCHANGE key for reader: SCM Microsystems Inc.
Cannot open the  key for reader: SCM Microsystems Inc. SCR35xx USB

This would lead me to believe the minidriver is not being called.
by the Microsoft code. This maybe caused by the card changing the ATR
(cold vs hot ATRs)

Since Anthony was able to use opensc tools that don't use the
minidrive. I am assuming that there are certificates and keys on the card.

I am not sure where the string SmartCard-HSM came from. It maybe the
registry changes added to get it to find the cold ATR.

On 08/28/2013 03:50 PM, Douglas E. Engert wrote:
> There are number of messages like trying to read  certificate 0
> Cannot open the AT_SIGNATURE key for reader: SCM Microsystems Inc.
> Cannot open the AT_KEYEXCHANGE key for reader: SCM Microsystems Inc.
> Cannot open the  key for reader: SCM Microsystems Inc. SCR35xx USB
>
> This would lead me to believe the minidriver is not being called.
> by the Microsoft code. This maybe caused by the card changing the ATR
> (cold vs hot ATRs)

Smartcard-HSM cards do not have cold/hot ATR, they are single ATR.
I got these cards myself and they work fine for me on windows 7/x86_64
using the provided registry entries (Wow64 ..) and installing opensc 32
and 64 bit.

MfG
Markus

On 8/28/2013 10:37 AM, Markus Kötter wrote:

> On 08/28/2013 03:50 PM, Douglas E. Engert wrote:
>> There are number of messages like trying to read  certificate 0
>> Cannot open the AT_SIGNATURE key for reader: SCM Microsystems Inc.
>> Cannot open the AT_KEYEXCHANGE key for reader: SCM Microsystems Inc.
>> Cannot open the  key for reader: SCM Microsystems Inc. SCR35xx USB
>>
>> This would lead me to believe the minidriver is not being called.
>> by the Microsoft code. This maybe caused by the card changing the ATR
>> (cold vs hot ATRs)
>
> Smartcard-HSM cards do not have cold/hot ATR, they are single ATR.
> I got these cards myself and they work fine for me on windows 7/x86_64
> using the provided registry entries (Wow64 ..) and installing opensc 32
> and 64 bit.

Well then maybe Anthony's problem is not having both 32 and 64 bit opensc?

> MfG
> Markus

Re: SC-HSM under Windows 7 64-bit?

Anthony Foiani
Douglas, Markus --

Thanks very much for pursuing this.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Douglas E. Engert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 8/28/2013 10:37 AM, Markus Kötter wrote:
> > Smartcard-HSM cards do not have cold/hot ATR, they are single ATR.

And the ATR does match the registry entries.

But the device manager is showing them with location "ScFilter", which
I thought was the hot/cold handler?  Could that be an issue?

Snapshot of dev manager:
http://foiani.home.dyndns.org/~tony/smart-card-dev-mgr.png

> > I got these cards myself and they work fine for me on windows 7/x86_64
> > using the provided registry entries (Wow64 ..) and installing opensc 32
> > and 64 bit.
>
> Well then maybe Anthony's problem is not having both 32 and 64 bit opensc?

So far as I know, I installed them both.  Yes; "uninstall programs" is
showing "OpenSC" and "OpenSC (64bit)".

Best regards,
Anthony Foiani

Re: SC-HSM under Windows 7 64-bit?

Anthony Foiani
On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Anthony Foiani
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Douglas, Markus --
>
> Thanks very much for pursuing this.
>
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Douglas E. Engert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 8/28/2013 10:37 AM, Markus Kötter wrote:
>> > Smartcard-HSM cards do not have cold/hot ATR, they are single ATR.
>
> And the ATR does match the registry entries.
>
> But the device manager is showing them with location "ScFilter", which
> I thought was the hot/cold handler?  Could that be an issue?
>
> Snapshot of dev manager:
> http://foiani.home.dyndns.org/~tony/smart-card-dev-mgr.png
>
>> > I got these cards myself and they work fine for me on windows 7/x86_64
>> > using the provided registry entries (Wow64 ..) and installing opensc 32
>> > and 64 bit.
>>
>> Well then maybe Anthony's problem is not having both 32 and 64 bit opensc?
>
> So far as I know, I installed them both.  Yes; "uninstall programs" is
> showing "OpenSC" and "OpenSC (64bit)".
>
> Best regards,
> Anthony Foiani

Re: SC-HSM under Windows 7 64-bit?

Anthony Foiani
Greetings.

(Apologies for the previous empty message, hit the wrong button...)

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

It turns out that the root cause of the failure was much more prosaic:
the author of the original scripts had OpenSC (and OpenSSL) in their
PATH, and did not check for this on other systems.

So when I ran it on my system, it was unable to find the needed
executables.  (Why "GENERAL ERROR" instead of "PATH NOT FOUND", I
don't know.)

Apologies for the noise, and thanks again for the help.  I'm up and
running now, and can begin to investigate the actual issue my client
is facing.  :)

Best regards,
Anthony Foiani

Re: SC-HSM under Windows 7 64-bit?

scott_thomas007
Bonjour,

I am facing the same issue and stuck. Please help

Regards