Security Problems with Tokens and Smartcards according to BCFS CCS 10 Paper (link in body)

Security Problems with Tokens and Smartcards according to BCFS CCS 10 Paper (link in body)

Christoph Sievers
Hi,

I stumbled upon this paper

http://www.lsv.ens-cachan.fr/Publis/PAPERS/PDF/BCFS-ccs10.pdf

that contains a table where different products are said to be vulnerable
to certain attacks (checked with a tool called Tookan)

Vendors are Feitian, Aladdin, Sata, Gemtalto, etc.

The document mentions the following attacks - since I'm new to the
matter I was asking myself wether I should avoid products that were
mentioned to be vulnerable in the document.

wrap/decrypt attack based on symmetric keys

wrap/decrypt attack based on asymmetric keys

sensitive keys are directly readable

unextractable keys are directly readable (forbidden by the standard)

sensitive/unextractable keys can be changed into nonsensitive/extractable

Has this paper already been discussed here? I tried searching for it but
could not find anythin on the list, yet.

rgds
Christoph Sievers

Re: Security Problems with Tokens and Smartcards according to BCFS CCS 10 Paper (link in body)

On Feb 27, 2011, at 2:00 PM, Christoph Sievers wrote:
> I stumbled upon this paper
> http://www.lsv.ens-cachan.fr/Publis/PAPERS/PDF/BCFS-ccs10.pdf
Thanks, interesting reading material.

> that contains a table where different products are said to be vulnerable
> to certain attacks (checked with a tool called Tookan)
>
> Vendors are Feitian, Aladdin, Sata, Gemtalto, etc.
>
> The document mentions the following attacks - since I'm new to the
> matter I was asking myself wether I should avoid products that were
> mentioned to be vulnerable in the document.

It does not describe problems with the actual hardware, it describes logic flaws in the PKCS#11 host software of a token, if used in a specific way.

> wrap/decrypt attack based on symmetric keys
> wrap/decrypt attack based on asymmetric keys
OpenSC does not support wrapping or creating key material as session objects in the context of PKCS#11. In fact, at the moment the OpenSC PKCS#11 implementations does not really promote the generation of onboard keys via PKCS#11, as the PKCS#11 model is somewhat limited and does not match smart card world 1:1.

> sensitive keys are directly readable
> unextractable keys are directly readable (forbidden by the standard)
> sensitive/unextractable keys can be changed into nonsensitive/extractable

OpenSC is a gateway to the hardware capabilities of a smart card. A smart card enforces any rules (like access conditions) in hardware and OpenSC PKCS#11 module just implements the interface to access the device.

> Has this paper already been discussed here? I tried searching for it but
> could not find anythin on the list, yet.
No, but links to such papers are most welcome in the future as well.

--
@MartinPaljak.net
+3725156495