Seeking recommendation of any NFC compliant smart card reader

123

Re: Seeking recommendation of any NFC compliant smart card reader

Martin Paljak-4
On 11/02/15 22:52, Linda Yu wrote:
> I tried to read Texas Instruments Dynamic NFC Interface Transponder (RF430CL330H) using ACR122U and got invalid card error message. Does that mean libpcsclite/pcscd middleware doesn't support this card? This is the candidate card for our demo. It seems like libnfc depends on libpcsclite. How long does it take to get a new card supported if I submit it at: http://smartcard-atr.appspot.com?

The smartcard-atr app is just a mapping of ATR-s to names and nothing
more, the presence or absence of a card from the list does not have any
further meaning.

Also, no support magically happens after posting something on the
internet, you probably have to write some yourself ;)

On 12/02/15 01:05, William Roberts wrote:
> NDEF tags, are essentially a seperate thing. The protocol on which they
> work I am not familiar with. However, its different then smart cards in
> that you dont send apdu's and
> have all this abstraction. You usually just read and right simple ndef tags
> with libnfc directly. However, you can't really implement logic in an ndef
> tag, as their just simple storage objects,
> where as smart cards are actually running applets, and code, and thus are
> more of an active rather than passive entity.

The beginning was mostly correct but this is incorrect.

OpenSC deals with *PKI* cards, but has generic low level tools for
sending APDU-s to any supported reader, if you want.

NDEF can be also implemented on "traditional" smart cards, have a look here:

https://github.com/slomo/ndef-javacard

Re: Seeking recommendation of any NFC compliant smart card reader

William Roberts

On Feb 11, 2015 8:40 PM, "Martin Paljak" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/02/15 01:05, William Roberts wrote:
> > NDEF tags, are essentially a seperate thing. The protocol on which they
> > work I am not familiar with. However, its different then smart cards in
> > that you dont send apdu's and
> > have all this abstraction. You usually just read and right simple ndef tags
> > with libnfc directly. However, you can't really implement logic in an ndef
> > tag, as their just simple storage objects,
> > where as smart cards are actually running applets, and code, and thus are
> > more of an active rather than passive entity.
>

> The beginning was mostly correct but this is incorrect.
>
> OpenSC deals with *PKI* cards, but has generic low level tools for
> sending APDU-s to any supported reader, if you want.
>
> NDEF can be also implemented on "traditional" smart cards, have a look here:
>
> https://github.com/slomo/ndef-javacard

Thanks, I know nothing on ndef. But glancing at this code its apdu and EF based. Looks like the Aid is for an ndef applet is D2 76 00 00 85 01 01

I stand by my statement. If you want to read and write ndef use libnfc.

RE: Seeking recommendation of any NFC compliant smart card reader

Linda Yu

On Feb 11, 2015 8:40 PM, "Martin Paljak" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/02/15 01:05, William Roberts wrote:
> > NDEF tags, are essentially a seperate thing. The protocol on which they
> > work I am not familiar with. However, its different then smart cards in
> > that you dont send apdu's and
> > have all this abstraction. You usually just read and right simple ndef tags
> > with libnfc directly. However, you can't really implement logic in an ndef
> > tag, as their just simple storage objects,
> > where as smart cards are actually running applets, and code, and thus are
> > more of an active rather than passive entity.
>

> The beginning was mostly correct but this is incorrect.
>
> OpenSC deals with *PKI* cards, but has generic low level tools for
> sending APDU-s to any supported reader, if you want.
>
> NDEF can be also implemented on "traditional" smart cards, have a look here:
>
> https://github.com/slomo/ndef-javacard

Thanks, I know nothing on ndef. But glancing at this code its apdu and EF based. Looks like the Aid is for an ndef applet is D2 76 00 00 85 01 01

I stand by my statement. If you want to read and write ndef use libnfc.

Libpcsclite, pcscd and libusb are the dependencies when I installed libnfc. It seems that libnfc depends on libpcsclite/pcscd. So I thought libnfc wouldn’t work with TI NFC tag either if the tag is not supported by libpcsclite/pcscd. I have difficulty to make libnfc work with the reader at the moment. Otherwise, I’ll give it a try.

Thanks Bill and Martin for your help!

http://opensc.1086184.n5.nabble.com/Seeking-recommendation-of-any-NFC-compliant-smart-card-reader-tp15093p15151.html

To unsubscribe from Seeking recommendation of any NFC compliant smart card reader, click here.
NAML

On Feb 11, 2015 8:40 PM, "Martin Paljak" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/02/15 01:05, William Roberts wrote:
> > NDEF tags, are essentially a seperate thing. The protocol on which they
> > work I am not familiar with. However, its different then smart cards in
> > that you dont send apdu's and
> > have all this abstraction. You usually just read and right simple ndef tags
> > with libnfc directly. However, you can't really implement logic in an ndef
> > tag, as their just simple storage objects,
> > where as smart cards are actually running applets, and code, and thus are
> > more of an active rather than passive entity.
>

> The beginning was mostly correct but this is incorrect.
>
> OpenSC deals with *PKI* cards, but has generic low level tools for
> sending APDU-s to any supported reader, if you want.
>
> NDEF can be also implemented on "traditional" smart cards, have a look here:
>
> https://github.com/slomo/ndef-javacard

Thanks, I know nothing on ndef. But glancing at this code its apdu and EF based. Looks like the Aid is for an ndef applet is D2 76 00 00 85 01 01

I stand by my statement. If you want to read and write ndef use libnfc.

Libpcsclite, pcscd and libusb are the dependencies when I installed libnfc. It seems that libnfc depends on libpcsclite/pcscd. So I thought libnfc wouldn’t work with TI NFC tag either if the tag is not supported by libpcsclite/pcscd. I have difficulty to make libnfc work with the reader at the moment. Otherwise, I’ll give it a try.

When you use libnfc I think you need to reload the pn533 kernel module.

Thanks Bill and Martin for your help!

http://opensc.1086184.n5.nabble.com/Seeking-recommendation-of-any-NFC-compliant-smart-card-reader-tp15093p15151.html

To unsubscribe from Seeking recommendation of any NFC compliant smart card reader, click here.
NAML

Respectfully,

William C Roberts

RE: Seeking recommendation of any NFC compliant smart card reader

Linda Yu

On Feb 11, 2015 8:40 PM, "Martin Paljak" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/02/15 01:05, William Roberts wrote:
> > NDEF tags, are essentially a seperate thing. The protocol on which they
> > work I am not familiar with. However, its different then smart cards in
> > that you dont send apdu's and
> > have all this abstraction. You usually just read and right simple ndef tags
> > with libnfc directly. However, you can't really implement logic in an ndef
> > tag, as their just simple storage objects,
> > where as smart cards are actually running applets, and code, and thus are
> > more of an active rather than passive entity.
>

> The beginning was mostly correct but this is incorrect.
>
> OpenSC deals with *PKI* cards, but has generic low level tools for
> sending APDU-s to any supported reader, if you want.
>
> NDEF can be also implemented on "traditional" smart cards, have a look here:
>
> https://github.com/slomo/ndef-javacard

Thanks, I know nothing on ndef. But glancing at this code its apdu and EF based. Looks like the Aid is for an ndef applet is D2 76 00 00 85 01 01

I stand by my statement. If you want to read and write ndef use libnfc.

Libpcsclite, pcscd and libusb are the dependencies when I installed libnfc. It seems that libnfc depends on libpcsclite/pcscd. So I thought libnfc wouldn’t work with TI NFC tag either if the tag is not supported by libpcsclite/pcscd. I have difficulty to make libnfc work with the reader at the moment. Otherwise, I’ll give it a try.

When you use libnfc I think you need to reload the pn533 kernel module.

I finally made libnfc work on native linux platform. Actually, both pn533 and nfc need to be put in the blacklist for libnfc to work (refer to following link)

http://www.libnfc.org/community/topic/668/solved-scl3711-interface-0-claimed-by-pn533-nfclist-sets-conf/

Thanks for your generous support. Much appreciated!

http://opensc.1086184.n5.nabble.com/Seeking-recommendation-of-any-NFC-compliant-smart-card-reader-tp15093p15153.html