Status of the server migration

merry xmas / happy holidays everyone!

If you don't read this in the coming day: all is fine, enjoy your time
off with friends and family or skiing or ...

But for those with time on their hands for open source project work:
can someone summarize the current status of our server migration?

* source code: now all in git on github, right? Does everyone have
access who needs?
  What is the new system, people are asked to push patches to the
mailing list and someone collects them?
  Or should people have their own repo, publish patches there and
someone else pulls them? (more work, maybe not such a good idea)
  Or do we have an rietveld instance somewhere, so people can push
changes there (how?) and they get compile-build-tested?
* mailing lists: no idea what the current status is (i.e. this is a
test mail). Do we have new lists? Subscribers migrated or invited?
  Does this old list still work, or should I shut it down?
* Continuous build: is there a replacement system for the (jenkins?)
system we have/had on the old server?
* Trac/Wiki/.... -> any progress here? I remember so offerings and
questions to migrate, but no status update since - maybe I missed it?
* opensc-project.org domain - registered to martin paljak, opensc.org
reigstered to same unknown person - opensc.com for sale.
  any chance to move one of the domains to (whom?) someone? or live
without them?

Anything else I missed?

As said, I'd like to retire the server end of year, as it is a very
old and unmaintained installation.

Re: Status of the server migration

Peter Stuge-4
Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> * Trac/Wiki/.... -> any progress here? I remember so offerings and
> questions to migrate, but no status update since - maybe I missed it?

No progress, the offer is still good, but no chance of making it
happen before end of year.

//Peter

Re: Status of the server migration

Viktor Tarasov-3
Hello, merry Christmas,

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Andreas Jellinghaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
But for those with time on their hands for open source project work:
can someone summarize the current status of our server migration?

* source code: now all in git on github, right? Does everyone have
access who needs?
  What is the new system, people are asked to push patches to the
mailing list and someone collects them?
  Or should people have their own repo, publish patches there and
someone else pulls them? (more work, maybe not such a good idea)
  Or do we have an rietveld instance somewhere, so people can push
changes there (how?) and they get compile-build-tested?

All sources, OpenSC and sub-projects, are in github.

The contributions are passing through the pull-requests.
The pull requests from 'confirmed' contributors are automatically built on Ubuntu and Windows-Vista (other platforms are coming).
For the other contributors the build of pull request has to be validated by one of 'admins' .
'Admins' can add contributor to the 'confirmed contributors' list.
The 'admin' operations are accessible through the coded messages in comments to the pull-request.

Admin can merge pull-request using the github interface,
but, for the sake of linear git's history,
it's preferable to pull the contributor's branch into the local branch, rebase it if necessary
and push it 'ff-only' to the github's master.

* mailing lists: no idea what the current status is (i.e. this is a
test mail). Do we have new lists? Subscribers migrated or invited?
  Does this old list still work, or should I shut it down?

The mailing lists with the same names are created on SF.
The request to import the 'OpenSC' archive (for a while only OpenSC) is pending.

* Continuous build: is there a replacement system for the (jenkins?)
system we have/had on the old server?

https://opensc.fr/jenkins is currently working for OpenSC.
Currently it builds the commits to 'master' and 'staging', 'releases' and 'pull-requests'.
It still needs some efforts/support to build the packages on SuSE and debian,
and to run automatic tests.
There is no slaves to build for MAC.

* Trac/Wiki/.... -> any progress here? I remember so offerings and
questions to migrate, but no status update since - maybe I missed it?

We are waiting solution from Peter.

If something will no go as he expects,
the alternative solution is to use the Wiki on github.
Currently all wiki pages of OpenSC are migrated to github.

Sure, the github wiki is not the equivalent substitution to the Wiki&Trac,
but an advantage is that there is no dependence on particular person to get it running.

* opensc-project.org domain - registered to martin paljak, opensc.org
reigstered to same unknown person - opensc.com for sale.
  any chance to move one of the domains to (whom?) someone? or live
without them?

I have no much experience, but
my guess is if Peter will create a real wiki&trac, he could use this domain for this service.

If not, I can use this domain for the actual opensc.fr platform.

Anything else I missed?

As said, I'd like to retire the server end of year, as it is a very
old and unmaintained installation.

Viktor.

Re: Status of the server migration

Ludovic Rousseau
Hello all,

2012/12/26 Viktor Tarasov <[hidden email]>:
> On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Andreas Jellinghaus <[hidden email]>

>> * mailing lists: no idea what the current status is (i.e. this is a
>> test mail). Do we have new lists? Subscribers migrated or invited?
>>   Does this old list still work, or should I shut it down?
>

> The mailing lists with the same names are created on SF.
> The request to import the 'OpenSC' archive (for a while only OpenSC) is
> pending.
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=497423&aid=3596976&group_id=61487

Viktor, this request has been closed the same day you opened it.
It looks like it is not the correct procedure.

I just sent an email on each of the 3 lists to ask users to
resubscribe to the lists at SF.

>> * Trac/Wiki/.... -> any progress here? I remember so offerings and
>> questions to migrate, but no status update since - maybe I missed it?
>
> We are waiting solution from Peter.

I don't think we can count on Peter. I had a bad experience on the
libusb project and waited after Peter for a new release during 2 years
before participating to a forked project (libusbx).

> If something will no go as he expects,
> the alternative solution is to use the Wiki on github.
> Currently all wiki pages of OpenSC are migrated to github.
> https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/wiki
>
> Sure, the github wiki is not the equivalent substitution to the Wiki&Trac,
> but an advantage is that there is no dependence on particular person to get
> it running.

I do not like it at all but we may have lose all the bugs reported at
opensc-project.org and start a new collection at github.

If it is possible to do it automatically we may add a comment to every
bug asking the bug reporter to report it again on github if the bug is
still valid.

>> * opensc-project.org domain - registered to martin paljak, opensc.org
>> reigstered to same unknown person - opensc.com for sale.
>>   any chance to move one of the domains to (whom?) someone? or live
>> without them?
>

> I have no much experience, but
> my guess is if Peter will create a real wiki&trac, he could use this domain
> for this service.
>
> If not, I can use this domain for the actual opensc.fr platform.

Martin is busy with other project and real life.
The best we can do is ask him to redirect opensc-project.org to
opensc.org so a web site is still available.

>> Anything else I missed?
>>
>> As said, I'd like to retire the server end of year, as it is a very
>> old and unmaintained installation.

Andreas, can you wait until mid-January before retiring the server so
I have a chance to backup what I can? I am not at home now.

Thanks

Re: Status of the server migration

Greg Troxel

  All sources, OpenSC and sub-projects, are in github.

A perspective from someone on the outside who is trying to pay
attention:

  It would be helpful if the sourceforge page links to something that is
  part of the future, and points out the github repos, and that there
  are no repos on sourceforge.  If sourceforge is not ok with this then
  a new strategy may be needed :-)

  If the opensc-project.org wiki is going away, it would be good to have
  the front wiki page have a note about that  and pointers to
  sourceforge and github.

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Ludovic Rousseau <[hidden email]> wrote:
2012/12/26 Viktor Tarasov <[hidden email]>:
> On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Andreas Jellinghaus <[hidden email]>

>> * mailing lists: no idea what the current status is (i.e. this is a
>> test mail). Do we have new lists? Subscribers migrated or invited?
>>   Does this old list still work, or should I shut it down?
>

> The mailing lists with the same names are created on SF.
> The request to import the 'OpenSC' archive (for a while only OpenSC) is
> pending.
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=497423&aid=3596976&group_id=61487

Viktor, this request has been closed the same day you opened it.
It looks like it is not the correct procedure.

Sorry, the correct link is:

I just sent an email on each of the 3 lists to ask users to
resubscribe to the lists at SF.

>> * Trac/Wiki/.... -> any progress here? I remember so offerings and
>> questions to migrate, but no status update since - maybe I missed it?
>
> We are waiting solution from Peter.

I don't think we can count on Peter. I had a bad experience on the
libusb project and waited after Peter for a new release during 2 years
before participating to a forked project (libusbx).

> If something will no go as he expects,
> the alternative solution is to use the Wiki on github.
> Currently all wiki pages of OpenSC are migrated to github.
> https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/wiki
>
> Sure, the github wiki is not the equivalent substitution to the Wiki&Trac,
> but an advantage is that there is no dependence on particular person to get
> it running.

I do not like it at all but we may have lose all the bugs reported at
opensc-project.org and start a new collection at github.

If it is possible to do it automatically we may add a comment to every
bug asking the bug reporter to report it again on github if the bug is
still valid.

Ok, I see.  I will look around for a different solution.
Probably migrate trac&wiki to my platform .

>> * opensc-project.org domain - registered to martin paljak, opensc.org
>> reigstered to same unknown person - opensc.com for sale.
>>   any chance to move one of the domains to (whom?) someone? or live
>> without them?
>

> I have no much experience, but
> my guess is if Peter will create a real wiki&trac, he could use this domain
> for this service.
>
> If not, I can use this domain for the actual opensc.fr platform.

Martin is busy with other project and real life.
The best we can do is ask him to redirect opensc-project.org to
opensc.org so a web site is still available.

Currently my platform use the 'opensc.fr' domain name,
but, it can be changed for 'opensc.org', if necessary.

>> Anything else I missed?
>>
>> As said, I'd like to retire the server end of year, as it is a very
>> old and unmaintained installation.

Andreas, can you wait until mid-January before retiring the server so
I have a chance to backup what I can? I am not at home now.

Thanks

Re: Status of the server migration

Lukas Wunner

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 04:26:38PM +0100, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
> I do not like it at all but we may have lose all the bugs reported at
> opensc-project.org and start a new collection at github.

There's some valuable stuff in Trac like a GemSafeV2 driver which
never got merged (http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/ticket/267).
Losing that would really be unfortunate.

Kind regards,

Lukas

2012/12/27 Ludovic Rousseau <[hidden email]>:

> Hello all,
>
> 2012/12/26 Viktor Tarasov <[hidden email]>:
>> On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Andreas Jellinghaus <[hidden email]>
>
>>> * mailing lists: no idea what the current status is (i.e. this is a
>>> test mail). Do we have new lists? Subscribers migrated or invited?
>>>   Does this old list still work, or should I shut it down?
>>

>> The mailing lists with the same names are created on SF.
>> The request to import the 'OpenSC' archive (for a while only OpenSC) is
>> pending.
>> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=497423&aid=3596976&group_id=61487
>
> Viktor, this request has been closed the same day you opened it.
> It looks like it is not the correct procedure.
>
> I just sent an email on each of the 3 lists to ask users to
> resubscribe to the lists at SF.
>
>>> * Trac/Wiki/.... -> any progress here? I remember so offerings and
>>> questions to migrate, but no status update since - maybe I missed it?
>>
>> We are waiting solution from Peter.
>
> I don't think we can count on Peter. I had a bad experience on the
> libusb project and waited after Peter for a new release during 2 years
> before participating to a forked project (libusbx).
>
>> If something will no go as he expects,
>> the alternative solution is to use the Wiki on github.
>> Currently all wiki pages of OpenSC are migrated to github.
>> https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/wiki
>>
>> Sure, the github wiki is not the equivalent substitution to the Wiki&Trac,
>> but an advantage is that there is no dependence on particular person to get
>> it running.
>
> I do not like it at all but we may have lose all the bugs reported at
> opensc-project.org and start a new collection at github.
>
> If it is possible to do it automatically we may add a comment to every
> bug asking the bug reporter to report it again on github if the bug is
> still valid.
>
>>> * opensc-project.org domain - registered to martin paljak, opensc.org
>>> reigstered to same unknown person - opensc.com for sale.
>>>   any chance to move one of the domains to (whom?) someone? or live
>>> without them?
>>

>> I have no much experience, but
>> my guess is if Peter will create a real wiki&trac, he could use this domain
>> for this service.
>>
>> If not, I can use this domain for the actual opensc.fr platform.
>
> Martin is busy with other project and real life.
> The best we can do is ask him to redirect opensc-project.org to
> opensc.org so a web site is still available.
>
>>> Anything else I missed?
>>>
>>> As said, I'd like to retire the server end of year, as it is a very
>>> old and unmaintained installation.
>
> Andreas, can you wait until mid-January before retiring the server so
> I have a chance to backup what I can? I am not at home now.

Sure, that is fine. I'd prefer to shutdown those parts that are
migrated already -
i.e., make the SVN read-only (is this possible), set the mailing lists
to moderated etc.

Andreas

Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
> >> * Trac/Wiki/.... -> any progress here? I remember so offerings and
> >> questions to migrate, but no status update since - maybe I missed it?
> >
> > We are waiting solution from Peter.
>
> I don't think we can count on Peter. I had a bad experience on the
> libusb project and waited after Peter for a new release during 2
> years before participating to a forked project (libusbx).

You waited and you complained. I wish you would have actually
produced a release branch instead, even if that branch included
nothing at all besides the #69 bugfix which bit ccid. My guess is
that noone would have bothered with a fork if you had done that.

As I have explained several times in places where you have probably
already seen it, if someone had proposed a 1.0.8.1 branch with only
bugfixes then I would have been happy to release it. The idea to
do that myself never occured to me, and while the very loud project
leader of the fork loves to spin rhetoric in an attempt make more out
of that than there really is, the fact remains that nobody came up
with a bugfix release branch.

It's really easy to wait and to complain. It's apparently really hard
to produce something that can be released.

> I do not like it at all but we may have lose all the bugs

I think that's silly.

> Andreas, can you wait until mid-January before retiring the server so
> I have a chance to backup what I can? I am not at home now.

<sarcasm>
I don't think we can count on you to make a backup within that time.
</sarcasm>

I hope you agree that my above sarcasm is absolutely ridiculous..

Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> Sure, that is fine. I'd prefer to shutdown those parts that are
> migrated already - i.e., make the SVN read-only (is this possible),
> set the mailing lists to moderated etc.

Feel free to shut everything down besides SSH access. If someone
sends me an index.html file explaining that Trac is down because of
the migration then I'm happy to host it on the same URL that will
later serve the Trac instance.

//Peter

2012/12/27 Greg Troxel <[hidden email]>:

>   All sources, OpenSC and sub-projects, are in github.
>
> A perspective from someone on the outside who is trying to pay
> attention:
>
>   It would be helpful if the sourceforge page links to something that is
>   part of the future, and points out the github repos, and that there
>   are no repos on sourceforge.  If sourceforge is not ok with this then
>   a new strategy may be needed :-)

Good remark.
The sourceforge project now has a link to the github wiki page.

I also created a new "OpenSC Services" page at github wiki are add a
link to that page from the sourceforge project page.

>   If the opensc-project.org wiki is going away, it would be good to have
>   the front wiki page have a note about that  and pointers to
>   sourceforge and github.

I don't know what that the opensc-project.org domain name will become.
I have no control on it.