Support for CryptoTech cards

Martynas Mickevičius
Hello,

today I started tinkering with my national ID card (I am from Lithuania). Card seems to be manufactured by CryptoTech company and proprietary drivers work well under Windows and Arch Linux when logging into sites using Firefox.

I tried out OpenSC but it seems to not support this kind of card:

➜  ~  opensc-tool -n
Using reader with a card: OMNIKEY CardMan (076B:3022) 3021 00 00
Unsupported card

And the ATR bytes of the card are:

➜  ~  opensc-tool --atr
Using reader with a card: OMNIKEY CardMan (076B:3022) 3021 00 00
3b:f8:13:00:00:81:31:fe:45:53:6d:61:72:74:41:70:70:f8

Can anyone suggest some low hanging fruit I could try to make OpenSC recognize this type of card?

My next step will be to use the Spy library and try to capture and understand the traffic that is going on when using the card.

Martynas Mickevičius

Re: Support for CryptoTech cards

Douglas E Engert

On 11/29/2014 4:24 PM, Martynas Mickevičius wrote:

> Hello,
>
> today I started tinkering with my national ID card (I am from Lithuania). Card seems to be manufactured by CryptoTech company and proprietary drivers work well under Windows and Arch Linux
> <https://github.com/2m/ccpkip11> when logging into sites using Firefox.
>
> I tried out OpenSC but it seems to not support this kind of card:
>
> ➜  ~  opensc-tool -n
> Using reader with a card: OMNIKEY CardMan (076B:3022) 3021 00 00
> Unsupported card
>
> And the ATR bytes of the card are:
>
> ➜  ~  opensc-tool --atr
> Using reader with a card: OMNIKEY CardMan (076B:3022) 3021 00 00
> 3b:f8:13:00:00:81:31:fe:45:53:6d:61:72:74:41:70:70:f8

https://smartcard-atr.appspot.com/parse?ATR=3bf81300008131fe45536d617274417070f8
says the historic bytes show an APP of martApp.

Does Lithuania have any open standards for their cards?

Searching on Google for: Lithuania smart card standards
is a start...

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 3:04 AM, Douglas E Engert <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 11/29/2014 4:24 PM, Martynas Mickevičius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> today I started tinkering with my national ID card (I am from Lithuania). Card seems to be manufactured by CryptoTech company and proprietary drivers work well under Windows and Arch Linux
> <https://github.com/2m/ccpkip11> when logging into sites using Firefox.
>
> I tried out OpenSC but it seems to not support this kind of card:
>
> ➜  ~  opensc-tool -n
> Using reader with a card: OMNIKEY CardMan (076B:3022) 3021 00 00
> Unsupported card
>
> And the ATR bytes of the card are:
>
> ➜  ~  opensc-tool --atr
> Using reader with a card: OMNIKEY CardMan (076B:3022) 3021 00 00
> 3b:f8:13:00:00:81:31:fe:45:53:6d:61:72:74:41:70:70:f8

https://smartcard-atr.appspot.com/parse?ATR=3bf81300008131fe45536d617274417070f8
says the historic bytes show an APP of martApp.

Does Lithuania have any open standards for their cards?

Searching on Google for: Lithuania smart card standards
is a start...

Did a search and could not find anything about open standards or closed ones used in this card.

I did find that before 2012 cards where manufactured by a different company. I got hold of this older card. ATR suggests (https://smartcard-atr.appspot.com/parse?ATR=3b7d94000080318065b08311c0a983009000) that it is a GemXpresso R4 72K. However OpenSC does not support that out of the box also.

One interesting thing is that this card also works with the same proprietary drivers.