Unoffical Debian/Ubuntu packages for OpenSC staging branch

Unoffical Debian/Ubuntu packages for OpenSC staging branch

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
Dear all,

As part of the Farm project with Viktor, we are happy to release
unofficial Debian/Ubuntu packages for various distributions. This is our
first message, so consider all this beta.

The OpenSC staging packages a built daily for:
* Debian SID
* Debian Squeeze
* Debian Wheezy
* Ununtu Lucid
* Ubuntu Maverick
* Ubuntu Natty
* Ubuntu Oneiric
* Ubuntu Precise

Visit http://apt.gooze.eu/ and click on the link "Installation under
GNU/Linux" for precise instructions.

Short installation instructions:
* Install pcscd framework with CCID support
sudo apt-get install pcscd pcsc-tools libccid libpcsclite1

* Import the repository GPG key
wget -q "http://apt.gooze.eu/257FF7B2.asc" -O- | sudo apt-key add -

Add the following to your /etc/apt/sources files:

Debian SID (unstable):
deb http://apt.gooze.eu/debian/ sid main
deb-src http://apt.gooze.eu/debian/ sid main

Debian Wheezy (testing):
deb http://apt.gooze.eu/debian/ wheezy main
deb-src http://apt.gooze.eu/debian/ wheezy main

Debian Squeeze (stable):
deb http://apt.gooze.eu/debian/ squeeze main
deb-src http://apt.gooze.eu/debian/ squeeze main

Ubuntu Precise:
deb http://apt.gooze.eu/debian/ precise main
deb-src http://apt.gooze.eu/debian/ precise main

Ubuntu Oneiric:
deb http://apt.gooze.eu/debian/ oneiric main
deb-src http://apt.gooze.eu/debian/ oneiric main

Ubuntu Natty:
deb http://apt.gooze.eu/debian/ natty main
deb-src http://apt.gooze.eu/debian/ natty main

Ubuntu Maverick:
deb http://apt.gooze.eu/debian/ maverick main
deb-src http://apt.gooze.eu/debian/ maverick main

Ubuntu Lucid:
deb http://apt.gooze.eu/debian/ lucid main
deb-src http://apt.gooze.eu/debian/ lucid main

OpenSC staging packages have a low priority to comply with Debian/Ubuntu
rules. Therefore, they will not conflict with OpenSC 0.13 stable release
when it is released.

To install, you need to inform APT to use GOOZE repository, otherwize it
will NOT install:

Create the following file:
/etc/apt/preferences.d/gooze

with content:
Package: *
Pin: o=apt.gooze.eu
Pin-Priority: 1001

Install OpenSC using:
$ apt-get update; apt-get install opensc/staging

Notice the /staging option which informs APT to install from staging
branch.

This is an early beta of packages. We will do our best to improve
packaging. What needs to be done:
* Add debugging instructions (no strip).
* Release updated pcscd + libccid packages on some Ubuntu distros.
* Work on other packages related to crypto and OpenSC.

One last word: the packages are building in a chroot under a VLAN with
no direct access to Internet. Our server have BIOS passwords and are
completely encrypted, with no physical access. So we hope this is secure
and we care for all these issues.

Any comments appreciated. We could not test all repositories and would
appreciate feedback.

Re: Unoffical Debian/Ubuntu packages for OpenSC staging branch

Ludovic Rousseau
2012/6/19 Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE <[hidden email]>:
> Dear all,

Hello,

> This is an early beta of packages. We will do our best to improve
> packaging. What needs to be done:
> * Add debugging instructions (no strip).
> * Release updated pcscd + libccid packages on some Ubuntu distros.
> * Work on other packages related to crypto and OpenSC.

Have you made changes to the debian/* files except adding a new
release in debian/changelog?
In other words, can you publish a diff between the official Debian
packaging and your packaging?

Le mardi 19 juin 2012 à 17:28 +0200, Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE a écrit :
> /etc/apt/preferences.d/gooze
>
> with content:
> Package: *
> Pin: o=apt.gooze.eu
> Pin-Priority: 1001

Per discussion, the correct values should be:
Package: *
Pin: release o=apt.gooze.eu
Pin-Priority: 1001

Le mercredi 20 juin 2012 à 10:37 +0200, Ludovic Rousseau a écrit :
> Have you made changes to the debian/* files except adding a new
> release in debian/changelog?
> In other words, can you publish a diff between the official Debian
> packaging and your packaging?

Dear Ludovic,

The OpenSC staging package is for developers, the community, the
regression farm and the development server. Differences are listed in
GIT and I do not wish to list all of them in the Debian packages. This
is pure GIT staging with no difference to your package.

The OpenSC staging package is meant to NOT conflict with official OpenSC
packages from Debian. For example, if you run "apt-get dist-upgrade", it
will revert to the official packages.

So whenever a new version comes in Debian, Official Debian will
superceed. I think this complies with guidelines about "unoffical"
packages.

Re: Unoffical Debian/Ubuntu packages for OpenSC staging branch

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
Dear all,

A user informs us there was an error in the repository address:
This is not "/debian" but "/ubuntu".

> Ubuntu Precise:
> deb http://apt.gooze.eu/debian/ precise main
> deb-src http://apt.gooze.eu/debian/ precise main

Should be:
> deb http://apt.gooze.eu/ubuntu/ precise main
> deb-src http://apt.gooze.eu/ubuntu/ precise main

I don't want to add confusion.

For the correct list of APT repositories, visit:
http://www.gooze.eu/howto/smartcard-quickstarter-guide/opensc-installation-under-gnu-linux