Using a smart card on a Mac

Bernardo Höhl-2
Hi list,

This is my first post.

Can someone point me to a simple tutorial how I can get an ACR38 card reader to work on my Mac OS X?

I tried to run pcsc-lite ./configure and it results:

configure: error: install libhal-dev or use --disable-libhal

Thank you,

Bernardo Höhl
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Re: Using a smart card on a Mac

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
Le mardi 16 novembre 2010 à 20:23 -0200, Bernardo Höhl a écrit :
> Can someone point me to a simple tutorial how I can get an ACR38 card
> reader to work on my Mac OS X?

Under Mac OS X, you a need a CCID compliant reader and an OpenSC
compliant smartcard.

http://www.gooze.eu/howto/smartcard-quickstarter-guide/mac-os-x-installation
covers OpenSC installation.

Then you will need a compliant OpenSC smartcard.

Re: Using a smart card on a Mac

JP Szikora-2
Bernardo Höhl a écrit :
> Hi list,

Hi Bernardo,

> This is my first post.

Welcome to the list.
> Can someone point me to a simple tutorial how I can get an ACR38 card reader to work on my Mac OS X?
>
> I tried to run pcsc-lite ./configure and it results:
>
> configure: error: install libhal-dev or use --disable-libhal

You dont' need to install/compile pcsc-lite, it is installed with
MacOSX. For ACR38, there are two versions, CCID and non-CCID... This can
be confusing. The CCID version is natively supported by the CCID driver
coming with MacOSX 10.6, and you need to install a driver for the
non-CCID version (http://www.acs.com.hk/index.php?pid=drivers&id=ACR38).

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre

Re: Using a smart card on a Mac

JP Szikora-2
Bernardo Höhl a écrit :

> Thanks Jean Pierre and Jean Michel,
>
> How do I know if the ACR38 reader is CCID version or non-CCID version?
>
> This is the info on the back of the reader:
>
> P/N: ACR38U-CFC-R
>
> S/N: RR 000966
>
> RoHS Compliant
>
> Thanks again.
>

> On 17.11.2010, at 6:41 AM, JP Szikora wrote:
>

>> The CCID version is natively supported by the CCID driver coming with MacOSX 10.6, and you need to install a driver for the non-CCID version

The USB idProduct is probably the best test. 0x90CC for the CCID version
and 0x9000 for the non-CCID version.

Jean-Pierre

Re: Using a smart card on a Mac

Ludovic Rousseau
2010/11/17 JP Szikora <[hidden email]>:
> Bernardo Höhl a écrit :
>> Thanks Jean Pierre and Jean Michel,
>>
>> How do I know if the ACR38 reader is CCID version or non-CCID version?

> The USB idProduct is probably the best test. 0x90CC for the CCID version
> and 0x9000 for the non-CCID version.

Or you can follow http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/ccid.html#CCID_compliant

But getting the idProduct using the Mac OS X "System Information" tool
should be easier.