Wondering if this would / will work...

Earl Baugh
Hello all,

I'm trying to find a way to read the information from various credit cards (and other cards) that have the "chip on front" style smart card on my Mac.

I have an old Target smart card reader (Gemplus  gcr432).   I was looking for SW options to read cards using this... and came across OpenSC
(and also SmartcardServices).   From what I've read, SmartcardServices "should" have support for the reader... (at least it's on the list of supported
readers).     I'm mostly looking for ways to read cards (at least for now), so wondering is this a configuration anybody has set up on OS X?

Thanks.

Earl

Re: Wondering if this would / will work...

> Hello all,

Hello,

> I'm trying to find a way to read the information from various credit cards
> (and other cards) that have the "chip on front" style smart card on my Mac.
>
> I have an old Target smart card reader (Gemplus  gcr432).   I was looking
> for SW options to read cards using this... and came across OpenSC
> (and also SmartcardServices).   From what I've read, SmartcardServices
> "should" have support for the reader... (at least it's on the list of
> supported
> readers).

What list?

>     I'm mostly looking for ways to read cards (at least for now),
> so wondering is this a configuration anybody has set up on OS X?

OpenSC may not help for bank cards.
But you may find something at
http://ludovicrousseau.blogspot.fr/search/label/EMV

Re: Wondering if this would / will work...

Earl Baugh
If you start on the Smartcard services ( http://smartcardservices.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/scs  ) site,
then select  USB CCID Class Driver ( http://smartcardservices.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/smartcardccid  )
And go to Dr. Ludovic's Smart Card Reader Matrix page ( http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/ccid/section.html )
it's listed.

Now since your e-mail matches "Dr. Ludovic's" :-) I'm assuming your'e the same person :-)  and perhaps you can help :-)

The Gemplus reader (gcr432) actually did read the chip on the Target card (I used it to read and write coupons when that
program was active... and I still have the credit card as a test item...)

Part of my goal here was to use this reader as part of a home automation system I'm building...   and want some "secure"
tokens to be able to use to control access to some things.   I have a number of cards that are similar to the Target one,
and believe they all might be usable...

Earl

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 4:26 PM, Ludovic Rousseau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello all,

Hello,

> I'm trying to find a way to read the information from various credit cards
> (and other cards) that have the "chip on front" style smart card on my Mac.
>
> I have an old Target smart card reader (Gemplus  gcr432).   I was looking
> for SW options to read cards using this... and came across OpenSC
> (and also SmartcardServices).   From what I've read, SmartcardServices
> "should" have support for the reader... (at least it's on the list of
> supported
> readers).

What list?

>     I'm mostly looking for ways to read cards (at least for now),
> so wondering is this a configuration anybody has set up on OS X?

OpenSC may not help for bank cards.
But you may find something at
http://ludovicrousseau.blogspot.fr/search/label/EMV

Re: Wondering if this would / will work...

> If you start on the Smartcard services (
> http://smartcardservices.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/scs  ) site,
> then select  USB CCID Class Driver (
> http://smartcardservices.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/smartcardccid  )
> And go to Dr. Ludovic's Smart Card Reader Matrix page (
> http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/ccid/section.html )
> it's listed.

At what line number do you find your reader?
I can't find any "gcr432" in this list.

Re: Wondering if this would / will work...

Earl Baugh
Not sure how I miss matched, but from what I have read (now) it matches the Gemplus 433.
(at least they look identical... and from some other reading I did to check into, the 432 and 433 may only differ by who provided them...)
From what I can find the Target ones are 432, with clear cases, and 433s were available else where..

Earl

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 7:35 AM, Ludovic Rousseau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you start on the Smartcard services (
> http://smartcardservices.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/scs  ) site,
> then select  USB CCID Class Driver (
> http://smartcardservices.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/smartcardccid  )
> And go to Dr. Ludovic's Smart Card Reader Matrix page (
> http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/ccid/section.html )
> it's listed.

At what line number do you find your reader?
I can't find any "gcr432" in this list.

Re: Wondering if this would / will work...

> Not sure how I miss matched, but from what I have read (now) it matches the
> Gemplus 433.
> (at least they look identical... and from some other reading I did to check
> into, the 432 and 433 may only differ by who provided them...)
> From what I can find the Target ones are 432, with clear cases, and 433s
> were available else where..

You can try my GemPC driver.
http://ludovic.rousseau.free.fr/softwares/ifd-GemPC/index.html