engine_pkcs11 installation question

Sachin Gaikwad
Hi all,

I am following engine_pkcs11 quickstart guide here:
https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/wiki/Engine-pkcs11-quickstart

It mentions on top this:
"Please first install the PKCS#11 Module you want to use such as OpenSC, and install libp11 (runtime and development)."

I understand what is meant by libp11. I will need to download this library and install it. What is mean by "install the PKCS#11 Module you want to use such as OpenSC"? Does it mean I need to download opensc tarball and install that as well?

Thanks,
Sachin

Re: engine_pkcs11 installation question

Douglas E Engert

On 4/10/2014 1:04 AM, Sachin Gaikwad wrote:
Hi all,

I am following engine_pkcs11 quickstart guide here:
https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/wiki/Engine-pkcs11-quickstart

It mentions on top this:
"Please first install the PKCS#11 Module you want to use such as OpenSC, and install libp11 (runtime and development)."

I understand what is meant by libp11. I will need to download this library and install it. What is mean by "install the PKCS#11 Module you want to use such as OpenSC"? Does it mean I need to download opensc tarball and install that as well?

Note the line in the above web page:

   -pre MODULE_PATH:/usr/lib/opensc-pkcs11.so

opensc-pkcs11.so is the module, but the path may be different on your system.

The engine can work with other vendor's PKCS#11 modules.

Most linux distros have packaged OpenSC, libp11, and  engine_pkcs11, so you may have to very little.

Thanks,
Sachin

Put Bad Developers to Shame
http://p.sf.net/sfu/13600_Cloudbees

 Douglas E. Engert  [hidden email]

Re: engine_pkcs11 installation question

Greg Troxel

Sachin Gaikwad <[hidden email]> writes:

> I am following engine_pkcs11 quickstart guide here:
> https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/wiki/Engine-pkcs11-quickstart
>
> It mentions on top this:
> "Please first install the PKCS#11 Module you want to use such as OpenSC,
> and install libp11 (runtime and development)."
>
> I understand what is meant by libp11. I will need to download this library
> and install it. What is mean by "install the PKCS#11 Module you want to use
> such as OpenSC"? Does it mean I need to download opensc tarball and install
> that as well?
pkcs11 is an API.  p11 wraps pkcs11 modules; as far as I can tell it
exists basically because PKCS11 headers are non-free.  So p11 is just an
API translator.  Whatever pkcs11 implementation you want to use will
need to be present, together with whatever is behind it.  One choice is
opensc, which requires pcsc-lite, to talk to a reader to a smartcard.

What is the authentication device  you are trying to use, in what
context?