is signer/ dead code?

Andreas Jellinghaus-2
is anyone using it? does anyone know how to use it?

shall we:
a) keep it in opensc
b) split it off as extra package?
c) remove it completely

I still would like to get a few comments, as I don't
know the code, don't know how to use it, or what
we should do with it.

Re: is signer/ dead code?

Nils Larsch
Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> is anyone using it? does anyone know how to use it?
>
> shall we:
> a) keep it in opensc
> b) split it off as extra package?
> c) remove it completely
>
> I still would like to get a few comments, as I don't
> know the code, don't know how to use it, or what
> we should do with it.

I've heard of some people using it so I vote for a)

Nils

Re: is signer/ dead code?

Mark Müller-2
Andreas Jellinghaus schrieb:

>is anyone using it? does anyone know how to use it?
>
>shall we:
>a) keep it in opensc
>b) split it off as extra package?
>c) remove it completely
>
>I still would like to get a few comments, as I don't
>know the code, don't know how to use it, or what
>we should do with it.
>
>Regards, Andreas

I'm using it: So I'm voting for a).

Regards,
Mark Müller

Re: is signer/ dead code?

Andreas Jellinghaus-2
Hi Mark,

> I'm using it: So I'm voting for a).

thanks, I guess we will do.

How exactly do you use the signer?
I'd like to test if it still works, but have no clue :)

Re: is signer/ dead code?

Bud P. Bruegger
FYI, I hope the signer will be replaced by an UPI approach (see
http://openportalguard.sf.net/upi.pdf).  Sirio Capizzi of Opensignature
(opensignature.sf.net) is currently implementing one that sits on top of
OpenSC but may move to a pkcs11 api in the future.  A first prototype is
out.  I've tested it on Windows with the Finish and Belgian eID cards (and
it should also work with other cards supported by OpenSC).

Apart from just signing, the UPI should also make it possible to pull
elementary files (like personal data on eID cards) from smartcards, and
possibly access to other services (maybe useful for personalization of
cards???).

Will keep you posted.

cheers
-b

At 22.03 11/09/2005 +0200, Nils Larsch wrote:

>Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
>>is anyone using it? does anyone know how to use it?
>>shall we:
>>a) keep it in opensc
>>b) split it off as extra package?
>>c) remove it completely
>>I still would like to get a few comments, as I don't
>>know the code, don't know how to use it, or what
>>we should do with it.
>
>I've heard of some people using it so I vote for a)
>
>Nils

Ing. Bud P. Bruegger, Ph.D.                 +39-0564-488577
(voice),  -21139 (fax)
Servizio Elaborazione Dati                    e-mail:  [hidden email]
Comune di
Grosseto                            http://www.comune.grosseto.it/cie/
Via Ginori,
43                                      http://OpenPortalGuard.sf.net
58100 Grosseto (Tuscany, Italy)           jabber:  [hidden email]

Free Software in Public Administration:  not just a good idea, but a necessity

Perfection is attained, not when there is nothing more to be added, but
when there is nothing more to be taken away -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery