libp11 + engine_pkcs11

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos-2
Hello,
 These two projects had several years to have a release and as it is
now distributions ship versions of it with various different patches
applied each, enabling different features each. Fortunately (or not)
there is popular software depending on engine_pkcs11 (and thus
libp11), making these two libraries quite important. I've opened [0]
and [1], but I'm not sure whether there is any developer active on
these components. If there is, would it be possible to have a release
on these components? Otherwise,  would it make sense to mark these
projects as obsolete or abandonware so that no new projects start
depending on them?

regards,
Nikos

[0]. https://github.com/OpenSC/libp11/issues/20
[1]. https://github.com/OpenSC/engine_pkcs11/issues/18

Re: libp11 + engine_pkcs11

Martin Paljak-4
On 24/08/15 11:15, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:

> Hello,
>  These two projects had several years to have a release and as it is
> now distributions ship versions of it with various different patches
> applied each, enabling different features each. Fortunately (or not)
> there is popular software depending on engine_pkcs11 (and thus
> libp11), making these two libraries quite important. I've opened [0]
> and [1], but I'm not sure whether there is any developer active on
> these components. If there is, would it be possible to have a release
> on these components? Otherwise,  would it make sense to mark these
> projects as obsolete or abandonware so that no new projects start
> depending on them?

These libraries do get quite little attention and "developer discretion"
might be justified, but eventually developers must make their own
judgements.

Also, why don't you roll a new release? Whoever uses them for real life
apps is probably the best to answer questions about usability and
releasability.

(The above should be read that if nobody objects and Nikos is willing,
he should be granted release access to these two projects.)

Re: libp11 + engine_pkcs11

> On 24/08/15 11:15, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
>> Hello,
>>  These two projects had several years to have a release and as it is
>> now distributions ship versions of it with various different patches
>> applied each, enabling different features each. Fortunately (or not)
>> there is popular software depending on engine_pkcs11 (and thus
>> libp11), making these two libraries quite important. I've opened [0]
>> and [1], but I'm not sure whether there is any developer active on
>> these components. If there is, would it be possible to have a release
>> on these components? Otherwise,  would it make sense to mark these
>> projects as obsolete or abandonware so that no new projects start
>> depending on them?
>
> These libraries do get quite little attention and "developer discretion"
> might be justified, but eventually developers must make their own
> judgements.
>
> Also, why don't you roll a new release? Whoever uses them for real life
> apps is probably the best to answer questions about usability and
> releasability.
>
> (The above should be read that if nobody objects and Nikos is willing,
> he should be granted release access to these two projects.)

I fully agree.

Nikos, do you volunteer as libp11 and engine_pkcs11 maintainer/release manager?

Re: libp11 + engine_pkcs11

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos-2
On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 10:05 PM, Ludovic Rousseau
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> These libraries do get quite little attention and "developer discretion"
>> might be justified, but eventually developers must make their own
>> judgements.
>> Also, why don't you roll a new release? Whoever uses them for real life
>> apps is probably the best to answer questions about usability and
>> releasability.
>> (The above should be read that if nobody objects and Nikos is willing,
>> he should be granted release access to these two projects.)
> I fully agree.
> Nikos, do you volunteer as libp11 and engine_pkcs11 maintainer/release manager?

No, I'll only plan and make the next release. Whether I'll be able to
follow up is not clear to me.

regards,
Nikos