minidriver setup

Erik Boström
I am investigating the possibility to use a smart card minidriver for our customer.

I've installed the OpenSC minidriver but I'm not sure it's loaded correctly. Any help appriciated.

I just want to see some proof of the minidriver being loaded correctly by Windows before starting to modify it.

Does Windows Base CSP/KSP call CardAcquireContext when card is inserted or do I need to run any program, e.g. CertMgr.msc?

Info about my steps so far:
- I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.
- installed opensc-0.13.0-win64.msi
- enabled the group policy "Smart Card Plug and Play" and "Certificate Propagation"
- updated the .inf file with the ATR bytes of my smart card (and the historical bytes for CID)
- the device manager detects the smart card as Unknown and I installed the driver manually by pointing C:\tmp where opensc-minidriver.inf is located.
- Windows device manager now lists Smart cards/"OpenSC minidriver" when I insert the smart card so the ATR in registry seems correct.
- I run certutil.exe -SCInfo, see below for output.
- Nothing is written to C:\tmp\md.log  (Users have write permission)
- Cannot find any traces of opensc-minidriver.dll being loaded when using Process Monitor from SysInternals.

Should I run some other tool to trigger Windows to communicate with the minidriver?

Best regards

Erik

Output of certutil.exe -SCInfo

The Microsoft Smart Card Resource Manager is running.
Current reader/card status:
Readers: 1
  0: OMNIKEY CardMan 3x21 0
--- Reader: OMNIKEY CardMan 3x21 0
---   Card:
---    ATR:
        3b 1e 96 80 69 77 e3 03  04 13 52 05 01 0a 82 90   ;...iw....R.....
        00                                                 .

Analyzing card in reader: OMNIKEY CardMan 3x21 0
SCardGetCardTypeProviderName: The system cannot find the file specified. 0x2 (WI
N32: 2)
Cannot retrieve Provider Name for SCardGetCardTypeProviderName: The system canno
t find the file specified. 0x2 (WIN32: 2)
Cannot retrieve Provider Name for
--------------===========================--------------

Done.
CertUtil: -SCInfo command FAILED: 0x2 (WIN32: 2)
CertUtil: The system cannot find the file specified.

Re: minidriver setup

Viktor Tarasov-3
On 02/23/2014 03:05 PM, Erik Boström wrote:

> I am investigating the possibility to use a smart card minidriver for our customer.
>
> I've installed the OpenSC minidriver but I'm not sure it's loaded correctly. Any help appriciated.
>
> I just want to see some proof of the minidriver being loaded correctly by Windows before starting to modify it.
>
> Does Windows Base CSP/KSP call CardAcquireContext when card is inserted or do I need to run any program, e.g. CertMgr.msc?
>
> Info about my steps so far:
> - I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.
> - installed opensc-0.13.0-win64.msi
> - enabled the group policy "Smart Card Plug and Play" and "Certificate Propagation"
> - updated the .inf file with the ATR bytes of my smart card (and the historical bytes for CID)
> - the device manager detects the smart card as Unknown and I installed the driver manually by pointing C:\tmp where opensc-minidriver.inf is located.
> - Windows device manager now lists Smart cards/"OpenSC minidriver" when I insert the smart card so the ATR in registry seems correct.
> - I run certutil.exe -SCInfo, see below for output.
> - Nothing is written to C:\tmp\md.log  (Users have write permission)
> - Cannot find any traces of opensc-minidriver.dll being loaded when using Process Monitor from SysInternals.
>
> Should I run some other tool to trigger Windows to communicate with the minidriver?

What card are you using? Is it supported by OpenSC?

For supported card there have to be the corresponding 'Calais/smartcard' windows registers.

Something like:
/[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\Calais\SmartCards\ePass2003]//
//"ATR"=hex:3b,9f,95,81,31,fe,9f,00,66,46,53,05,01,00,11,71,df,00,00,03,6a,82,f8//
//"ATRMask"=hex,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff//
//"Crypto Provider"="Microsoft Base Smart Card Crypto Provider"//
//"Smart Card Key Storage Provider"="Microsoft Smart Card Key Storage Provider"//
//"80000001"="opensc-minidriver.dll"//
/

The output of /Certutil.exe -SCInfo/ should show the name of crypto provider

/Provider = Microsoft Base Smart Card Crypto Provider/

> Best regards
>
> Erik
>
> Output of certutil.exe -SCInfo
>
> The Microsoft Smart Card Resource Manager is running.
> Current reader/card status:
> Readers: 1
>   0: OMNIKEY CardMan 3x21 0
> --- Reader: OMNIKEY CardMan 3x21 0
> ---   Card:
> ---    ATR:
>         3b 1e 96 80 69 77 e3 03  04 13 52 05 01 0a 82 90 ;...iw....R.....
>         00 .

> Analyzing card in reader: OMNIKEY CardMan 3x21 0
> SCardGetCardTypeProviderName: The system cannot find the file specified. 0x2 (WI
> N32: 2)
> Cannot retrieve Provider Name for SCardGetCardTypeProviderName: The system canno
> t find the file specified. 0x2 (WIN32: 2)
> Cannot retrieve Provider Name for
> --------------===========================--------------
>
> Done.
> CertUtil: -SCInfo command FAILED: 0x2 (WIN32: 2)
> CertUtil: The system cannot find the file specified.

Re: minidriver setup

Erik Boström
Thanks for the quick answer!

It's an Oberthur Cosmo card. Not supported when I tried the opensc-tool.

However, I did update the register keys for my card in the .inf file under Calais/smartcard/openSC/ATR + ATRMask.

After manual installing in Device manager, I verified that the register values are correct and thought that Windows consider them correct since the smart card is detected in Device Manager as "Smart card/OpenSC Minidriver".

Is there anything else I should verify?

Is "certutil.exe -scinfo" triggering communication with the minidriver?

Regards Erik

On 02/23/2014 06:45 PM, Erik Boström wrote:
> Thanks for the quick answer!
>
> It's an Oberthur Cosmo card. Not supported when I tried the opensc-tool.

First of all the card has to be supported by OpenSC.
OpenSC minidriver uses the internal PKCS#15 and libopensc frameworks.

Oberthur's COSMO java card (with AuthentIC applet) is supported by OpenSC.
Probably you have to try ATR of your card with 'AuthentIC' OpenSC driver
(for this create new 'card_atr' section in opensc.conf).

> [...]
>     > SCardGetCardTypeProviderName: The system cannot find the file specified. 0x2 (WI
>     > N32: 2)
>     > Cannot retrieve Provider Name for SCardGetCardTypeProviderName: The system canno
>     > t find the file specified. 0x2 (WIN32: 2)
>     > Cannot retrieve Provider Name for
>     > --------------===========================--------------
>     >
>     > Done.
>     > CertUtil: -SCInfo command FAILED: 0x2 (WIN32: 2)
>     > CertUtil: The system cannot find the file specified.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     > Managing the Performance of Cloud-Based Applications
>     > Take advantage of what the Cloud has to offer - Avoid Common Pitfalls.

Re: minidriver setup

Erik Boström
Hello again,

I solved my setup issue.

When I set the following registry values and ran "certutil -scinfo" I finally got some action in the log file (CardAcquireContext and so on)!

"Crypto Provider"="Microsoft Base Smart Card Crypto Provider"
"Smart Card Key Storage Provider"="Microsoft Smart Card Key Storage Provider"

The problem was that previously I wrote "Test" instead of "Microsoft" in the strings. I thought the strings were not verified but... they had to be valid and match some internal Crypto Provider list.

Regards Erik