new server hoster and adminstrator for opensc-project.org required

12

new server hoster and adminstrator for opensc-project.org required

opensc-project.org needs a new home: someone with a (real or virtual) server and the interest in
setting it up from scratch and keeping it running and maintaining that server, installation and service
for the project. someone who is able to win the trust of the community as new server administrator.

The current installation is terribly old. It is based on ubuntu hardy and I think that is nearing the end of its supported livetime or even is unsupported now, thus it is urgently required to rebuild the server. Over the
years we had several approaches and various people offered to take over running the server, but so far none of those worked out in the end, noone followed up after the initial discussion.

To give this new efford more motivation here is some presure: running a server without maintenance and security updates is not a good idea. Thus I will shut down the current installation at the last end of this year.

Any motivated linux administrator can setup a simple server with apache and a few copies of trac, plus postfix and a few mailing lists in a few hours or a day, with maybe a bit more time for fine tuning and migration of the content. This shouldn't be a big deal, thus there should be enough time to find someone interested in doing so and migrating opensc and related projects of the outdated installation.

Re: new server hoster and adminstrator for opensc-project.org required

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:03 PM, Andreas Jellinghaus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> opensc-project.org needs a new home: someone with a (real or virtual) server
> and the interest in
> setting it up from scratch and keeping it running and maintaining that
> server, installation and service
> for the project. someone who is able to win the trust of the community as
> new server administrator.
>
> The current installation is terribly old. It is based on ubuntu hardy and I
> think that is nearing the end of its supported livetime or even is
> unsupported now, thus it is urgently required to rebuild the server. Over
> the
> years we had several approaches and various people offered to take over
> running the server, but so far none of those worked out in the end, noone
> followed up after the initial discussion.
>
> To give this new efford more motivation here is some presure: running a
> server without maintenance and security updates is not a good idea. Thus I
> will shut down the current installation at the last end of this year.
>
> Any motivated linux administrator can setup a simple server with apache and
> a few copies of trac, plus postfix and a few mailing lists in a few hours or
> a day, with maybe a bit more time for fine tuning and migration of the
> content. This shouldn't be a big deal, thus there should be enough time to
> find someone interested in doing so and migrating opensc and related
> projects of the outdated installation.

I've had a barebones machine sitting in idle (except for being a ssh
gateway for irc...) for almost a year, but for (past) reasons not
worth mentioning, I've failed to focus sufficiently on non-real-life
matters like OpenSC for a while. This might be a good chance to a)
scope the services required for opensc-project.org and b) implement it
on a clean machine with some systematic sysadmin approach.

But for sustainable results, the scope should be seriously minimal and
limited...

Re: new server hoster and adminstrator for opensc-project.org required

Andreas Schwier (ML)

wouldn't it be better to move the remaining parts of the project to github ?

Is there anything else important left on the server than the wiki ?

What about the old svn repos ? We're still maintaining the opensc-java
code here in our repository but have no way to bring the code back into
opensc. We already thought about migrating this part into our repo at
github.

Andreas

    ---------    CardContact Software & System Consulting
   |.##> <##.|   Andreas Schwier
   |#       #|   Schülerweg 38
   |#       #|   32429 Minden, Germany
   |'##> <##'|   Phone +49 171 8334920
    ---------    http://www.cardcontact.de
                 http://www.tscons.de
                 http://www.openscdp.org

Re: new server hoster and adminstrator for opensc-project.org required

Viktor Tarasov-3

Hello,

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> opensc-project.org needs a new home: someone with a (real or virtual) server
> and the interest in
> setting it up from scratch and keeping it running and maintaining that
> server, installation and service
> for the project. someone who is able to win the trust of the community as
> new server administrator.
>
> The current installation is terribly old. It is based on ubuntu hardy and I
> think that is nearing the end of its supported livetime or even is
> unsupported now, thus it is urgently required to rebuild the server. Over
> the
> years we had several approaches and various people offered to take over
> running the server, but so far none of those worked out in the end, noone
> followed up after the initial discussion.
>
> To give this new efford more motivation here is some presure: running a
> server without maintenance and security updates is not a good idea. Thus I
> will shut down the current installation at the last end of this year.
>
> Any motivated linux administrator can setup a simple server with apache and
> a few copies of trac, plus postfix and a few mailing lists in a few hours or
> a day, with maybe a bit more time for fine tuning and migration of the
> content. This shouldn't be a big deal, thus there should be enough time to
> find someone interested in doing so and migrating opensc and related
> projects of the outdated installation.

I've had a barebones machine sitting in idle (except for being a ssh
gateway for irc...) for almost a year, but for (past) reasons not
worth mentioning, I've failed to focus sufficiently on non-real-life
matters like OpenSC for a while. This might be a good chance to a)
scope the services required for opensc-project.org and b) implement it
on a clean machine with some systematic sysadmin approach.

But for sustainable results, the scope should be seriously minimal and
limited...

I have a will to participate but not much of sysadmin experience.
So, in the absence of other solution, with some assistance I could do this work.

Currently I have an access to platform where are only running jenkins master behind apache.
This platform is largely under-used and can host additional services.

Viktor.

Re: new server hoster and adminstrator for opensc-project.org required

A small follow up: As far as I know the server does:
* svn server / code repository
* svn server / release tar.gz repository (also containing binaries)
* build robot to create nightly builds and or automated builds (jenkins?)
* many trac repositories - wiki, browser for svn, bug tracking (the bugs are not very helpful if noone works on them)
* mailing lists

So I don't know if all svn code repositories have been migrated to githup etc.
I have little knowledge what plattform would be best to fill the gaps so that we can shut down the server.
What I can do is make all configurations available to whoever wants to setup a new server, or help
with migrating to whatever plattform. If I had to pick one, I would try code.google.com (as I work for google now),
but not having much clue what plattform has what features I can be persuaded to any plattform I guess.

As people mostly focused on opensc, I would be happy if the other small projects do not get lost / don't get a second class treatment. Those should be very easy to migrate as they are tiny (e.g. libp11 and pam_p11, pam_pkcs11, engine_pkcs11) and I know for sure there are many users of those code parts around that need them (e.g. many people using TPM also use engine_pkcs11 and thus libp11 and also use pkcs11-tool from opensc for testing the TPM pkcs11 module).

I don't want to be the one deciding where to go, as I find little time for OpenSC these days (maybe "none" would be more correct). Thus I think you guys should find a compromise on the options people are offering here.

Thanks and regards,

Re: new server hoster and adminstrator for opensc-project.org required

Peter Stuge-4
Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> A small follow up: As far as I know the server does:
> * svn server / code repository
> * svn server / release tar.gz repository (also containing binaries)
> * build robot to create nightly builds and or automated builds (jenkins?)
> * many trac repositories - wiki, browser for svn, bug tracking (the bugs
> are not very helpful if noone works on them)
> * mailing lists
>
> So I don't know if all svn code repositories have been migrated to githup
> etc.
> I have little knowledge what plattform would be best to fill the gaps so
> that we can shut down the server.

If source code repos haven't been converted to git I suggest to do so
right away.

Release tarballs can and should be hosted separately from source repos.
I suggest that they are only ever uploaded manually. (Makefile)

A build robot can and should be hosted separately from source repos.

Trac integrates with git, it's not stellar in any way, but it works.

Modern Trac versions support multiple repos. I would suggest to merge
the different Trac instances into a single one. This will take manual
labor, messing around with the Trac databases.

Mailing lists aren't very fun to self-host IMO, but can certainly be done.

I run integrated Trac and git hosting for several projects for years,
I'm happy to do so also for the opensc projects, in particular the
small ones.

//Peter

Re: new server hoster and adminstrator for opensc-project.org required

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
Dear all,

> wouldn't it be better to move the remaining parts of the project to
> github ?

Sorry if I did not catch this message before.
I volunteer to take part in this project with the community.

Migrating the platform would allow to clarify the community goals and
participants. As written previously:

* Community

We need to extend the list of core hackers, to define the community and
avoid that one person blocks or takes control of the hosting
environment.

* Cheap hosting

Host a minimal web server with OpenSC page. I suggest a cheap
http://www.kimsufi.com/fr/

* GIThub

Migrate to GIThub the code repositories. Code issues and pull requests
are enough to manage bugs and evolutions, provided that there is a
clearly defined community in charge of GIThub main projects.

* Build-farm

Have separate builds farms coordinated by Jenkins. This is already the
case of our build farm (Viktor and I). And we proved to run the farm
24x365. We run the farm on real computers. We can also provide backup.

We recently bought a 12-core supermicro computer, to add to the build
farm. We have received the motherboard, casing and processors and we
still need the memory (around 96 Gb). This is meant to be a virtual
server replacing my various computers in the build farm.

It is also nice to have build farms running behind firewalls with very
limited access to Internet using vlans.

I suggest that we start with the political issues first, to design an
informal community. Then we can host OpenSC safely on GIThub and start
the migration.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel POURE
--

                      GOOZE - http://www.gooze.eu
                   High quality cryptographic tools

Re: new server hoster and adminstrator for opensc-project.org required

So, have you agreed on something? I read different opinions, offers, comments, but nothing that points out coming to some consent. What is your preference? Since I'm not really active, I don't want to decide this.

I checked googlegroups and code.google.com, worst case I can figure out how to copy/move things there.

Re: new server hoster and adminstrator for opensc-project.org required

Viktor Tarasov-3

Hello Andreas,

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:13 PM, Andreas Jellinghaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
So, have you agreed on something? I read different opinions, offers, comments, but nothing that points out coming to some consent. What is your preference? Since I'm not really active, I don't want to decide this.

I checked googlegroups and code.google.com, worst case I can figure out how to copy/move things there.

I will look into code.google.com, but beside this,
one of the solution could be to :
- move the sources of the projects to github;
- use my CI service for nightly builds;
- install on the same platform file server for release tarbals, RPMs, MSIs, etc;
- move onto the same platform wiki, trac and mailing lists.

If there will not be other suggestions,
and if the study of the googlegroups or similar will not bring other solution,
we could start the migration.

Viktor.

Re: new server hoster and adminstrator for opensc-project.org required

Alon Bar-Lev
On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> > wouldn't it be better to move the remaining parts of the project to
> > github ?
>
> Sorry if I did not catch this message before.
> I volunteer to take part in this project with the community.
>
> Migrating the platform would allow to clarify the community goals and
> participants. As written previously:
>
> * Community
>
> We need to extend the list of core hackers, to define the community and
> avoid that one person blocks or takes control of the hosting
> environment.
>
> * Cheap hosting
>
> Host a minimal web server with OpenSC page. I suggest a cheap
> http://www.kimsufi.com/fr/
>
> * GIThub
>
> Migrate to GIThub the code repositories. Code issues and pull requests
> are enough to manage bugs and evolutions, provided that there is a
> clearly defined community in charge of GIThub main projects.
>
> * Build-farm
>
> Have separate builds farms coordinated by Jenkins. This is already the
> case of our build farm (Viktor and I). And we proved to run the farm
> 24x365. We run the farm on real computers. We can also provide backup.
>
> We recently bought a 12-core supermicro computer, to add to the build
> farm. We have received the motherboard, casing and processors and we
> still need the memory (around 96 Gb). This is meant to be a virtual
> server replacing my various computers in the build farm.
>
> It is also nice to have build farms running behind firewalls with very
> limited access to Internet using vlans.
>
> I suggest that we start with the political issues first, to design an
> informal community. Then we can host OpenSC safely on GIThub and start
> the migration.
>
> Kind regards,
> Jean-Michel POURE
> --

I think github provides a good service.

Alon.

Le mardi 02 octobre 2012 à 23:13 +0200, Andreas Jellinghaus a écrit :
> So, have you agreed on something? I read different opinions, offers,
> comments, but nothing that points out coming to some consent. What is
> your preference? Since I'm not really active, I don't want to decide
> this.

Please, Github is already hosting OpenSC. Although we like Google,
migrating to Google would be an additional difficulty.

I am proposing to host the current architecture on a dedicated host in
OVH, France. OVH is the largest hosting company in Europe and has fast
links.

My point is that:
* Wiki + ticket tracking system => OVH
* GIT => Github

I also register to be the webmaster. So the community can have someone
in charge to talk to. I don't want to act alone and will do what the
community asks me to do.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel Pouré
--

                      GOOZE - http://www.gooze.eu
                   High quality cryptographic tools
                  for GNU/Linux, Mac OS X and Windows
                     including the FEITIAN PKI card
     POURE SASU - 17 rue Saint Jacques - 95160 Montmorency - France
       Tel : +33 (0)9 72 13 53 90 - Mobile : +33 (0)6 51 99 37 90
         Registry: FR 527 672 448 00018 - VAT: FR54527672448
                          ID PGP/GPG: 084F2584

Re: new server hoster and adminstrator for opensc-project.org required

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
> Beside this, one of the solution could be to : - move the sources of
> the projects to github; - use my CI service for nightly builds; -
> install on the same platform file server for release tarbals, RPMs,
> MSIs, etc; - move onto the same platform wiki, trac and mailing
> lists.

Looks like the perfect solution.

What hosting company are you using, I think this is OVH.
What is your dedicated hosting plan?

Donation of a dedicated server to the OpenSC community

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
Le mercredi 03 octobre 2012 à 10:13 +0200, Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE a
écrit :
> What is your dedicated hosting plan?

I am proposing to donate a Kimsufi 2G to the community and pay for it:
http://www.kimsufi.com/fr/

It has a dedicated IP, an ATOM processor with 2G RAM and 1T disc space.
Although the ATOM is quite slow, I think it could be enough to host the
wiki + trac.

Wiki + trac => OVH dedicated host
Github => Git
build farm: Viktor + Jean-Michel

I am of the opinion that we should have a dedicated hosting for OpenSC
main site, not in link with other hosting plans. For example, we have a
12 core computer at OVH. But I don't propose to host OpenSC there.

Independent hosting means that it belongs to the community.
We are not tight to a company and this is cheap hosting.
Then we can be several webmasters with root access.

Re: new server hoster and adminstrator for opensc-project.org required

Andreas Schwier (ML)

did anyone try the issue tracking and wiki functions on github ? Seems
that it provides the same functionality as trac.

Migrating the data might be a pain, but also gives the opportunity to
clean things up.

I would prefer a solution where everything is nicely integrated.

Other than that, I agree with Viktor to use the existing CI service and
move the other parts there.

Andreas

Am 03.10.2012 09:43, schrieb Viktor Tarasov:

> Hello Andreas,
>
> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:13 PM, Andreas Jellinghaus
>
>     So, have you agreed on something? I read different opinions,
>     offers, comments, but nothing that points out coming to some
>     consent. What is your preference? Since I'm not really active, I
>     don't want to decide this.
>
>     I checked googlegroups and code.google.com
>     <http://code.google.com>, worst case I can figure out how to
>     copy/move things there.
>

> I will look into code.google.com <http://code.google.com>, but beside
> this,
> one of the solution could be to :
> - move the sources of the projects to github;
> - use my CI service for nightly builds;
> - install on the same platform file server for release tarbals, RPMs,
> MSIs, etc;
> - move onto the same platform wiki, trac and mailing lists.
>
> If there will not be other suggestions,
> and if the study of the googlegroups or similar will not bring other
> solution,
> we could start the migration.
>

>     Regards, Andreas
>

> Kind regards,
> Viktor.

    ---------    CardContact Software & System Consulting
   |.##> <##.|   Andreas Schwier
   |#       #|   Schülerweg 38
   |#       #|   32429 Minden, Germany
   |'##> <##'|   Phone +49 571 56149
    ---------    http://www.cardcontact.de
                 http://www.tscons.de
                 http://www.openscdp.org

Re: new server hoster and adminstrator for opensc-project.org required

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
> did anyone try the issue tracking and wiki functions on github ? Seems
> that it provides the same functionality as trac.

You are right.

Github features:
https://github.com/features/projects

The issue tracking is already in use:
https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/issues

But I don't understand how to use the Wiki.
It could be nice to migrate the wiki and clean it.

The issue with Github is that the whole team should be listed.
Not one or two people like previously.

The members now are listed here:
https://github.com/OpenSC?tab=members

Ludovik, Martin and Viktor.

IMHO we need more people for a community project.
A team of 10 would be nice.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel

Am 03.10.2012 12:08, schrieb Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE:

>> did anyone try the issue tracking and wiki functions on github ? Seems
>> that it provides the same functionality as trac.
>
> You are right.
>
> Github features:
> https://github.com/features/projects
>
> The issue tracking is already in use:
> https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/issues
>
> But I don't understand how to use the Wiki.
> It could be nice to migrate the wiki and clean it.
>
> The issue with Github is that the whole team should be listed.
> Not one or two people like previously.
>
> The members now are listed here:
> https://github.com/OpenSC?tab=members
>
> Ludovik, Martin and Viktor.
>
> IMHO we need more people for a community project.
> A team of 10 would be nice.

I think it's not a matter of how many people are on the list, but how
responsive people are.

Having worked in the project for a couple of weeks now, I'm quite
confident that we have the right people in the right places.

--

    ---------    CardContact Software & System Consulting
   |.##> <##.|   Andreas Schwier
   |#       #|   Schülerweg 38
   |#       #|   32429 Minden, Germany
   |'##> <##'|   Phone +49 571 56149
    ---------    http://www.cardcontact.de
                 http://www.tscons.de
                 http://www.openscdp.org

2012/10/3 Andreas Schwier (ML) <[hidden email]>:
> did anyone try the issue tracking and wiki functions on github ? Seems
> that it provides the same functionality as trac.

For the libusbx project [1] we use the github issue tracking [2]. It
is possible to tag issues.
It is also possible to define a roadmap with milestones [3].

[1] http://libusbx.org/ (it is a fork of libusb)
[2] https://github.com/libusbx/libusbx/issues
[3] https://github.com/libusbx/libusbx/issues/milestones

> Migrating the data might be a pain, but also gives the opportunity to
> clean things up.
>
> I would prefer a solution where everything is nicely integrated.

I also agree. Closing an issue from the git commit message is a nice
feature [4].

[4] https://github.com/blog/831-issues-2-0-the-next-generation

Regarding the other sub-projects hosted at
https://www.opensc-project.org/ should be include them in the github
OpenSC organisation or somewhere else? In particular I am thinking
about PAM-PKCS#11.
I think that having them as projects under OpenSC github organisation
is fine. Any problem with that?

Re: new server hoster and adminstrator for opensc-project.org required

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
> Having worked in the project for a couple of weeks now, I'm quite
> confident that we have the right people in the right places.

Don't get me wrong: I mean that ...

The most active people in the community, including you, should be listed
as well in OpenSC GIThub project page.

Re: Donation of a dedicated server to the OpenSC community

opensc needs very few resources I think, so a much smaller system would work as well I guess.

but if there is noone specialised on setting up such a server and keeping it running well and secure, maybe
using some service like code.google.com, sourceforge, savannah or github or others would be easier?

Regards, Andreas

Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> if there is noone specialised on setting up such a server and keeping
> it running well and secure

There is, and my offer still stands.

//Peter
12