pam-p11 still exists, unstable download links

pam-p11 still exists, unstable download links

Greg Troxel

I am updating opensc-related packages in pkgsrc.

https://opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/pam_p11
references a download link, but it is 404.   Does it exist?  Should I
delete the package?

A number of packages have unstable URLS like
  https://alioth.debian.org/frs/download.php/file/4140/
I realize alioth probably works that way for a reason, but this causes
two problems:

  It's unncesssarily hard to do updates; just changing the version
  number silently gets the old bits.

  Code that tries to automatically check to see if updates are available
  (see http://www.ki.nu/~makoto/pkgsrc/check-update/00_Summary.html )
  doesn't work, because there the download base URL isn't a directory
  with a bunch of versioned tarballs.

So it would be really nice if the opensc projects had normal
distribution directories.  I'll probably update them anyway even if not :-)

Greg

Re: pam-p11 still exists, unstable download links

> I am updating opensc-related packages in pkgsrc.
>
> https://opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/pam_p11
> references a download link, but it is 404.   Does it exist?  Should I
> delete the package?

pam_p11 is hosted at https://github.com/OpenSC/pam_p11/releases
It is not really active. No change since 2013.

> A number of packages have unstable URLS like
>   https://alioth.debian.org/frs/download.php/file/4140/

This links works for me.
I agree that alioth uses strange URL. You can't just change the release number.

> I realize alioth probably works that way for a reason, but this causes
> two problems:
>
>   It's unncesssarily hard to do updates; just changing the version
>   number silently gets the old bits.
>
>   Code that tries to automatically check to see if updates are available
>   (see http://www.ki.nu/~makoto/pkgsrc/check-update/00_Summary.html )
>   doesn't work, because there the download base URL isn't a directory
>   with a bunch of versioned tarballs.
>
> So it would be really nice if the opensc projects had normal
> distribution directories.  I'll probably update them anyway even if not :-)

Sorry, I have no solution to your problem.