underscrore in package names

Andreas Jellinghaus-2
debian doesn't like it. so what shall we do with "pam_p11" and
"engine_pkcs11" packages? rename them? rename svn repositories
and trac pages as well? (we can have rewrite rules to not break
too many links and bookmarks).

pamp11 or pam-p11? engine_pkcs11 or enginepkcs11 (or engine11)?

or keep the name, and debian needs to rename them for packaging?

What shall we do? Comments welcome.

Re: underscrore in package names

Martin Paljak
On 9/8/05, Andreas Jellinghaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What shall we do? Comments welcome.
My 1 cent: You said gnu docs sometime suck.
I say debian sucks even more. I believe that too much policy makes
everything suck.

m - debian user for 8 years....

--
Martin Paljak
[hidden email]

Re: underscrore in package names

Jonsy (teleline)
El jue, 08-09-2005 a las 12:35 +0200, Andreas Jellinghaus escribió:
> debian doesn't like it. so what shall we do with "pam_p11"
[...]
> What shall we do? Comments welcome.

Are there a _real_ reason for not to use underscores in package names?

Take a look to Fedora Naming conventions:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageNamingGuidelines

Fedora suggest do not use underscores, but allows them:

[.....]
"packages where the upstream name naturally contains an underscore are
excluded from this. Examples of these packages include:

arptables_jf,dhcpv6_client,java_cup,knm_new,libart_lgpl,
lm_sensors,microcode_ctl,nss_db,nss_ldap,sg3_utils,tcp_wrappers"
[.....]

I think this can be applied to pam_pkcs11, engine_pkcs11 and so.
Not sure on lib_p11...

Anyway, as was told yesterday in this list, is not our bussines
to make packaging....

Regards.
Juan Antonio

Re: underscrore in package names

Eric Dorland
* Andreas Jellinghaus ([hidden email]) wrote:

> debian doesn't like it. so what shall we do with "pam_p11" and
> "engine_pkcs11" packages? rename them? rename svn repositories
> and trac pages as well? (we can have rewrite rules to not break
> too many links and bookmarks).
>
> pamp11 or pam-p11? engine_pkcs11 or enginepkcs11 (or engine11)?
>
> or keep the name, and debian needs to rename them for packaging?
>
> What shall we do? Comments welcome.
I don't think you really need to be beholden to our standards. It's
nice that you want to try to conform to our naming conventions, but
it's not really necessary. You can call it whatever you want, I'll
take care of normalizing it for Debian.

--
Eric Dorland <[hidden email]>
ICQ: #61138586, Jabber: [hidden email]

On Thursday 08 September 2005 12:58, Jonsy (teleline) wrote:
> Are there a _real_ reason for not to use underscores in package names?

it is an artificial limit of dpkg and friends, as far as I know.

> Anyway, as was told yesterday in this list, is not our bussines
> to make packaging....

well I make packages only for myself usualy, so I can test them on
a number of systems.

problems with svn

Jonsy (teleline)
Just a few minutes I tried to commit last changes:

[jantonio@drake trunk]$ svn commit -m "Many fixes to get 'gcc -Wall
-pedantic' friendly"
Reino de autentificación: https://www.opensc.org:443
Nombre de archivo del certificado
cliente: /home/jantonio/work/pam_pkcs11/certs/cert.p12
Frase clave para '/home/jantonio/work/pam_pkcs11/certs/cert.p12':
svn: Falló el commit (detalles a continuación):
svn: requerimiento OPTIONS falló en '/svn/pam_pkcs11/trunk/src'
svn: OPTIONS de '/svn/pam_pkcs11/trunk/src': Could not read status line:
SSL error: sslv3 alert unexpected message (https://www.opensc.org)
[jantonio@drake trunk]$

A checkout gives me PROPFIND error instead of OPTIONS

A few moments before this, I received from yum updates to httpd,
mod_ssl and subversion ( and others, but seem not relevant )

I can no more get https access to opensc svn. Google says that is
a known error:

> I'm using subversion over https, which works, but the svn commandline
exits with:

> svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn'
> svn: PROPFIND of '/svn': Could not read status line: SSL error: sslv3
alert unexpected message (https://lotta.xxxx.net)

It's a known mod_ssl issue. The work around is to add "SSLVerifyClient
optional" to the SSL vhost config, *outside* any <Location> or
<Directory> blocks.

So I suspect that svn server at opensc.org has just been updated too...
Or is my fault?.
Please help........

Anyway, attached comes the "svn diff" patch I tried to commit

Regards
Juan Antonio

pam_pkcs11.patch (13K) Download Attachment

debian rant

On Thursday 08 September 2005 12:42, Martin Paljak wrote:
> I say debian sucks even more. I believe that too much policy makes
> everything suck.

well, I'm a big debian critic myself, but I also was a debian developer
once, and I'm still searching for something better than debian and
haven't found anything in years. :)

Re: problems with svn

debian security has a 2.0.54-5 package of apache2 released,
however it is bogus and broke opensc.org svn access.

downgraded to 2.0.54-4 and it works again. opened a bug.

please try again.