version numbers [u]

1.) I want svn trunk/ to show version "WIP" - work in progress - and not a
    real version number, so it is easier to see if someone uses a release or
    some svn checkout.
2.) I wonder: for libp11, engine_pkcs11, pam_p11, gtkcard etc: do we need a
    a.b.c version number or is a.b long enough? these are quite small
    projects, so I tent towards a a.b version only.

what do you think? comments welcome.

Regards, Andreas
p.s. if someone knows a trick, so we can put the svn revision into some
version string, that would be very nice for all projects.

Re: version numbers [u]

Ludovic Rousseau
On 28/08/05, Andreas Jellinghaus [c] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1.) I want svn trunk/ to show version "WIP" - work in progress - and not a
>     real version number, so it is easier to see if someone uses a release or
>     some svn checkout.

I would prefer to have a.b.c-WIP instead of just a.b.c.
Imagine you have the following versions:
- 0.1.0
- WIP
- 0.2.0
- WIP

If a user says he is using WIP you do not know which version he is
using. Maybe he is using an old WIP.

I would prefer to use:
- 0.1.0
- 0.2.0-WIP
- 0.2.0
- 0.3.0-WIP

> 2.) I wonder: for libp11, engine_pkcs11, pam_p11, gtkcard etc: do we need a
>     a.b.c version number or is a.b long enough? these are quite small
>     projects, so I tent towards a a.b version only.

The "standard" way is to use three numbers. Even if the c number may
never be used I think it is a good idea to keep it.

> p.s. if someone knows a trick, so we can put the svn revision into some
> version string, that would be very nice for all projects.

I don't find the SVN equivalent of the CVS $Id$.
You can use "svn info | grep Revision:" but that will be tricky to
include that information in autoconf.ac or a source file.

Bye,

 For private mail use [hidden email] and not "big brother" Google

Re: Re: version numbers [u]

Andreas Jellinghaus-2
On Monday 29 August 2005 09:15, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
> If a user says he is using WIP you do not know which version he is
> using. Maybe he is using an old WIP.

opensc 0.10.0-WIP tells us not much, as it covers something like 10 months.

is there any way we can put the svn revision into that field?
hmm, svn has the svn:keywords property and it has $Rev$ but that
would be the file revision, not of the whole trunk (which would be
a lot more interesting).

> > 2.) I wonder: for libp11, engine_pkcs11, pam_p11, gtkcard etc: do we need
> >     a.b.c version number or is a.b long enough? these are quite small
> >     projects, so I tent towards a a.b version only.
>
> The "standard" way is to use three numbers. Even if the c number may
> never be used I think it is a good idea to keep it.

ok. btw: since we had "0.1" or "0.1.0" tar files in mail, files/contrib
or elsewhere, the first version from svn would be 0.1.1 or 0.2.0?

> > p.s. if someone knows a trick, so we can put the svn revision into some
> > version string, that would be very nice for all projects.
>
> I don't find the SVN equivalent of the CVS $Id$.
> You can use "svn info | grep Revision:" but that will be tricky to
> include that information in autoconf.ac or a source file.

yes. I don't want svn commands in autoconf, as someone might use a
source tar.gz, snapshot or svn export.

Re: Re: version numbers [u]

Ludovic Rousseau
On 29/08/05, Andreas Jellinghaus [c] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Monday 29 August 2005 09:15, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
> > If a user says he is using WIP you do not know which version he is
> > using. Maybe he is using an old WIP.
>
> opensc 0.10.0-WIP tells us not much, as it covers something like 10 months.
>
> is there any way we can put the svn revision into that field?
> hmm, svn has the svn:keywords property and it has $Rev$ but that
> would be the file revision, not of the whole trunk (which would be
> a lot more interesting).

Why do you need this? What is the use case?
Is it for differentiating the nightly builds? For something else?

For nightly build a script to patch a local copy of configure.ac and
replace WIP by the output of "svn info | grepRevision: " should do the
job.

On Monday 29 August 2005 10:10, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
> Why do you need this? What is the use case?
> Is it for differentiating the nightly builds? For something else?

for detailed bug reports. if someone can tell us, he used revision
xyz, then we can checkout exactly that revision and look if which
state of the code he has. the global revision number is a very nice
property of svn :)

but it is not critical importance. if we could have used it easily,
that would have been nice, but if not we will also manage.